Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Douche?

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
Hey ppl! I have a question... I'm gonna sound stupid Embarassed but I hear the term used so often i'm just wondering what exactly it is and how and why to do it. Douche? What exactly is it? I'm thinking it has something to do with cleaning, but i'm not sure. Can someone please help me out here? Thanks alot! Laughing
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 10th, 2003
Extremely eHealthy
I can help with cleaning but it can also lead to a yeast infection. There is something called vagisil cream cleanser and you put it on, and wipe it off to help, douching is not the best though. Its supposed to clean and freshen you down there, but I dont think its too good to use.
|

replied November 11th, 2003
Experienced User
Maybe Good-maybe Not
I've heard lots of different things about douching. For some women it works for others it does'nt. It's suppossed to clean you and give you a temporary nice smell. However, if you use it too much or improperly, it could be dangerous! There are creams and liquids, I personally have never tried the cream, so I don't know about that. The first time I used douche it kind of burned, but the second time it made me feel clean, and better. I guess use both and see what works for youi, or ask a doctor.

Just a side note--douche does not kill sperm. Don't try to use it as a form of birth control after the fact!

Sarah
|

replied November 24th, 2003
Good Question
Iam 20 I have never douched iam kinda afide to I have just resently became sexula active and I herd that is when you should start that and that is should be after your period but I don't have reguler period they some time skip around on me but I don't have any probs down thier besides the skipping round of my period I also herd that u can douced 2 much can you?
|

replied November 25th, 2003
Extremely eHealthy
I just started doing it, and I am 16 I had a bad stench and I wanted to be able to get pleased in other ways..I dont think that it is hard, but how often can I do it..
|

replied November 28th, 2003
You can douche once a month at the most. For those times when you want to feel clean in between... Save a bottle when you do douche. Rinse it out really good and refill it with water. Use this to clean yourself after sex. It just rinses out and doesn't cause yeast infections.
|

replied November 28th, 2003
What is it though?
|

replied November 30th, 2003
Experienced User
This is just my opinion, but I do not recommend doing it. I personally never have. However, my doctor has told me on severl occasions not to ever do it. Of course I am very sensitive down there and can get an infection in a matter of a second. Everyone does experience a little odor now and then. If it does not go away within a couple of days from bathing it may be caused from an infection that douche would probably make worse. The feminine deodorant spray also gives me infections, so you may not want to use that either! I don't know exactly how it works, but it is a cleaning solution that I believe you somehow get into your you know what and it washes the inside of you. (sorry, I could not think of any other way to describe it, somebody else might want to help her with what it actually is)
|

replied July 5th, 2009
PID
i am scared.... i don't exactly douche, but for a long time i have sprayed water from a faucet into my vagina as a means of masturbation.......i at timea feel a pain in my lower abdomen which goes away by itself...i do get regular periods....i am scared that i have PID because of this and may not be able to have babies.......oh God!!! i'm so scared Sad
|

replied January 21st, 2010
DO NOT DOUCHE!!! it messes with your natural vaginal pH adn also causes the "good" vaginal bacteria to be washed away. Without these "good" bacteria "bad" bacteria will grow out of control. douching can cause PID (pelvic inflammatory disease), BV (bacterial vaginosis), excessive bad smells "down there" and can even cause secondary infertility. You make think that douching will make your smelly vagina smell better, but it only covers up the smell! Girls, you need to ask your doctors about doing anything to your bodies!
|

replied January 26th, 2010
Noun 1. douchedouche - a small syringe with detachable nozzles; used for vaginal lavage and enemas
douche bag
syringe - a medical instrument used to inject or withdraw fluids
2. douche - irrigation with a jet of water or medicated solution into or around a body part (especially the vagina) to treat infections or cleanse from odorous contents
irrigation - (medicine) cleaning a wound or body organ by flushing or washing out with water or a medicated solution
Verb 1. douche - direct a spray of water into a bodily cavity, for cleaning
cleanse, clean - clean one's body or parts thereof, as by washing; "clean up before you see your grandparents"; "clean your fingernails before dinner"
|

replied October 20th, 2011
bigg.... question poeple
can i use a douche that has ph-balace in it as well as its been gynecologist tested. hint ive never used one and im 22. and the douche is only vinegar and water. is it still ok to use cause i just bought one and im a little scared because ive been reading up on it but some say its ok if i do it once a month need a answer cant aford a doctor to poor....jrs
|

replied January 26th, 2013
dO nOT dOUCHE!
I just used douche for the first time yesterday ,since i ended my cycle. I started getting pain in my lower abdomen about an hour later. It hurts to bend over , squat, & sit. Also, pain in my lower back. Ive been in the bed since i got back home. Im going to the doctor in a few, PLEASE DONT DOUCH! THIS IS PAINFUL! ask your doctor whats the best way to get rid of bad odors. (although ive been tested regularly & i have no infections or diseases i thought this would work, THAT WAS A IE!)
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Andrew Rynne
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov