Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Wellbutrin - Weight Gain/loss (Page 1)

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
Help... I have been on wellbutrin for a few years, and recently I switched from 300mg to 150mg xl.. In the short time that I have decreased my dose, I have gained at least 8 lbs, which on my small frame is a lot. I went on the wellbutrin because I have slight ocd and depression. Well, now that I have gained 8 lbs im completely obsessed with the weight and food ii think about it all day) not to mention being depressed over the weight gain. The reason I lowered the dose was because I was not sleeping.. Help.. Has anyone else experienced this.. And if so .. What can I do for the insomnia.. I need to get back on the 300mg so that I dont obsess over my issues.. Has anyone gone up and down in dosage before.. What did you experience?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper thirdday1
|

replied June 2nd, 2005
Wellbutrin
I just started welbutrin xl. It has much less chances of weight gain. Make sure you contact your doctor and get the right welbutrin. It does cause me insomnia, but in one week I alredy notice a great difference. I told my doctor I really didnt want any antidepressant that caused weight gain, and he told me that this one doesnt. So far this week I lost another 2 pounds. Check into this asap.. Karen
|

replied July 27th, 2005
Wellbutrin Xl For Weight Loss
I was just put on wellbutrin xl yesterday for excessive weight gain and some depression. Today I have hardly been able to stay awake! I know they say it causes insomnia, but it appears to be doing the opposite to me. Has anyone else had this problem? Do you think it is a good product to help with weight loss?
|

replied December 15th, 2011
Sleepy!
Yes!! It does the complete opposite to me too!! I take it, and then 30 min later I am nodding off! I've also gained 5 pounds in the week that I have been on it.
THAT SUX-
I not taking anymore, today was my last day!
|

replied May 20th, 2006
Re: Wellbutrin Xl For Weight Loss
I just quit taking effexor recently and I have been getting some strange withdrawal symptoms. Effexor and paxil made me gain 60 lbs over the past 4 years!!! I finally changed my family doctor, and I thik there is hope: he gave me wellbutrin xl 150 and will double that dosage real soon. He also suggested adipex for weight loss. Losing those 60 pounds is urgent.

I am battling obesity and depression -- hopefully things wil get better soon.

Anyone experienced adipex? Let me know pls! I need your help.
--------

devious wrote:
i was just put on wellbutrin xl yesterday for excessive weight gain and some depression. Today I have hardly been able to stay awake! I know they say it causes insomnia, but it appears to be doing the opposite to me. Has anyone else had this problem? Do you think it is a good product to help with weight loss?
|

User Profile
replied August 4th, 2006
Experienced User
I started wellburtin xl 150 ive lost 15 pounds...This stuff is amazing!
|

replied August 25th, 2006
Wellbutrin
Ive taken wellbutrin in the past and have lost 10 pounds in half the dose in about two weeks. I was only on it for 2 months I did manage to keep that extra weight off for about six months. It also increased my sex drive, not in a bad way either :) this I feel is for temporary depression and always works for me. But I did end up with pancreatitus at one time nothing major ,just do nott consume any alcohol .
|

replied August 28th, 2006
Very Depressing Help
I have been on anti-depressants most of my life. Very few have helped me, the majority of them make me feel more depressed.

I started wellbutrin last august and noticed weight gain. I went off it.
I was also on estrogen and wellbutrin.

I started back on wellbutrin and noticed a weight gain very quickly. I find when I take these meds that I just want to eat all the time. It does stimulate me and I do feel better on it, although at times agitated. It has also helped with my sexual desires.
I started on estrogel and wellbutrin at the same time. I noticed weight gain within a few weeks. I am up to 157 pounds and 5'2", i've never weighed this. I took myself off the wellbutrin gradually and started dieting. I have lost 7 pounds in 3 weeks. I am so happy with that.
However, my depression is getting bad again, i'm tired, and my husband said that I am flying off the handle again. (i had stopped doing this after a couple weeks on wellbutrin.
I don't know what to do !?
Any thoughts out there ?
What to do
|
Users who thank SHALLIEMAE for this post: savvykate 

replied February 20th, 2012
I watched "FAT, SICK & NEARLY DEAD" on Netflix & It has changed my life!!! Now I haven't done juicing to the extreme that they did. I juice breakfast & lunch & have cut down to HALF of my dosages of meds & have lost 47lbs in 5 months.
My husband (of 27yrs) has even noticed my whole outlook on life has changed! For the better!!!
I bought an "Omega Vert Juicer" & LOVE IT!!!
It's worth a try. Took a couple weeks of juicing before I really noticed a whole new me =)
I have been on SO MANY Anti-Depressants for the past 12yrs.
I also take Estroven Herbal Supplement.
|

replied October 2nd, 2012
Yeah, I'm gaining weight also from Wellbutrin and only been on it for 2 months. I am winging my self off of it because i feel so fat. This gaining weight is making me more depress.
|

replied February 6th, 2009
Weight gain
I have been taking Lexapro and stopped because of weight gain, changed to Pristiq, MORE weight gain. Has anyone lost weight on Wellbutrin XL after gaining on exapro and Pristiq. I have never weighed more than 125 lbs in my life and now I weigh 140 and can't fit into my clothes. Help
|

User Profile
replied February 8th, 2009
Weight gain on lexapro
I too was put on lexapro for anxiety attacks. It works wonderfully. However, I gained nearly 30 pounds in a years time. I was extremely depressed with this weight gain. My family doctor recommended starting Wellbutrin in addition to the lexapro for the depression and weight gain. I've been on it for only two weeks but have already lost 5 pounds and my appitite is much less now. Before I was constantly hungry and thought about food all the time. So far, I am very optimistic about combining these two medications.
|

replied October 11th, 2011
brand
are you using the brand name wellbutrin or the generic?
|

replied November 21st, 2013
Is there a difference in effect between the brand name and generic?
|

replied April 7th, 2009
Weight Gain
Help - I was on Effexor XR and was gaining too much weight and no sex drive. My doctor put me on Wellbutrin XL and I am gaining more weight than when I was on the Effexor. Pants I wore last week, I can't wear this week due to weight gain. Any answers as why this is happening. I feel like I am 6 months pregnant and didn't weigh this much when I had our son! I can't stand the depression but hate the weight gain. How can you feel good when you see pictures of yourself and can't stand to look at yourself anymore. I feel like a big fat cow! Help
|

replied May 21st, 2009
Weight Gain
I too have been on Wellbutrin Xl for a year the first 4 months lost 25 lbs. But slowly gained it all back plus 10 more in the last six months and can't lose an once of it. I have been trying exercising but i will be weaning off this crazy med tomorrow!
|

replied April 26th, 2011
I had to stop taking welbutrin 150 xl and I am a good eater and gained 8 lbs in 1 week and now I cant do a thing to lose it, I exercise and eat healthy and nothing works. I have been off for 5 months and still nothing, if you have any answers please help!!
|

replied June 8th, 2009
welbtrin
I've gained 25 lbs.in 5 months since STOPPING welbtrin sr. couldn't sleep and was given trazodone as a sleeping aid,agitated all the time given ativan ect ect. before you know it your carring a shoe box full of pills just for the side effect from welbtrin! Getting off welbtrin was tuff but trazodone is impossible. Maybe depression is the lesser of the 2 evils?
|

replied June 9th, 2009
I was on effexor for 2 years and gained 70 plus pounds!! When I approached my doctor about it, he said it was my eating habits. Just today I convinced him to let me try wellbutrin. It is near impossible to lose weight while on effexor and he actually recommended gastric bypass knowing I put the weight on from being on meds. The best part of all of this is, it didn't even help with my depression. I see more counsellors now than I did when I initially started and was 70 pounds lighter!!! I am at my whits end and very depressed over weight gain! I even feel like I lost my boyfriend to a thinner girl cause I gained so much weight...and that makes me even more depressed!!! there has to be a happy medium or some answer to to this dilema!!
|

User Profile
replied June 13th, 2009
I choose XL over SR
To all4health and others:

I, too, quit Wellbutrin SR for the way I felt - shaky, confused, anxious, irritated. I also took Trazadone to help me sleep. HOWEVER, my doctor recently prescribed WELLBUTRIN XL and I swear it's like night and day! I think the way it is released or made accounts for this difference. I am benefitting without the side effects now. I am very happy this works for me. With either Wellbutrin type, I did lose weight, but I believe some of that is from the fact that I am less fatigued and depressed, so I am more active and happy...therefore, I eat less and burn more calories. I only take 1/4-1/2 of a 50mg Trazadone now, but only when needed (not often anymore). I found it easy to back off the Trazadone by slowly reducing it and temporarily taking 1 Benadryl with it at bedtime. Honestly, the Wellbutrin XL seems so different. I am still a happy customer over a month later. Though everybody responds differently to medications, I thought my experience with XL would be helpful. Good luck and good health! Smile
|

replied November 3rd, 2009
welbutrin
When I was on Welbutrin I lost around 100 pounds. I was taking it for ptsd and depression. I have a severe anxiety disorder also stemming from my ptsd because of an exstreamly tramatic experience I had a couple years ago. Taking welbutrin it was hard to sleep so my doctor gave me trazadone to sleep. Then as my anxiety got worse (as well as my a stressful home life) and I was perscribed more and more meds like seroquel, lorazapam, adderal, xanax, valume, lamictical, and the list goes on..... By this time I was so mentally messed up I couldn't make healthy daily decisions for myself. It was so terrible I lost my job, my husband, my house, and the support of my family. I was taking prescribed medication and all of the sudden my life was a complete mess. I have stop completely taking ALL medication for 6 months and I started counseling with a pastor and certified counselor. I am back on the welbutrin and I just think its a great medication but PLEASE BE AWARE OF THE SLIPPERY SLOPE prescription drugs do. Always seek a counselor while taking any medication for depression , anxiety, or ptsd. I truly had a nervous break down and lost everything positive in my life before I knew what was happening.
|

replied November 27th, 2009
Weight GAIN
I've been taking the generic Wellbutrin XL for two weeks now. Cigarettes taste disgusting, I've gained seven pounds and feel bloated all of the time. ... and I'm extremely pissy. I shake all of the time, it's just horrible I absolutely hate this stuff and will not take it anymore! It's just making me more miserable!!!
|

replied December 15th, 2011
Ughh!! Tell me about it! I have been on Wellbutrin XL for 1 week now, and it has made me gain 5 pounds, and you're right, I feel bloated too!! Is that from the welbutrin?? It has to be, I wasn't like this until I started taking this dumb stuff., I am at 125 pounds right now....yuck!
|

replied December 14th, 2009
Cravings...
Hi - I just started taking Wellbutrin XL 150 about two weeks ago. I felt nothing at first, then for a few days wasn't very hungry at all. Now, all of the sudden I'm craving all sorts of rich salty and super spicy foods...I have never liked anything sweet, always have preferred cheese and pickles over cookies and cake...but this is crazy! I'm afraid that I'm going to gain a bunch of weight on this medication. I have always been thin, and conscious of what I eat, but lately I just don't feel as though I have the control to monitor what my body is asking for...very strange. Has anyone had similar experiences?
|

User Profile
replied December 17th, 2009
Experienced User
weight gain and loss is very stressful emotionally and on the body. also with relationships! agh. so hmm.
|

replied January 14th, 2010
Re: Weight gain on lexapro
jones9640 wrote:
I too was put on lexapro for anxiety attacks. It works wonderfully. However, I gained nearly 30 pounds in a years time. I was extremely depressed with this weight gain. My family doctor recommended starting Wellbutrin in addition to the lexapro for the depression and weight gain. I've been on it for only two weeks but have already lost 5 pounds and my appitite is much less now. Before I was constantly hungry and thought about food all the time. So far, I am very optimistic about combining these two medications.

lexapro made me gain 55 pounds in a year. plus it really didnt help my additude much either. now i was perscribed wellbutrin xl my doc said it will help my thyroid problem and my aggresion problem we will see
|

User Profile
replied January 14th, 2010
Community Volunteer
If anyone is going to go off Wellbutrin or any other drug, do it slowly....Come off of it as you came on to it, only in reverse order....Don't go cold trukey...Take care...

Caroline
|

replied October 2nd, 2012
Wellbutrin Weight Gain
I have been taking Wellbutrin for 2 month and I have gain 10 lbs. The first month it curved my appetite and after the second I was craving carbs like crazy. I just started to wing myself off of it and I'm never taking it again.
|