Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Appendix and Appendicitis Forum

Pain Under the Right Rib (Page 1)

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I've been having this dull pain/ache under my right lower ribs for about two weeks now. The pain is absent in the morning when I first wake up, but starts on my drive to work in the morning. Sitting upright or slightly leaned back seems to bring the pain on. By the end of the day the pain radiates throughout my right side.

Exercise (running) seems to alleviate the pain temporarily. When I go back to sitting down the pain slowly comes back. I guess the best way to describe the pain is as if something is pushing up from underneath my lowest rib at the point where it begins curve towards my back.

At it's worst, the pain can also be felt at the sternum and taking a deep breath causes a tightness in my chest when exhaling.

I went to the er last week. My chest x-ray and blood work was normal. (not sure what screens were run on the blood work) the doctor feels that I may have costochondritis and sent me home with a prescription for ibuprofin.

I've been taking the ibuprofin for about four days now. It alleviates most of the discomfort but the pain slowly returns as the medication wears off.

I'm not one to usually complain about discomfort but the persistence of this is wearing me out..... Along with the anxiety of worrying about this being something more serious.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 27th, 2005
Anonymous
Pain Under Right Rib
Hi there bobnetherland,
i read your post today.
I am wondering if you are still experiencing this discomfort as your symptoms sound so exactly like mine. I am also suffering from intermittent constipation and wonder if that is adding to it. Can you please let me know if you're doing batter, what has helped and any other details? I am worried and scared. I look forward to your reply.
Pg
|

replied August 29th, 2005
So, What Happened?
I have exactly the same symptoms and have no idea what it is. I've been experiencing them for the past 4 months or so. I've gone to the doctor and asked for an abdominal ultrasound. Everything came back normal. It's not bad, but, as you said, it's so persistent... Did you find anything out? Please, let me know on this website. Thank you.
|

replied August 31st, 2005
Anonymous
Pain Under Right Rib
I just read your question tonight. I also have been experiencing pain in the right rib area, however my discomfort began in the right lower quadrant. Come to find out I have a calcium deposit in my appendix. All I want to tell you is don't give up. You know something is wrong, keep getting second, third, etc. Opinions. As for the emotional upset, I suggest stress relievers such as walking, yoga, or movies. The most important thing, I believe is to keep your mind and body in balance, think clearly. Thanks.
|

replied September 11th, 2005
Anonymous
Calcium Deposit
I also have a calcium deposit on my appendix. Is that a dangerous thing to have and how do you get rid of it? I have ibs and diverticulitis also. I am always in pain. Is this an extra thing I need to worry about? Thanks
|

replied October 2nd, 2005
Re: So, What Happened?
anonymous wrote:
i have exactly the same symptoms and have no idea what it is. I've been experiencing them for the past 4 months or so. I've gone to the doctor and asked for an abdominal ultrasound. Everything came back normal. It's not bad, but, as you said, it's so persistent... Did you find anything out? Please, let me know on this website. Thank you.
|

replied October 29th, 2005
michael-melbourne wrote:
michael-melbourne wrote:

same here, guys. I was exercising left-and-right body sides-leining, after the period of long inactivity and computer work (sitting).
It resulted after 3 days in: sharp "electrical pains" moving from: lower stomach (right side) left ribb (rigt side), and ater 3 days suffering: finally
allocated sharp pain at right lower rib). It sits there now...

It's still there, and diagnosed as : sciatica nerv sensation. However, feels like it's hitting to lover right stomach from this position as well, when trying to sit for a longer period, by using those "electricals" or how I called them "pick pains" I think it's telling me" get out, and exercise !
When taking walks outside - helps, and when standing straight - helps. (if I bend a bit forwards - hurts again !).(in stomach-left, and ribbs...)

i think that comes from getting the body out of ballance (forward, and staying that way long times, with the body out of ballance will cause this).
Examples: long computer work with lening forward for hours, or jobs that you are "too tall" for.

At the moment I do plenty walk outside, and any exercise I want - no problem ! So we are looking for "something else" here to make a solution.
Till then, keep posting, and keep exercised and have plenty of walk outside.
(the trauma guy in emergency also said to me that this should block my stomach functions, and make me having "difficult and dry toilet", so they cleaned up my gutties, just in case. (however, I have no problem with indigestion during this problem, but x-ray showed that I am not extracting all the food, and: little is always left, so that's whay they "cleaned me up" I guess...).

Thank you !.
Michael, melbourne 29 oct 2005
:) :d
|

replied October 29th, 2005
michael-message 2 wrote:

costochondritis
-the most common cause of costochondritis that can be attributed to a source is costochondritis as the result of a traumatic injury. For example, a car accident where the driver's chest strikes the steering wheel can cause costochondritis by injuring the ribs and cartilage on the front of the chest.
=====================
diverticulitis
* eat more fiber.
High-fiber foods, such as fresh fruits and vegetables and whole grains, soften waste and help it pass more quickly through your colon.
This reduces pressure within your digestive tract.
Aim for 25 to 35 grams of fiber a day.
If you have a difficult time consuming this much fiber every day, consider using a fiber supplement.
* drink plenty of fluids.
Fiber works by absorbing water and increasing the soft, bulky waste in your colon.
But if you don't drink enough liquid to replace what is absorbed, fiber can be constipating.

Fortunately, most people with diverticulosis never develop diverticulitis. Best of all, you can help prevent both types of diverticular disease by including more high-fiber foods in your diet.
=====================
symptoms: small, bulging pouches (diverticula) in digestive tract — a condition known as diverticulosis.
Although diverticula can form anywhere, including in your esophagus, stomach and small intestine, most occur in your large intestine.
Because these pouches seldom cause any problems, you may never know you have them !

Sometimes, however, one or more pouches becomes inflamed or infected, causing severe abdominal pain, fever, nausea and a marked change in your bowel habits.

When diverticula become infected, the condition is called diverticulitis.
Mild cases of diverticulitis can be treated with rest, changes in your diet and antibiotics.

But serious cases may require surgery to remove the diseased portion of your colon.
Fortunately, most people with diverticulosis never develop diverticulitis. Best of all, you can help prevent both types of diverticular disease by including more high-fiber foods in your diet.
Over & out ! Keep posted !!!.
Michael, melbourne 29 oct 2005
[/quote] :) :d[/quote]
|

replied February 3rd, 2006
Re: Calcium Deposit
aynot1972 wrote:
i also have a calcium deposit on my appendix. Is that a dangerous thing to have and how do you get rid of it? I have ibs and diverticulitis also. I am always in pain. Is this an extra thing I need to worry about? Thanks
I have one too. (in addition I have ovarian cysts, and the doctors are not sure if its the cysts rupturing causing my pain, or my appendix, with the calcium deposit) the emergency room physician told me "a calcium deposit usually causes appendicitis. The only thing is, we cannot tell when it will happen. It can be a few days, a few weeks, a few months, a few years. Some people never have a problem with the calcium, but in my experience, more people are affected by it." so I have an appointment to see surgeon, and get his opinion on if my appendix should be removed or not.
My pain is usually in my lower right abdomen, below my belly button, but I have noticed about a week before I get terrible attacks, when I sit and drive my car I feel like my right bottom rib is catching something inside of me. Its almost like it gets hooked on something, and then I feel building pressure, for about a week. Then I get shooting, stabbing pains, that have made me go to the emergency room,on more than one occasion.

Good luck with it.
|

replied February 3rd, 2006
Re: Calcium Deposit
aynot1972 wrote:
i also have a calcium deposit on my appendix. Is that a dangerous thing to have and how do you get rid of it? I have ibs and diverticulitis also. I am always in pain. Is this an extra thing I need to worry about? Thanks
I have one too. (in addition I have ovarian cysts, and the doctors are not sure if its the cysts rupturing causing my pain, or my appendix, with the calcium deposit) the emergency room physician told me "a calcium deposit usually causes appendicitis. The only thing is, we cannot tell when it will happen. It can be a few days, a few weeks, a few months, a few years. Some people never have a problem with the calcium, but in my experience, more people are affected by it." so I have an appointment to see surgeon, and get his opinion on if my appendix should be removed or not.
My pain is usually in my lower right abdomen, below my belly button, but I have noticed about a week before I get terrible attacks, when I sit and drive my car I feel like my right bottom rib is catching something inside of me. Its almost like it gets hooked on something, and then I feel building pressure, for about a week. Then I get shooting, stabbing pains, that have made me go to the emergency room,on more than one occasion.

Good luck with it.
|

replied March 6th, 2006
Anonymous
Right Side Pressure And Tightness
I have the same pressure and tightness on the right side,,,,under the rib cage.....Could it be angina? My Dr. Does not know whats wrong I think he thinks i'm crazy..I also have heartburn...I'm 47 years ans on a c pap machine..I lay on my rightside every night with the machine ...I wonder if anyone else is on a c pap with this problem? This problem sucks!!!! Any help would be appreciated :?
|

replied March 8th, 2006
Re: Right Side Pressure And Tightness
number7_cigs wrote:
i have the same pressure and tightness on the right side,,,,under the rib cage.....Could it be angina? My Dr. Does not know whats wrong I think he thinks i'm crazy..I also have heartburn...I'm 47 years ans on a c pap machine..I lay on my rightside every night with the machine ...I wonder if anyone else is on a c pap with this problem? This problem sucks!!!! Any help would be appreciated :?
|

replied June 3rd, 2006
Sorry If This Is Too Much Info But I Dont Know What to Do
I've been getting a nasty pain under my right ribfor a while now. It started when I was pregnant with my son and I thought it was just severe heartburt cos I was 8-9months gone and gaviscon eased it eventually. I couldn't sit, lay or stand without it being painful and I definatly couldn't get back to sleep. I ended up sort of crouched against the couch with my head on my arms on the seat bit and that was the only way I could get remotely comfy.

It happened a few times since my son was born and eventually I was talked into going to the drs about it - she asked loads of questions and thought it might possibly be gallstones so i've got a scan booked for the 13th of this month. She also said if it happened again i'd to go straight up to the hospital.

It happened again bout a fortnight later with me waking up bout 3.30ish n finally manaing to crash out again when if finally eased off (i've since run out of gaviscon - not that I know if it was actually doing any good anyway)

i didn't go the hospital cos I really dont like them so I sat it through, ended up throwing paracetamol up which probably didn't help. It happened again from bout 3.30-4.30 til 6.30ish last night n the night before n is starting to feel niggling again now. I'm considering actually going up to the hospital like I was told cos this will be 3 nights running n i'm getting a little worried - also I dont think I can cope with a 3rd night of 3-4hrs sleep when my son will be up at bout 7-7.30ish again wide awake and rested after a nights sleep (hes 3 n a half months now)

i've been getting symptoms of loads of wind and exessive burping like other people have mentioned. Dr asked if going to toilet had been normal n I told her it had - however I didn't mention it was normal for me since being pregnant which was not quite dioreahea (or however you spell it) but not definatly solid either - looking on a few other sites this evening I dont know how relevant if t all that is.

I'm really getting woried cos I just spoke to my mum (i dont drive so she'll drive me to the hospital if it gets bad tonight - she made me promise i'll ring her if I wake up) n she kept mentioning a woman she knew who had gallstones nhad to go into hospital for the opertation n how really really painful it was - that really was the last thing I wanted to hear at this point. I'm half dead through lack of sleep - kindof in pain and scared... Not too good really - anyone got any help/suggestions/anything??
Please?

I'm going to post this in the general q&a bit as well to see if anyone thinks it could be something else but I really dont know
thanks in advance
|

replied June 2nd, 2008
help please!!!
I have pain in my upper ribs on both sides, I had this pain before I found out it was my inflamed appendix, After 3 weeks from that surgery I started to get that pain again. Could it be that I might have something else wrong with me? Should i be on a special diet still? I have also had a lot of diarrea. if anyone knows the answers to my questions please help me. thank you
|

replied January 25th, 2009
movement under lower right rib
I have been feeling an on and off pressure under my lower right rib cage, feels as though something is moving under there. It also feels a bit tingly like mild pins nd needles. It is starting to worry me, feels as if something is pushing to get out under there. I hope someone can help!
|

replied June 27th, 2009
I have been also feeling a dull pain, more like pressure that starts in my back(underneath my right rib) and comes around my right side. It becomes worse as the day goes by, or if I have been sitting for a period of time. I have been to the doctors and they said it was a urinary infection, so I have taken the medication, but for more than a year I have still had that dull pressure. Could it be kidney stones? You would think they would of pass by now? O r could it be something else?
|

replied September 27th, 2009
Wow this is kind of crazy i have been having a lot of sharp pains just under the right side (bottom) of my rib and its been a couple weeks now i thought maybe id google it and see if anything came up, there is a lot of different people with same symptoms as me and a lot of different answers. Seems like the best thing to do is go to the doctor.
The only thing i hate about doctors is you tell them about pain or problems and they brush it off like your are pretending. REALLY? do you think i have the time to take off work or find a babysitter just to go into a doctors office and pretend/act then go home and wait for the medical bill? So annoying, it actually is what made me want to be a doctor so i can actually be there to help people...
|

replied January 6th, 2010
I can't believe I'm reading these symptoms, it's like I wrote every one of them! I have been dealing with this for over 5 years now, ever since I was pregnant with my daughter who is now 4 yrs old. Her head was in the same spot as the pain now, so I figured the pain would go away, well like I said 5 yrs later I still experience the pain. I've been to several different doctors and have gone through umpteen tests to find out "nothing is wrong" WHAT??? I know my body, something is NOT right, I'm at my wits end, I don't know what to do anymore. I think I've suffered enough, I need answers but all the doctors I've seen just seem to care about how many patients they can get through in a day, they don't listen anymore!! So frustrating!!
|

replied August 13th, 2011
I am on this site as one day as I was crouching down doing some work, I felt as if something went up my abdomen and pushed out my lower ribs. Now I have aching stomach esp. on the right side below my ribs. I get a feeling depending on what I am doing that something is coming in contact with my lower ribs. I at present have had blood work and an xray (nothing wrong so far)...awaiting an ultrasound. What I would like to add is that after I had my second child, I started getting pains in my stomach to the point that I would throw up. This went on for several years...I always put it down to something that I ate. One night, the pains did not go away. I went to the hospital and had my appendix removed immediately. This may or may not be helpful.
|

replied August 27th, 2011
I have been experiencing the similar thing.
If I crouch down I start to feel like my organs or something is sliding up under my rib cage. Almost feels like when I was pregnant and my son would get his foot up under there. Anyhow I have to stand up slowly, and then I can feel whatever it is slowing move back out from under there. Its always on my right side. Most recently I have been getting almost a slight throbbing pain up under my lower right rib at random times of the day. I never have any real pain or tenderness any other time.
|

replied August 13th, 2011
I am on this site as one day as I was crouching down doing some work, I felt as if something went up my abdomen and pushed out my lower ribs. Now I have aching stomach esp. on the right side below my ribs. I get a feeling depending on what I am doing that something is coming in contact with my lower ribs. I at present have had blood work and an xray (nothing wrong so far)...awaiting an ultrasound. What I would like to add is that after I had my second child, I started getting pains in my stomach to the point that I would throw up. This went on for several years...I always put it down to something that I ate. One night, the pains did not go away. I went to the hospital and had my appendix removed immediately. This may or may not be helpful.
|
12 >>