Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Spleen Forum

Pain Under Left Side of Rib Cage (Page 1)

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I have had this pain and its ongoing for over a year now, on the left side under the rib cage....Do not notice any signs of an onset. It is a constant uncomfortable feeling that sometimes flares up and shoots pain across the top of my stomach....Alot of times will cramp and hurts to move. There are no other signs of anything else...No probs. With bowels or nausea...Anyone else have same issue?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper dougfish
|

replied May 12th, 2005
My Upper Left Side Pains...
I also have had upper left side pain, specifically under my ribcage, for at least the last 3 years now. It comes and goes, but is present much more frequently than not. I went through a whole battery of tests when the symptoms first appeared (i have crohn's disease, but the pain is not typical for my case). None of the tests showed anything (cat scan, colonoscopy, endoscopy), and my blood tests were normal. My gi doc told me it was probably "splenic flexure syndrome", which is basically gas getting trapped in the portion of the colon that loops around under your spleen. For lack of another cause, and due to the longetivity of the condition, I assume that it is nothing more serious, but sometimes I have my doubts. Anti-gas meds don't help -- the only total relief I get is when I am out doing something active - playing tennis, jogging, etc.
|

replied April 1st, 2012
I have the same symtoms but my doctor hasn't found anything yet on me. Not knowing why I have this pain is making me worry.
|

replied December 14th, 2012
I wonder if anyone of you are still following this but I have the same problem - for a week I wrote down what I ate and how soon the pain appeared after I ingested the food. I found it was TOMATOES that was causing the problem. Try avoiding tomatoes for a couple meals and see if that helps.
|

replied April 19th, 2012
medical
even i was diagnosed as poor aortic window during ultra scan the doc said it is due to gas , i feel even i got splenic flexure synddrome as even i've chest pain right under my let 7th rib
|

replied May 24th, 2012
i am only a 14year old girl i have had a pain in my stomach but today i had this pain while laying in bed then it seemed to travel under my left rib cage and stayed there for about 5minutes and disappeared but, now it just comes then goes and i feel that this is really serious
|

replied December 29th, 2012
I"M 15 and I literally JUST got this problem; it is worrying me, because I can't lie down flat and breath without it hurting heaps and I can't sit up without it hurting. For about half an hour... and I've recently been getting headaches and dizzy without reason; i'm worried i've pulled a muscle or something because I'm currently on exchange and can't speak german very well... even though i have learnt it!
can you help?? Smile
|

replied July 18th, 2012
I've had this too, worrying about it makes it worse. Taking ibuprofen takes the edge off of it. My spleen is slightly enlarged on ultrasound, but not at all painful on palpitations.
|

replied May 12th, 2005
Left Side Pain
I would love to talk to you & dougfish further. Maybe we should e-mail eachother phone numbers etc. The three of us sound identical.
|

replied May 2nd, 2012
is anyone monitoring this string?
I'm curious if anyone will even receive this message after all these years.

F47; I am having these symptoms too. I am a heart patient, having had double by-pass 5 3/4 yrs ago, and went to the ER after waking to the pain. I had none before, ever. They kept me for a 36 hr observation and decided that I have an ulcer without actually doing any test other than heart enzyme tests. My search lead me here and now I wonder how things have been with each of your unknown left ribcage pain.
|

replied December 14th, 2012
I wonder if anyone of you are still following this but I have the same problem - for a week I wrote down what I ate and how soon the pain appeared after I ingested the food. I found it was TOMATOES that was causing the problem. Try avoiding tomatoes for a couple meals and see if that helps.
|

replied December 29th, 2012
haven't eaten tomatoes......... um... it is stress related... well homesickness is definitely not helping!
|

replied May 16th, 2005
It would be interesting to explore this with you .
|

replied May 25th, 2005
Same Condition?
I too suffer from pains around my rib cage and left side of stomach. I'm being treated for an ulcer and have had several tests run. I'm scheduled for and endoscope this friday and hope that i'll get some kind of answer, but the way this has been going i'm not confident. This has been eating away at me physically and mentally for two months now. When i'm busy and active I don't seem to notice as much discomfort. It is also accompanied by some back pain in the same general region. Has anyone gotten any bright ideas?
|

replied January 23rd, 2013
Gull stones
|

replied May 25th, 2005
How About This....
Try stress relieving techniques.....Once I started taking a sleeping pill at night and doing regular exercise in the morning.....And then regulated my diet to lots of water and low starch and fats.....I feel so much better. When dougfish gave me the idea of the splenik flexure syndrome and did quite a bit of research and discovered that most of the issues related to these symptoms are all mind and stress related....Suprisingly enough there is no cure for this kind of thing....Because last year I was also diagnosed with ibs...Turns out is also related to the s.F.S.
I was in total disbelief at first..Only because I refused to believe that this much pain and discomfort can be caused by something I can actually control....Altough I cannot change my circumstances quite so easily I can definately change how I react to them....And its helping so much....You should look into this for youself.
|

replied May 25th, 2005
Pain
You have the same symptoms as me let me know outcome of scope?? I've had mine for 2 years now
|

replied May 25th, 2005
What Are Your Other Symptoms
So out of curiosity, what are some other symptoms you all are having? This seems to be a recurring problem for me. Had similar issues about a year ago and then it went away in time. I attributed it then to moving and lifting heavy things, my doc at the time also felt, without much to go on, that I may have an ulcer and put me on nexium. When it started this time around I was having bm issues and discomfort in my stomach, left side of ribcage, and along my back on the same side. Never had serious heartburn or indigestion, but they are treating me for an ulcer simply because there was perhaps the start of one in the upper gi they did. My ribcage xray came back clear, as did my ultrasound and ct scan of abdomen and chest. Along with this I had some kind of rash-like reaction, which I can only attribute to the mix of meds I was taking at the start of it all. Are there any meds you are currently taking for any of your symptoms and if so do you notice any relief? A lot of people are telling me it could be stress related or at least elevated by stress. The doc put me on a low dose nerve pill to try to help with my depression over this situation. I suppose stress is a possible factor...Dealing with crappy job, a still fairly new house, illnesses of close friends and my upcoming wedding, but I have a hard time understanding how such recurring physical pain can be caused just by stresses of life. Maybe talking to some of you will help. How do you deal with the daily pain and still function normally? Especially those of you going through this a year or more?
|

replied May 25th, 2005
Exactly
Think about it....And serioiusly look up that splenik flexure syndrome....It opened my eyes real quick....I have been having pain and total discomfort in my abdomen....Went to the doctor 3 times before they told me I had irritable bowel syndrome....Nothing they can do but give me a pill to shut me up....A year later I start having the "knot" under my left rib cage which hurt even more than the ibs.....And I noticed that when I would get upset it would become inflamed and swell up...Often times would bulge and be very painful....Went to the doctor and did a series of ultrasounds and scopes....Nothing would come up....Blood test and monitors wouldnt find anything....It really stressed me out even more...One thing I also noticed was the affect it had on my heart...Would have panic attacks and on top of my horrible job hours and young son...Single mom...Trying to make it alone....Was just wearing me down....And then I posted this to the message board....And finally got a lead on that s.F.S.....I thought...Yea right..No way is that possible..Then I started eating healthier...And exercising more...Im already pretty fit but never really worked out...Cut out just about anything that was a depressant...I.E. Alcohol and fattening foods.....Making you feel sluggish and nasty...And as far as the alcohol goes...I had to cut it out completely, I started noticing that when I would drink...I would become very angry and often times violent...Its amazing how the body works....The mind is a powerful thing
|

replied May 26th, 2005
What Do You Eat?
All the things i've read mention a large list of foods you shouldn't eat. What food do you recommend? I've cut out fatty foods and spicy foods and started eating mostly fruits and veggies. Then I read that certain if not most veggies and fruits can be bad for digestive issues. Do you drink milk or eat other dairy products? Do you have problems with frequent gas or constipation/diarrhea? One thing I have noticed through all of this is that i'm less gassy than I may have been before. Not as much belching or the other. I have not been a very health conscious person and of course being stressed out and a smoker isn't helping. I still have and appetite and haven't noticed any other major symptoms, but the pain is still there and unexplained. How intense can your pain be? Mine is low intensity for the most part, but occurs throughout the day and is a nagging ache or sharp twinge. At times I just wonder if the bra I wear is too tight and i'm just losing my mind. May it's not digestive and i'm looking in the wrong place. The fact that the tests have come up empty haven't helped. I just hope the doc I see tomorrow will have some better ideas. I'd rather the scope show something that treatable and I can move on with my life...The stress of this has taken over my life.
|

replied May 26th, 2005
Same Here
I have cut way back on the foods I used to eat as well as the portions..I try not to eat the heavy starchy veggies...And fruits are great..Espescially the ones with lots of water and juice....I also have the exact same kind of annoying pain...Right under my rib cage just below my breast....I started to freak out when I could actually feel the swelling....But all test have come back negative and clean...No blood in stool, no constipation...Sometimes irregular bowel movements but nothing that concerns me....Often times have lower abdomen pain and cramping which is explained by the ibs....I think its all a bunch of bull what doctors tell you anyway...They had me on medicines and monitors...Done the scopes and all it shows is inflammed region with muscle spasms....Nothing they can do....So I took matters into my own hands...I stopped worrying about it and focused on getting rid of it rather then why its there....Things have changed dramitically....Now mind you I still have it...Right now that im thinking about it actually I can feel it....Almost pushing into my lung....And things at home are horrible and my job sucks...Relationship is going way south...Seriously look into that splenik flexure syndrome...If anyone has please comment and tell if it relates to what you have.
|

replied May 26th, 2005
I Will...
Well, I see a gi doc tomorrow, so I will mention the syndrome and see what he has to say. I just hope he can find something, anything... Do you go through days without the pain or feel it every day but in different degrees of severity or areas? Do you find that exercise helps? I notice that the more active I seem to be the less I think about it and the better I feel. At night when i'm watching tv and trying to relax it can be more evident. Sitting in one position too long or in an awkward position can sometimes make it seem worse. I understand the stress factor, but its still hard to believe that a pain in one localized area can be connected to stress. Sounds like we both lead pretty stressful lives though so maybe there is a connection.
|

replied May 26th, 2005
I Agree
My pain and symptoms are exactly the same....Think about it..Put the 2 together...You stress out it hurts....You relieve stress by working out and it doesnt hurt as much...Hhmmmm..Coincidence?
|

User Profile
replied June 6th, 2012
My husband has the same problem, he said that it feels like something is there that should not be there. He said that when he is stress out it hurts more but when he works out it's fine. Huh ???
|

replied May 28th, 2005
Well, the endoscopy turned out to be normal. I was really out of it, but my fiance says the doc said it isn't a gi issue. Might be muscular or skeletal. I feel like i'm back to square one. They took a biopsy to check for bacteria, but if that comes back normal i'm to consult my regular doc again. I was really hoping for some answers. The pain has been very noticeable today. Been busy cleaning for memorial day party we're thor\\rowing tomorrow, and the pain was most evident when I would stop and rest for a minute. At this point i'm going to amp up my exercise, continue with a healthy diet and maybe look into physical therapy. A heating pad seems to help at least when i'm at rest. Still highly stressed out over this whole thing. Cried over it last night and today. I just don't know what to do any more. Feel like i've wasted a lot of time and energy, not to mention money tell me, does it feel like pressure and like there is something there? I constantly find myself feeling the area and looking for bumps, lumps, any explanation. I even worry it could be a breast cancer issue or something of that nature. A doc over a year ago told me that it could be that I damaged the cartilage in and around my ribcage. I just know another office visit to my reg doc is out of the question. He can send me for more tests or tell me to seek therapy, physical or otherwise, but i'm not taking more time off and spending more money just for him to come up with nothing.
|

replied May 5th, 2014
Did this ever get resolved? My husband has the same issues.
|

replied May 31st, 2005
Pain Under Left Ribcage
I went to the doctor a couple of years ago due to pain under my left ribcage. It was a sharp pain and would buckle me over but come and go. It eventually came more often. He said there is a major muscle just below your left ribcage and suspected it was lack of magnesium. Calcium and magnesium allow your muscles to expand and contract.

I started taking calmag immediately (you need twice as much calcium as magnesium and need to take it together). Within 24 hours the pains stopped. I take calmag to this day but if I forget and my diet isn't all that great the pains will come back.

Hope this helps someone.
|
Users who thank sheilab for this post: laurastriving  laurastriving 

replied June 1st, 2005
Sounds Interesting
Thanks for the suggestion. I think more and more it may be a muscular thing. My fiancae has suggested viatmins,supplements and such plus exercising those muscle groups. I am willing to try anything. What effect do you notice with regards to your diet??? I've been thinking it was a gi issue because I seemed to have related symptoms, but since the doc doesn't think so and suggests a muscle issue I though diet wasn't a big factor. Still watching what I eat, but not as closely as with my fear of a digestive problem. If you still see a connection though then maybe it's still worth being sensitive to what I eat as well, espcially since expansion of the stomach can push on muscles and create pain.
|

replied June 7th, 2005
Me Too
Well I happened to across this interesting site.

For the past year and a half I have been having this pain (sometimes sharp sometimes not) on the left side just under my ribs on the side. I have gone to a few doctors had blood tests etc, and they have no clue, they have ruled out ulcers.
My history is that I do drink especially ( heavy) on the weekends and that (yeh I know I shouldt say it) but I take adhd meds. When I take the meds I do not drink but on the weekends when I do not take the meds I do drink. Anyways this week the pain is sharp I have no clue what it is.

Please help
|

replied June 7th, 2005
Is Pain Related to Drinking?
Do you notice the pain is better or worse with alcohol? What about the days you take or don't take your meds. I don't believe the two are related to the pain though. Are you an active person? Any chance of muscle pull or strain? Nerve damage? I had all the gastro tests done too and there was no ulcer. Was even being treated for an ulcer I never had, but pain did not change. I've tried lots of things and now suddenly my pain is starting to get better. Someone suggested calcium/magnesium supplements to help build up muscle and repair nerve function. I also take a one a day multi-vitamin. I started those last thursday and thought it was another hoax, but since then I have had two coincidentally pain free days. I hope this is a sign of good things to come!!!! Or maybe my body is getting used to the pain. At any rate, I plan to keep trying with diet, exercise and vitimins and see where that takes me.
|

replied June 10th, 2005
Left Side Pain
I have had unexplained pain under my left rib side for a year. It occurs almost every day and affects the way I can do things all day. It is a constant pain, sometimes it flares up that I double over, goes around to my left kidney and sometimes to the other side. I have had every exam, test you can think of and they have come up with nothing. My last xray showed I had a slight curve in my spine. In 1999 I was diagnosed with primary biliary cirhosis. I don't find being active helps it any, and sometimes at night I apply a hot water bottle to it for relief. I am currently getting accupuncture because I have no options left. I have 2 children who I would like to spend more fun time with, but am unable to find any energy to do anything. The word frustrating comes to mind, and I find that when I get stressed out it intensifies. When I am away from the household I feel good usually, as soon as I step foot in my house I feel sick.
|

replied June 12th, 2005
Pain Still There
Well, despite best efforts my pain is not going anywhere. I had some good days this week, but when push comes to shove nothing has changed. My docs latest direction is physical therapy banking on the fact that it could me muscular or skeletal. I'm to start taking 800mg of ibuprofin 3 times a day, which didn't help before, use a heating pad 3 times a day for a half hour each time, and begin the therapy. If after several weeks there are no changes then it's off for an mri. Just more time, money and energy wasted if you ask me. I'm still in search of a cure or at least moment to moment confort. Has any one had pain into the left breast itself? This whole thing has me paranoid and feeling like every pain and odd feeling is cause for alarm...
|

replied October 7th, 2011
Splenic Flexure
I hope by this time you must have cured your disease. But if not pls write to me as I have similar problem and I got it cured
|

replied February 19th, 2012
Pain under rib
I have this pain , can you tell me what you did to cure it ?
|

replied June 15th, 2013
Regret the delay in replying but most of the times spleen enlargement is due to liver problem so I did yoga and took Liv-52 tablets (2 tablets thrice a day) and it got cured.
|

replied November 20th, 2013
how did you get this diagnosed?
|

replied April 14th, 2012
Moderate to severe pain under the right side of the rib cage
how was it cured ?
|

replied June 15th, 2013
Regret the delay in replying but most of the times spleen enlargement is due to liver problem so I did yoga and took Liv-52 tablets (2 tablets thrice a day) and it got cured.
|

replied May 24th, 2012
hi can you tell me how you cured this pain ,thanks
|

replied June 15th, 2013
|