Medical Questions > Nutrition > Vitamins Forum

Question About Perfect Multi Greens (Page 1)

I recently was given these perfect multi super greens vitamins that are a dietary supplement. After checking their website, they seam okay. I have to take 5 a day! Sheesh hehe. My question was.. How good are these pills.. And anything I should know?

Thx.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 13th, 2005
Active User, very eHealthy
I would not waste your money on a product like that. Buy a simple multi-vitamin and supplement your diet with the actual leafy green vegetable and fruits, as well as orange, blue and yellow vegetables. Those pills cannot provide the dietary fiber and anti-oxident power that eating fresh veggies can!

Also in the long run it will be less expensive for you because you can feed your entire family these good sources of vitamins, minerals, and dietry fiber.

Examples: blueberries, spinach, carrots, beets, greens of any kind, raspberries/blackberries/mullberries. All of these provide huge quantities of beta-carotine and other carotienoids to help with vision and also promotes healthy cell development. You also get a great supply of vitamin k which helps with the absorption of iron and assists in blood cloting properly.

Also eating as many whole grain products as you can tolerate will provide you with protiens and also many of the b vitamins which are necessary for healthy skin cells and folate which is a must for women of childbearing age because folic acid has been linked to healthy cns development of the fetus so you are less likly to have a sick baby.

If you would like more information please fire me off an email and I will try to answer your questions as througly as possible. I just finished a human nutrition class and the class totally backed up what I already believed. Do not waste your money on expensive supplements, you can buy store brand multi-vitamins or even a brand name like "one-a-day" and do just fine.
|

replied May 14th, 2005
Wow thank you so much for responding. I have noticed that my urin was a brite yellow when taking these pills and it gave me some pain in the kidney area?

I was looking for a good multi-vitamin that is herbal form. Do you know any here in canada that is herbal?

Thank you again.
|

replied May 15th, 2005
You don't get vitamins from herbal supplements. You get them from multi-vitamins or individualy packaged vitamins of one source like vitamin a or b or folate and then you would have to take a handful for a daily supply when all you need is one multi-vitamin.

Don't buy into the hype of "natural" or "herbal miracle pill".

I always use the analogy that if you are only going to be for natural then why not eat arsenic, cyanide, lead and mercury since they are "natural" and so they must be good too right..... :lol:

just get a decent multi-vitamin and eat a proper diet and you will be fine and save tons of money in the long run!
|

replied May 15th, 2005
Oh I see.. So which brand do you recommend..?
|

replied May 15th, 2005
Personally I go to sam's club and get the jumbo bottle of mens formula one-a-day but before that I bought walmart brand or kmart brand. They are all basically the same.

There is no scientific research with regard to one brand being superior to another. If someone does try to provide proof, it is normally research done by the company trying to sell their product and so the research is inherantly biased.

I think I paid $9.99 for a bottle of 250 tablets.
|

replied May 15th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Yeah, I got mine at sam's also and I think I paid $6.99 (or maybe $9.99) for a year's supply. There is no reason to buy the expensive "miracle" vitamins and herbs.
|

replied May 15th, 2005
Someone told me that the herbal one's are much better and also that the "multi" one's don't work compared to the seperate a b c etc..?

Personally I would like to purchase the herbal multi vitamins.. Simply because it's more "natural" processed? If that makes sense haha.

Ty.
|

replied May 15th, 2005
Why would you ask for information about the correct type of vitamin to be recommended if you are bent on spending your hard earned cash on herbal stuff.

I truly believe that you are wasting your money but in the end it is your money and its yours to waste as you see fit.

Whomever it is that is telling you that herbal vitamins are more effective then the normal doctor recommended otc daily multivitamin, then maybe you should question their motive in your life.

Would that person happen to be an herbal supplement sales person?

When taking a multi-vitamin, you need to take it along with food so that it will have enough time in your digestive system to be completely broken down and absorbed by the blood stream. "all-natural or herbal" doesn't make something superior to other products and like I said earlier, mercury and lead are all natural but I sure am not going to go about eating them.

Good luck with your purchase and please make sure to verify with fact based material the supplements you are putting into your body. Using the manufacturers website for verification is not proof, you need independant proof of efficacy.
|

replied May 15th, 2005
Experienced User
I've read about those things & I heard Dr. Weil, the self-healing guy, talk about them. He says they are just a marketing ploy. No one knows all the things that are in fruits & veggies that help us, so pills made by people are just a pale imitation at best of the real foods. Just eat lots of leafy greens & sea veggies & fruit. They taste alot better anyway & are cheaper overall, plus they fill you up & keep you from eating junk.Don't waste your money.
|

replied May 15th, 2005
Ahh yes okay.. I understand now. I was only told about herbal brands of multi's.. Are better from word of mouth, but I get what you are saying. I will look into buying multi 1 a day vitamins from regular stores now. And the cheapest is best I suppose haha.

Ty.
|

replied May 15th, 2005
Great idea. Please let us know how you are doing after a couple of weeks of taking the vitamins.

I have not had a single cold since 2001 when I quit smoking and began taking one-a-day mens health formula.

I eat breakfast in the morning and then take my daily vitamin. It may well be coincedence but I definatly feel pretty good health wise.

I have been injured with a bad back problem since 2003 and since I have had surgery on my back that so far does not appear to have worked. I cannot imagine how much worse it would be if I was constantly sick and coughing a ton, killing my back.

Good luck and again, please keep us up to date as to how you fare from this daily lifestyle change.
|

replied May 21st, 2005
Well, I purchased my new multi-vitamins. They are from a herbal store and costed $19.99 canadian dollars. Is it normal for my urin to be brite yellow when taking these?

Ty.
|

replied May 21st, 2005
All it means is that you are getting more of whatever water soluable vitamin than you need and it is being excreeted in the urine/sweat/feces.

Not a big deal.
|

replied May 21st, 2005
Ohhh okay :d

i guess it's a good thing that it is removing extra :)

oopss it appears I put 19.99 when it was 10.99 lol. Yes my mistake!

Ty.
|

replied September 16th, 2005
Not Sure the the Above Replies Are Correct...
Not all vitamins and minerals are created equally. For example, take calcium: you do not eat pure calcium (pure calcium is a highly reactive, soft metal!). What you eat is calcium atom(s) along with other atoms to make a molecule. How your body deals with this molecule can vary vastly. This is why professionals will tell you to take calcium citrate as opposed to calcium carbonate, since the citrate form of calcium is much better absorbed .

Other examples are natural versus synthetic vitamin e, d-alpha-tocopherol (natural), and dl-alpha-tocopherol (synthetic); note the only difference in the name is the “l” after the “d”. The natural form absorbed and utilized much more effectively.

Please note, i’m just pulling these particular website references out in 30 seconds, since I already know that this type of research is out there and that there is a reasonable consensus about a great number of vitamin and mineral studies (also a lot of dissent, but that’s why research is a progressively refining activity). These websites just happened to be amongst the first few that were returned on google.

So, what I am saying is that it does indeed matter what the particular form of a desired vitamin or mineral is. The catch is that manufactures do not usually use what is best for you or most effective, but rather what costs them the least and still lets them put seemingly big numbers on the side panel. These numbers are a chemical analysis only, not a measure of whether your body will actually be able to use that amount that is supposedly being provided.

Do your research! Find the forms of the vitamins that are best utilized by your body, and do not just go by what the chemical analysis is on the side panel. The purity products perfect multi is a reasonable attempt at combining these together, but i’d like to see others as well. I think that they charge too much for their product.
|

replied September 16th, 2005
Btw, I Have No Argument...
Btw, I have no argument with the notion of eating lots of dark leafy vegetables, since this is far better that any vitamin! But one of the points of a vitamin supplement, including ones that add phyto nutrietnts, is to give the person a backup to their diet. Maybe you didn't have all the variety of tocopherols you should have had by eating nuts that day... Taking a small amount of natural vitamin e (one of the tocopherols) may help to offset that to a minor degree.
|

replied September 26th, 2005
You've Almost Convinced Me!
Tamadrummer has almost convinced me that the cheaper vitamins are just as good as the others- my only question is, what about all the filler and chemicals they pack into those things? Could they be harmful in the long run?
|

replied February 27th, 2008
Multi megaconundrums ...
I agree that the herbal, natural hype is often about marketing. The bottom line is you have to educate yourself and read the contents on the multi-vitamin label. They aren't al the same.
Examples:
Most iron supplements are ferrous sulfate. This oxidizes vitamin E ... baaad.
The organic ferrous fumarate and ferrous gluconate do not ... goooood. Many multi-Vs use an organic form. BUT, they will use a synthetic form of Vitamin E called dl alpha tocopherol ... which won't do you much good, you will absorb considerably less of it than the organic d alpha tocopherol. One is just cheaper to use than the other. So read read read, it's the only way.
Also, I was eating a lot of foods with vitamin K in them and found my multi V had 100 percent of the daily in addition. Vit K helps with blood clotting and this can get complicated, etc etc.
I got much of this info from a really great book called
Prescription for Nutritional Healing: The A to Z Guide to Supplements. by Phyllis A. Balch, CNC It's an enlighten ing book. It is best to consult multiple sources, but most websites require that you join thru paid subscription and you practically have to be a doctor. This book is pretty darn good, gets revised and updated and is easy to understand, well organized.
Good luck and Good Health to you
|

replied February 27th, 2008
PS
You ideally should see a doctor and get your blood pressure, blood work, lipids and whatever they think should be looked at. If you can't afford it, have the work done at Quest labs or sometimes a local pharmacy can do your lipid panel for a lot less than a hospital lab can. I don't have insurance, so it's always an issue.
You can really mess yourself up if you don't know what you are doing. A lot of doctors don't address some of these issues adequately, but you are ultimately responsible for what goes on with your body. Try to find someone who will listen and work with you. If they blow you off, say thanks and good-bye. This is supposed to be a healer who is helping you. They should be humble and willing to work with you, and have an attitude of 'I am still learning too".
Most I have found will be that way, at least to some degree. But like I said, you are ultimately on your own.
|
12 >>
Quick Reply