Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

Cut Trigeminal Nerve

I've had 3 tmj surgeries and during the last one the doctor severed my trigeminal nerve. This is the main nerve that controls your face. Immediately after surgery I lost all function in the left side of my face. Over the years it has improved and eventually I just have a deading feeling across my jawline. Two days ago I got a horrible pain in face, shooting across my eye and jawline. My face felt normal for about 30 seconds and then went back to feeling odd. Has anyone experienced this, or have any idea about it? I'm assuming the nerve is actually trying to grow back, thus the electric shock, but not sure.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper angeliamy
|

replied June 26th, 2005
Ive never actually read of nerves being able to grow back as such, but it sounds something similar to when someone has a stroke and then slowly recuperates from it. Go and get it checked out. Im sorry to hear your operation went wrong though, to first have tmj and then ur nerve cut is a really tough break.
|

User Profile
replied November 5th, 2005
Nerve Damage
25years ago, my first operation the surgeon cut one of my nerves. I am unable to move my left eyebrow.. I found out from other operations that it was cut and they tried to put it back together but nerves dont regenerate.. Is it possible that your nerve was only stretched.. My surgeon told me that if nerves are stretched they come back.. If they are cut,,they do not.. And yes.. When nerves try to "work" again.. You will get sharp pains.. I am a nurse, and I have seen that in other patients.

Good luck

marylee
|

replied January 29th, 2013
I has blepharoplasty surgery about ten yrs ago. Ever since I have suffered from hemi facial spasms on my right side causing embarrassing eye twitching that extends down to my mouth. I am convinced that my Dr. Severed the TN, but of course, cannot prove this. The only thing that helps is Botox injections around the eye. This works great for my eye. The first time I had this procedure my Dr. Also injected the entire right side of my face down to and including the jawline and neck. This greatly distorted my smile and facial expressions. I no longer allow those injections, but stick to the eye area only. Btw I have no pain with my condition other than mental grief and embarrassment.
|

replied August 25th, 2006
I have tmj all the time,down my left jaw.My nerve pops out and you can see trhe nerve.What do you for your tmj's?
|

replied August 25th, 2006
My nerve was cut during surgery two years ago and I have been left with facial paralasis, I got some use of my mouth back but unable to move from my eye up. I suffer from severe shooting pains in my face up to my head and the pain is awful I am just offering sympthy because I know how you feel.
Lorraine
|

replied December 22nd, 2009
I had an eye op 4 weeks ago and I am not sure if the t-nerve has actually been cut oa damaged. I have a numb eyelid,brow, forehead and top of head . I feel dreadful because it feels so horrible and am also getting a burning pain as well, I just wish I could find out more and know what to expect in the future.
|

replied January 29th, 2011
numbness & drooping of my left eyebrow after tmj surgery
I had tmj surgery on Dec. 30, 2010. The surgery was on my left & right jaws. It's been a month since my surgery & I still can not feel or move my left eyebrow. The left eyebrow droops & is no longer even with my right eyebrow. The drooping causes me to feel as though something is sitting on my eyelid. It becomes very bothersome when I'm reading, working on the computer or focusing on something. It's usually worse first thing in the morning or at night. My surgeon has told me that the nerve is still asleep from the surgery. But how long can your nerves sleep after surgery? He doesn't seem to be too concerned. What should I do? I kinda feel as though he is not taking my concern seriously but I don't want to over react and make him feel as though I have no faith in him. Do I need to get a second opinion or wait to see what happens. I'm supposed to go back for a check up in 4 weeks. I'm afraid that if I wait too long, he wont be able to fix the problem. Can the problem be fixed?
|

replied May 1st, 2012
the trigeminal nerve has three branches that branch into 3 regions across your face. If the nerve is irritated in any way it can develop a "neuralgia". It sounds like that might be what you are dealing with. The typical TN doesn't develop this way, this would be surgical onset in my opinion. I suffer from the typical TN and your symptoms after severing sound familiar with my symptoms. The nerve goes across your forehead, across your cheek bone, and then down across your jaw line. All branching out from the temple area. I hope this helps
|

replied April 2nd, 2014
Damaged Trigeminal Nerve after TMJ Surgery?
I had bilateral TMJ surgery last year and have been left with severe debilitating left sided facial, head, neck and shoulder pain and deficits in cognitive functioning.
No one really knows what happened but I now have marked left facial parasthesia, pins & needles across my left cheek, severe pressure pain behind my left eye, darting electrical pain up the left hand side of my head. Severely restrictive left sided neck spasms that restrict movement. The muscles in my left shoulder are sore to touch due to the continuous spasm and when very severe my left arm goes numb and dead. The pain was so bad at times that I was 'out of it'. I had memory problems, word finding difficulties, I was very slow to process information and I slept for days and days.

I walked into surgery after three episodes of closed lock jaw. I did not have any previous pain but I did have a history of restricted jaw opening.

I am out of work over 12 months and am left without an income.

My neurologist thinks that my Trigeminal Nerve was damaged during surgery or as a result of the repeated post-operative jaw dislocations. THe Maxillofacial Surgeon said he had never heard of anything like my presentation nor never seen it before.

How long does it take for the Trigeminal to recover?
If it is permanently damaged, will my cognitive skills improve and will I learn to live and function with the pain?
|