Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Muscular and Nerve Disorders Forum

Question About Uncontrollable Shaking (Page 1)

Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
Hello all - new poster here. :lol:

just wanted to ask a question. Every so often, i'll start shaking. Uncontrollably.
And I don't know why. It's a littly scary, so I wanted to ask.

-i'm in my middle teens and not overweight or anything. (150 lbs)
-don't do drugs, smoke, drink, nothing.
-i take caffeine a little more than usual (600 mg a day, maximum)

the shaking has nothing to do with cold, I checked.
I think it's related to breathing, but i'm not sure.
It usually happens late at night. (but i'm almost positive it's not related to the caffeine, because I gave up caffeine for lent and it never stopped.)

the shaking is always restricted to my abdomen and arms, and lasts for periods of up to ten seconds separated by the same amount of time.

I'm pretty scared by this, in fact i'm downright shaken. (har har)
but seriously, if anyone has an answer I would appreciate it quite a bit.

Thanks in advance,
-canonada
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 13th, 2005
Okay, just another note -

got it again, not five minutes ago. This time I had to go to the bathroom and I lost enough motor control I *almost* fouled myself...

:shock:

definitely not cool... Someone please tell me what's going on!
|

replied August 21st, 2011
Shake Rattle and Roll Essential Tremors
Sounds like Essential Tremors. Try www.essentialtremor.org and www.wemove.org. I have had it for almost a year. You shake uncontrollably, you hurt like nobodys business later. Do not let you legs or feet get cold it will make the pain worse. There are several meds out to help control the tremors> get plently of rest and a electric blanket or throw will become your best friend.
|

replied November 9th, 2005
I really couldn't tell ya, but this seems to be one serious enough to get to a doctor within the week. Best of luck to you.
|

replied December 21st, 2005
Hello, Canonada
I don't mean to scare you but I have been shaking in the upper body. It comes and gos but lasts along time some times. Like recently it has started friday and still hasn't stopped. The only time it stops is when I sleep. I have been to two nerorulagest and they say stress. So they come up with what they call converson disorder. I don't know if that is what will help you or not. But I have been searching for going on 3 years know and still cant find anything that exsplain what it is. Its like is has a mind of its own. But best of luck to you.I hope you find out more on it as well as me. Sorry again if I scared you . That wasn't what I intended.
|

replied May 22nd, 2008
uncontrollable shaking
For the last approx. 8 months I have experienced a few episodes where I will my legs and torso will shake uncontrollably. The weirdest part of it all is it is ALWAYS at night when I'm laying in bed and when it ceases I always have to use the bathroom. While this episode is happening I generally don't feel well. My head feels heavy and I just feel odd. Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this?
|

replied December 28th, 2008
uncontrollable shaking
last night was the first time this happened to me. i was lying in bed and a 2 in the morning i just started shaking uncontrollable im 14 and for a 14 year old thats scary! i had 1 iced coffee at Macdonald's that morning but im pretty sure it wasnt that.
when it finally stopped i had to go to the bathroom like SUPER!!! bad. and then i laid back in bed and i was super hungry! what is this. i didnt feel anything really i felt a little paranoid but i dont know it was weird and really scary!
what do i do.
ohh btw lately it been harder to breathe and i get tired faster? and after pe sometimes i cant breathe is this athsma??
|

replied December 28th, 2008
shaking
This happened to me in the middle of the night. It felt like my body was shaking on the inside. Very scary. Anyone know what could cause this?
|

replied January 29th, 2009
shaking uncontrollably
I have been having the same problem. I am going to check into it today because I couldn't sleep last night from it. I have endometriosis and got surgery in october and I got these shots recently for it. After the last shot I started shaking uncontrollably and I didn't think too much of it..I just thought that maybe it was the shot healing my body or something. I'm not sure. I feel like I've called the doctors enough about my problems and they don't seem to be much help (I'm still in pain). :/ I read other posts and they think it might be adrenalin build up along with stress. Eating seems to help a little. Try eating bananas and drinking some gatorade.
|

User Profile
replied February 21st, 2009
Shaking Uncontrollably in Diabletes II
This thread is kind of old, so, not sure if anyone will be reading it... I have diabetes II. When my blood sugar is low, one of the symptoms I suffer is teeth chattering chills. It usually just involves my torso, including abdomen to shoulders. They sometimes are so violent that I feel as though I'm going to start convulsing. What works quickly for me is a large spoon of peanut butter, or, 8 oz. of milk. I have had diabetes for about 20 years, but, this violent shaking only started becoming a problem this past year. I have no "goose flesh" bumps, but my hands feel icy. The next day I will feel as though I have been doing crunches because of the soreness in my stomach. When I started typing tonight, I was in the throes of an episode. I ate some peanut butter, and they are slowly receding. I don't keep a record of my blood sugar levels, but, I think that the time has come to pay more attention to this. Hope this helps anyone with similar symptoms.
|

replied April 22nd, 2009
Shaking NBIA Disorder
My sister Chandrea is 39 years old. She has a condition call nuerodegeneration with brian iron accumulation. Today she started skaing when we touched her as if it hurt. I'm wondering if anyone else with the condition has experienced it??? We'll be headed to the doctor tomorrow. Will report back on what we learn.
|

replied April 27th, 2009
Shaking
My partner shivers uncontrollable always when we go to bed , he's says he feels like his heart is going to explode... does anyone else get this and do you know what it could be.
|

replied June 5th, 2009
Shaking uncontrollable and really scared.
hi everyone i'm 14 and have a problem when i am sleeping i wake up in the middle of the night or in the mornings and start shaking uncontrollably. this just happened to me at least an hour or 30 minutes ago and i went to take a hot shower and it still hasnt stopped right now while im typing my arms are sorta shaking. when this happens to me i seek out warmth(i share a bed with my 23 year old sister and her 11 month old baby) and i always move my body and legs towards her but that doesnt seem to work so i try to last it out but it wont go away i'm really scared and dont know wats wrong this has happened to me twice. one time at least 3 weeks ago and today.and when i start shaking the skin under my nails turn purple and any scars i have turn purple. right now my mom is at work and my sister is sleeping i am going to ask my mom to take me to the doctors when she gets home but if anyone out there is reading this and knows what is wrong please PLEASE PLEASE write me i would really appreciate that. and please put the subject as "Shaking uncontrollably" so i know that its someone replying to this thanks.

P.S. I am over weight(228lbs) but i dont know if that has anything to do with that. I also sleep till 4pm and i am up all night till 3am i dont know if that has anything to do with it or not but my sleeping pattern was like that last year and i didnt have these uncontrollable shakes. once again please write me.

~*~Thanks in advanced~*~
Rachel W.
|

replied July 1st, 2009
I am no doctor, but I know doctors and this can be from lingering effects of caffine or stress, or a combination of both, lack of sleep also doesn't help. By the way, 600 milligrams is ALOT of caffeine, remember, caffeine is a serious neuroactive drug and 600 milligrams is almost a fifth of a lethal dose. Admittedly, 3200 mil. is only lethal if it is admitted through an IV, and you've probably built up a resistance so more than that, but it still affects you seriously. My advice, get more sleep. That way you won't have to take so much caffeine to feel energetic and your stress levels will go down. If, after a week's worth or so of good night's sleep, call a doctor.
|

replied July 15th, 2009
unconroled shaker
i also have expricanced this . i start to feel lik my mind is floating away and then i feel like someone told me my parents died and i get this pang in my chest it quickly spreads and i feel ovrwhelmingly tired.and then i shake.my teeth start to chatter i was under a blanket when it happened siting upright.. im really scared idk what to do. that happened to me last night.. and i woke up this morning feeling like a timebomb...
|

replied August 13th, 2009
Shaking Uncontrollably
I have been shaking since my vacation(4 weeks ago). i dont no y but i have seen a doctor and everything.at first he told me it was a part of growing up. then it happened again and they said i have to go to bed at midnight and only sleep for 2 hours. at 7 they would do a test. but i still dunno wat is happining to me. i hope i dont have a disease. i shook about 15 times. it was usually in my legs. does annyone no wats happining to me?
|

replied October 15th, 2009
your doctor should be able to give you about 5X more information than anyone on here. It could be an adverse reaction to something you've been around latley. Or like others have said, your not sleeping enough. Or stress. Or something to do with your diet. The possibilities are endless. Talk to your doctor and never lie to your doctor. Most likely, your fine.
|

replied November 1st, 2009
ok i dont really know what is wrong but i shake very badly all the time. Mine doesnt happen at night its all during the day and i never really know when its going to happen. It feels like a shake you get when you are cold but it happens all the time. I am 19 years old healty and not overwight. Also some times my toes will go numb i can still move them but have no feeling. I dont know if this has anything to do with it but who knows. If you have any information please let me know..
Thanks
|

replied November 4th, 2009
Help me please
I'm 14 and I have been having INTENSE stomach pains in the lower abdominal area. I often get sick and have to miss school. Every morning I wake up and my body uncontrollably shakes and I try to relax but it just just doesn't work. I have been having these problems since I was 7 and I have seen several doctors, psychiatrists, pediatricians, etc... I don't know what is happening to me but if anyone can help or give me an answer then I would really be grateful .
Thank you,
Megan
|

replied November 28th, 2009
1st thing is always see the doctor to rule out any serious underlying disorders. And even then, do yourselves all a life-changing and life-saving favor and read "The Mind-Body Connection." Just read all the reviews for the books by Dr. John Sarno.

P.S. It's not just for back-pain if that's what you see at first. Take 2-3 days of your life to read the book.
|

replied April 9th, 2010
Hello,

I have had problems with shaking for meany years. Not every day. But sometimes it is every day for a week. It mostly happens in the morning, after breakfast. I have been to the Dr. and they have done cat scanes, MRI''s, and tested me for Diabletes. They tell me there is nothing wrong with me. It might be some kinda muscle diseases, he gave me a name but the name was so long I cant remember.
I thought it was cearel but it wasn''t. I am not sure what it is. I will shack and after about 15 min of shaking ( mostly on the right side of my body. I start feeling week. Sometimes it gets so bad I cant walk. If I eat something quickly when it starts it passes faster.
I am 33years old and waigh 175lb. I eat well. Sleep about 9 hours a day. and I realy do not have much stress. And other then the shaking I am health.
If any one knows what is wrong with me please post it. Thank you.
|
12 >>