Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Can It Go Away? (Page 1)

Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
I think my paranoid and somewhat schitzophrenic thoughts have developed from my use of marijuana, I have a really bad trip and it sort of altered my reality. I thought for a night and a day that people could see and hear everything I was thinking at any given moment, everything seemed to make sense. Although I knew better, it continued to mess w/ me, at work and w/ my coworkers, everything just seemed to be correlating to my thoughts and actions, and not my actions alone. After seeing a psichiatrist i'm now on rhisperdol and it's been about aweek, and although my anxieties are slowly going away after exposure, i'm wondering if it's too early to say that the medication isn't working? Anyone in the same position? After having smoked in a similar situation and if I will be cured or not?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 22nd, 2005
Re
Im in a similiar situation, a few years back I had a bad trip on lsd, were I basically detatched socially from my friends and was paranoid about what everyone thought of me, and perhaps feeling slightly the way you felt, I guess I havent felt the same since, and its ruining my life.

I was also a highly active marijuana user up untill a year ago, im sure that didnt help, but after my bad trip I seemed to gradually change to a anti social person, with weird thoughts and phobias, now I can have pretty bad anti social episodes/depression, and very low self confidence or esteem.

This has been going on for some time, and to cope I just became a house potatoe, never going out for years, playing video games and smoking weed all day, for years.

Every time I try to change things, I always seem to feel the same symptoms of being detatched from everyone and everything, and just fall back into my state of being anti social....I went to see a shrink a year ago he kind of sucked, and he put me on lexapro which didnt do a damn thing....I than thought I might have adult add, as I have difficulty concentrating and being able to handle conversations....

Now im wandering if I possibly have phycosis or some similiar disorder, im not completely crazy, as I dont see people or hear people who arent there, altough I do sometime sence things that arent there, like a paranoi, im easly distracted and all the sounds and sights around me kind of confuse me, but I also have disconected thoughts, im really not sure what to think, but im thinking of seeing a shrink soon in hopes it really is some mental condition that meds can help with, or if im just crazy.

However, im curios if the meds have helped you at all, if you want to talk further give me a email or aim screen name and ill message you sometime.

For anyone reading this, any ideas what could be wrong with me?
|

replied June 17th, 2005
Re: Re
guest23 wrote:
im in a similiar situation, a few years back I had a bad trip on lsd, were I basically detatched socially from my friends and was paranoid about what everyone thought of me, and perhaps feeling slightly the way you felt, I guess I havent felt the same since, and its ruining my life.

I was also a highly active marijuana user up untill a year ago, im sure that didnt help, but after my bad trip I seemed to gradually change to a anti social person, with weird thoughts and phobias, and I can have pretty bad anti social episodes/depression, and very low self confidence or esteem.

This has been going on for some time, and to cope I just became a house potatoe, never going out for years, playing video games and smoking weed all day, for years.

Every time I try to change things, I always seem to feel the same symptoms of being detatched from everyone and everything, and just fall back into my state of being anti social....I went to see a shrink a year ago he kind of sucked, and he put me on lexapro which didnt do a damn thing....I than thought I might have adult add, as I have difficulty concentrating and being able to handle conversations....

Now im wandering if I possibly have phycosis or some similiar disorder, im not completely crazy, as I dont see people or hear people who arent there, altough I do sometime sence things that arent there, like a paranoi, im easly distracted and all the sounds and sights around me kind of confuse me, but I also have disconected thoughts, im really not sure what to think, but im thinking of seeing a shrink soon in hopes it really is some mental condition that meds can help with, or if im just crazy.

However, im curios if the meds have helped you at all, if you want to talk further give me a email or aim screen name and ill message you sometime.

For anyone reading this, any ideas what could be wrong with me?

you are still suffering from the drugs that you put in your body. The effects of drugs last longer than anybody has ever told you. If you are still drugging yourself, then you must stop. Drugs, all of them, in the beginning are fun and just hahaha
but sooner or later they show us their true colors: you are describing exactlly what happens to people that has tried lsd or mushrooms or any other drugs that alter your conciousness.

Marihuana also does the same.

Now if you want to be healed of that stuff, you need to clean your body.
Do excercise, eat well, stop eating junk and eat fruits, vegetables, avoid junk, avoid coffe and all other stress foods.

Go to a health food store and buy herbal nerve remedies and try them during the night. -ask your doctor about them and make sure that they do not cause you any secondary effects convined with your medicine-

if you start looking after your body, instantly your mind will feel better. But if you look after your spirit and soul also then you will be also completly healed

seek god, ask for help feed your soul and mind reading good stuff, stop hearing stupid music and start treating yourself as the most important thing in the world; you deserve better and nobody is going to do those chages but yourself.
|
Users who thank talitha cumi for this post: iamafish 

replied July 10th, 2005
Yeah I can relate... Same thing happened to me after smoking marijuana taking extazy and god knows what else :) I call it my first psyhotic episode (i also thought that I was having a bad tripp) I haven't been diagonsticated with schizophrenia but I think I am ....Anyway see a psychiatrist and tell him what you think.
|

replied July 10th, 2005
Experienced User
Maybe the real problem is sometimes we have trouble coping with all the mean things that happen and we are already looking inside of ourselves instead of talking about how sometimes normal people say or do things that confuse us and make us feel stupid even though we know we are not because we do as well or often better than them at school.
|

replied July 13th, 2005
Experienced User
I think you can only find the solution, where the problem lies. That is in learning the real tools needed to understand people. If you really want help, we can start tlking about whatever part of people interactions are stressing you out the most.
|

replied September 21st, 2005
I read the other night and was told by my doctor it can take up to 7 weeks (i think) for risperdal to start working, but yeah it takes a while for them to kick in.
|

replied December 14th, 2005
Karaca26
I just wondered if you are playing a sick joke when you speak these things (and the other spiritual nut who has also been spreading sicko twisted things in these forums) the last thing you want to say to a schizophrenic is to tell them to either a)stop taking their medication or b)tell them their hallucinations are real. Its like telling a diabetic to stop taking insuline shots... It can have devastating consequences.
Obviously you are oblivious to the amount of damage you can cause coming onto a forum like this and saying these things. If I were you I would go away and not come back to this section. So far the input I have seen you put in forums, you are going to end up killing someone.
|

replied January 21st, 2006
Re: Karaca26
firefly09 wrote:
i just wondered if you are playing a sick joke when you speak these things (and the other spiritual nut who has also been spreading sicko twisted things in these forums) the last thing you want to say to a schizophrenic is to tell them to either a)stop taking their medication or b)tell them their hallucinations are real. Its like telling a diabetic to stop taking insuline shots... It can have devastating consequences.

Obviously you are oblivious to the amount of damage you can cause coming onto a forum like this and saying these things. If I were you I would go away and not come back to this section. So far the input I have seen you put in forums, you are going to end up killing someone.

i've noticed several posts which tell people that medication is dangerous etc and not to take it. I think this is a very dangerous thing to do, telling someone not to take the prescribed medication.

Medication can help people. It can take a while to find the right medication, but when a person does, it can be very beneficial. I personally have tried several anti psychotics. The side effects were the reason for changing. Mainly being tired and weight gain. I work and get up early, and struggled with tiredness, but if someone can perservere with this, then it passes and they get over it.
|

replied January 24th, 2006
I need to know if i'm schizophrenic or not. I smoked pot for like maybe 2 years. Than I did lsd and e. The acid trip was somewhat bad. Over last summer I decided to try some "legal drug alternatives" from online. They worked, but they were weird. I really don't know if there accually legal. So I was doing it, and I swore stuff was happining that wasn't. It only happened to me out of all the people who did it. It was a lot different than an acid trip. Than I kept thinking people were talking to me even until the next day. I kept saying what to people, and they weren't talking at all. So the next few days I keep thinking i'm talking to people, and I turn around, and there not there. Basically I was hearing a lot of voices. Mostly friends of mine. I was having accual conversations. Than I don't know why, but I did it again. I was soposed to go to a friends house, but I went the opposite way some reason. I thought my friend was on a bike behind me. Got to this footbridge, I saw my other friend, and the one behind me stopped to talk. I turned arround, and they both weren't there. I stopped at the pitch black bridge, and dropped my bike. This still stumps me what happened, it's rediculous. I was like hey to these other 2 friends of mine. They didn't answer. I said whats wrong. Than they were hung by cargo nets in the trees. Then I think I saw some gothic girl I believed was in a cult push one of the bodies so it swung behind the other. I don't even know how to explaine how terrified I was. Where you get that sharp pain in you, and you can't move, and your body starts convulsing. So yea I jumped on my bike, and rode away, called 911. Wasn't good. Anyways after that I was fine for awhile. Than I started getting delusional thoughts when I smoked. Like my friends wanted to kill me, were undercover cops, etc. Than I didn't smoke too much for while. Did acid again, had a bad tip. Not one of those ones where you are compleetly helpless, but enough where I was paranoid, and kept thinking oh my god it's going to last like 10 more hours. Basically like something you have to live through. Than I got caught in school with an alprazolam (xanax) and got blammed for giving this kid something he overdosed on. So my friend called me later to ask me questions. Thats when I started getting those thoughts even when not high. I thought he was helping the cops or something. Now it's just like getting paranoid while high, just all the time now. I went to my friends house the other day. Him and other people there I felt like they looked at me weird. Than I started to think they were going to kill me, or they were trying to get me to smoke so cops could arrest me. I got myself so freaked out I had to leave. Now it seems everyday I get anxiety attacks, and I can't function at all. I don't know if i'm schitsophrenic, or it's the pot and lsd. What should I do. Also I agree with firefly, I thought I was psychic for like a month so please don't be messing around if you are.
|

replied February 22nd, 2006
Toastyboy, I smoked myself straight into a panicdisorder with like 2-3-4full blown panic attacks every day, these were so intense I almost killed my self a couple of times.
Felt like I wasn't part of the world at all, crawled around on the floor not understanding a thing.
What helped me was when I felt the anxiety coming, I fought it, made it worse than ever, screamt cmon, !**@! me up,
then I saw I was really the one controlling it all, after that i've just had small anxiety experiences n i'm thinking i'm recovering... Hopefully this'll help...

As far as medicine, don't do it, you really don't need more problems in your life. Withdrawing from those pills is almost harder than quitting heroin... So think about what you put in you...
|

replied February 23rd, 2006
Experienced User
Lsd causes hallucinations.
|

replied March 15th, 2006
For Thousands of Years
Hi, first of all I would like to say that we as humans, have been altering our conciousness for alot longer than we have tried to remain sober. Look at the number one, jesus christ, I am not saying that he ate mushrooms, but he deffinitly was not normal, talking to god, involved with angels , and I bet you if he was alive today, instead of crusifying him they would of sent him to a padded room and gave him enough drugs to break his spirit and make him drool, all by the ones that are respected and thought of as having the answer, like todays doctors.

I am not saying that doctors dont help, but I am saying that , there are no straight lines, and that reality is not definable, and that somtimes things are not as they seem.

Buddha, deffinitly into tripping out,

the early hindus, into taking mushrooms,

pretty much every culture has their , drug use, their poets, their artist, their saints, and their , crazies, I often wonder as us here in america ( the country with the highest number of disorders ) do not have a rich culture, being only a few hundred years old, and have replaced the old ways, of understanding with our doctor god, that dish out, pills to make us all lock steped into a reality that is not nesicarily, true,

oh yeah its a disease like diabetes and you better take your meds. Maybe it is ,

i bet if ghandi, jesus, leonardo, mozart, da vincci, buddha, einstein, columbus, etc etc etc. Lived in 21st century america, they would of been beleived to have some mental disorder, and been , counseled , drugged, and eventually become somone, that they were not. Maybe for the better, maybe for the worst, but ,,,,,,, take into account,, that drugs change you, effect reality, and alter your perception, yet it be lithium, acid, asprin, weed, depikote, or mushrooms, ]]

we have been doing drugs , since the beggining of time, to alter our conciousness,,,,, remember adam and eve.

It has only been the last few decades that our minds have been directed by tests, clinical trials and other humans with a licence, so we believe them, and give them power, \\

life allot of times is f ed up,,, we scarred by situations, child abuse, crappy hormones in chicken, the god of oprah, how about, the influx of information,,,,,,, look up somthing, and you can find information leading you in 10 different dirrections. What is true, what is right,what is real, is seeming to me to become more and more, difficult to find, and less important, as we let the status quo , become what we difine ourselves and our world by,,,

there has been stories and voices for along time, it is only recent that we have labled, medicated, and found it to be incorrect.

Dont get me wrong, things are still undecided ,,, what is right,,, what is wrong, and what is real, or unreal,

and somtimes , some doctors, therapy, and meds, do a world of good, and are huge help,

i think it is more mature to feel, and to, think deeper than our current, set of values and ideas,,, rather than, midlessly accepting what you are fed

feel for yourself

the poles could shift, any moment

adam
|

replied September 13th, 2008
Just keep taking those meds, everything becomes clear when you do. I would also suggest you face your anxieties, little by little, and try to understand the different symptoms you are feeling. My psychiatrist has suggested that I try considering all the different possibilities of the phenomenom that I experience.

Don't drink ANY alchohol, or do ANY illegal drugs if you want to get well. they mess with your brain chemistry, and they slow down your progress. when i took my meds, didn't drink or do drugs, and slept enough, I was fine. It took months. Alchohol is bad for people with mental illnesses.

And to the person who said Buddha "definately liked tripping out" you have not studied buddhism, which preaches against the use of mind clouding substance use. In buddhism you try to produce a clear mind, not a drug addled frenzy. In fact seeking those special states of mind is just part of suffering. Do a google search for the three lords of materialism if you are curious about it.
|

replied September 24th, 2008
I just smoked to much, now i got it. i can act in society normaly. But I never will be the old me again,I am still paranoid and think I am paranoid or is it real u know. darn
|

replied February 26th, 2009
help for our daughter
We have our 26yr old daughter staying with us because she is unable to to take care of herself right now. About 2 weeks ago she started hearing voices, thinking someone is going to kill her. Shes really out of touch with reality. Shes been smoking pot on a daily basis for 5 years. Shes never been in any kind of trouble, shes always been self supportive, had a boyfriend, went to college etc. By the time she came home she was up for 10 days straight because she was so paranoid. Shes been tested for other drugs, but the only thing that comes up is pot. Shes being treated by a phycyatrist now and is on heavy sleep medication. Does anyone know how long this phycosis she has is going to last? We never knew marajuana could do such a thing.
|

replied April 8th, 2009
need to look at family history
I have a 31 yr. old daughter who for several years has been paranoid schizophrenic. For a period of a few years she was abusing "street drugs", meaning crack and probably pot and alcohol. I was living in another state and had knowledge of her drug problem but didn't know about the onset of schizophrenia until I returned to my home city where she was living. She went through several drug recovery programs and for several years has been "drug free." I initially connected the schizophrenia with the drug use but I have a trauma doctor in the family with much experience in this area who told me that the drug use only brought on the schizophrenia earlier than it would have shown up. I knew my mother had some problems that had become much worse somewhere around the age of 45, but I only recently was told by my sister, who is a nurse and lives in the same small town with my mother, that my mother has severe paranoid schizophrenia. I've also been told that schizophrenia typically skips generations and to my knowledge neither I nor my 2 sisters have the disorder.

My daughter's extended family on her mother's side also has mental illness, including a cousin who is about 40 and has spent most of his adult life in institutions. I also began having an anxiety problem at age 35 that until recently I attibuted to things I have been through in my life like the Vietnam war, an ugly divorce from my daughter's mother, and some other experiences. However, I now believe it is a condition that I inherited from my mother.

My whole point is that we often tend to blame something like paranoid schizophrenia on substance abuse if the person if known to have used drugs like crack, pot, LSD, etc., and fail to recognize the genetic predisposition for a disorder. Yes, the person must live drug free if they are to have a normal life but, like my daughter, they often refuse to accept that they have an ongoing serious problem THAT WILL ONLY BE KEPT IN CONTROL BY THE USE OF THE RIGHT MEDICATION. My daughter now thinks all drugs are the same, meaning something that will mess up your life, and refuses to take medication to control the schizophrenia that she will have for the rest of her life.

My daughter is fighting to keep her children and be independent but her delusions of conspiracies against her, the voices from the refrigerator, invisible rays aimed at her by people who are trying to kill her, etc., recently got much to out of control and we had to have her admitted to the hospital. She got out last week supposedly doing better and admitting that she must take medication but two days ago she suddenly left town to escape "the people who are doing this to her" and right now she is in a motel 900 miles away saying she is never coming back. She knows no one in the city she said she is going to and I have no idea how this will turn out.

Just wanted to give my two cents worth since I have been living this nightmare for the last 3 years.
|

replied April 26th, 2010
Schizophrenia
Dont smoke weed
|

replied April 27th, 2010
Active User, very eHealthy
No no no.

You can be a high schizophrenic, but these things, or bumps on the head don't cause it really, or things that happened to you when you were five. Also, it's not genetic.

I know this for a fact. But how could I prove it.
|

replied August 30th, 2010
w00t for stirring up old topics =D
I prefer to fix the symptoms one by one in my own head. When I notice something happening, like being paranoid of something, I roll it over and over in my head and I fix it by realizing what its cause is. Sometimes it can take weeks though. And some I'm still working on after a couple years. Weed helps me. Though my first experience came after a salvia trip. Holy s**t stay away from that ii you're schizophrenic. My entire reality was screwed for months. lol. F*ck medication. I don't think schizophrenia is caused by anything physical at all. I believe its all mental and the "proof" they have that it's physical is an effect not the cause. I agree with alot (not all) of what seemlesstech said.
|
12 >>
Quick Reply