Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Arthritis Forum

Parvo Virus (Page 1)

Must Read
Arthritis is the most common cause of disability in the United States. Learn more about types of arthritis here....
Do you feel pain and stiffness in your body or have trouble moving around? You might have arthritis. Learn more about arthritis signs and symptoms here....
Signs and symptoms of rheumatic diseases are common to many different diseases. Diagnose arthritis correctly using these step-by-step diagnosis instructions....
I have just been diagnosed with this. It mimics rheumatoid arthritis and the first doctor I saw thought it was ra, becuase my mother has ra. Has anyone ever heard of parvo? I can't find a lot of information on it or anyone who has had it. My doctor didn't seem very concerned about it. Put me on steroids and an anti inflammatory. Any information would be appreciated!!! Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Sissytoo
|

replied May 15th, 2005
Parvovirus
As I understand it - this is also the virus causing fifth disease, and it's usually pretty insubstantial. Kids get it all the time as just a "lacy rash" or "slapped cheek look" and sometimes slight fever...Adults sometimes have the same symptoms but get r.A. Like swelling/pain/tightness as well. Time it lasts varies - our kids had it, then my husband, then me - about a week. It is usually not serious at all and goes away. They say that by the time the rash appears, the contagiousness has gone away so they don't even send kids home from school when they have the rash. Hope you're feeling better!
|

replied May 24th, 2005
Strengthening your immune system is a must and can be done naturally…drop me an e-mail and I will send you some information.

Yours in health,

stephane

|

replied August 24th, 2011
Not always effective
I have tried all the Killer T-Diets, Inosine, Co-Q 10, Omega-3, etc. and very little results. These work if the disorder(s) have nor progressed to the severe point. Light or possible moderate symptoms are assisted but not severe one.
|

replied June 28th, 2005
Re: Parvovirus
I would be cautious about settling for a diagnosis of parvovirus. Especially with a first-degree relative with ra. I am a physician who was initially diagnosed with parvovirus. Six months later, they decided it really was ra. Unfortunately, I got started on treatment late and had already suffered some joint damage. I wouldn't want this to happen to someone else.

Both parvovirus and ra are clinical diagnoses: there is no definitive test for either one. So what you are getting are opinions. They thought I had parvovirus because I was positive for the antibody (like 60% of the adult population) and lacked enough criteria for a diagnosis of ra; the problem is that those criteria were based on patients who had had ra an average of 8 years. So you could have ra and not fulfill the criteria for diagnosis - yet.

Arthritis from parvovirus seems uncommon; my rheumatologist had seen only 3 (!) people with it. Compare that to the hundreds in her practice with ra. Also, there is some speculation in the research community that ra may be triggered in a genetically susceptible individual by a virus - like parvovirus.

Not to be a downer! I hope this does just turn out to be parvovirus for you. As I understand it, the viral arthritis can last (uncommonly) for up to 2 years and leaves no permanent damage. I am posting this in the hopes that someone else may avoid a late diagnosis like mine and get proper treatment early; my ra turned out to be quite aggressive and took forever to get under control.

Good luck.
|

replied March 29th, 2011
You probably don't check this often, but if you do, I was interested in your post. I have had parvovirus for about 8 weeks. I had no pain before, now pain daily. I am 32 and a NP. When I saw the rash, I had an IGE and IGM done. My IGM was high. I know this is from parvovirus, but I just can't believe at 32 I have to have ibuprofen in my system to just function! It seems odd that this is so rare and I can't find any physicians that know anything about it.
|

replied April 19th, 2011
parvovirus and arthritis symptoms
Hi Sara, I am a nurse of 26 years. I had parvovirus last spring, diagnosed after my persistence for the test. I had been tested for lupus and RA, both negative and kept searching for the possible problem. I am 60, and in good health. I needed ibuprofen also, and was off work for 10 weeks due to severe joint pain and fatigue. My doctor didn't have a clue even after I listed the symptoms I'd had for 1 week before the severe knee and hand pain and swelling started.
It has been a year, and I don't feel the same yet. Maybe it's the spring "virus" time of it again, but I am off work for at least 1 month, waiting for an MRI and diagnosis of my knees now. Feels like maybe arthritis or a tear, but I've had no injury. I came across your post looking for others who have arthritis symptoms after parvovirus.
Most people are fine after a few months. Good luck to you.
One thing that really helped was anti-inflammatory eating, which I am reminding myself of to start again.
|

replied April 20th, 2011
I just had the IGE and IGM testing done again. I still have active virus, but it is less than it was. Hopefully, it will eventually go away. Have you had your blood tests done again for Parvo virus? I'm wondering if people with chronic arthritis symptoms continue to have elevated IGE??
How horrible that you are still dealing with this. I just can't believe that a virus can cause symptoms like this. It makes me wonder how many people out there suffer from viral arthritis caused by the millions of viruses out there! Creepy!
I would like to know more about anti-inflammatory eating...
|

replied June 4th, 2012
It is a bad virus. I am infected and mine is more serious because it messes up my blood count and I needed blood count every 3 wks. I had IVIG treatment last 5/8-5/9 and I there is a little progress so far but I am hopeful to get better. I was tested for all kinds of diseases such as genetic issues, Hepatitis, HIV, all kinds of autoimmunue diseases, spleen issue, RA, and I had bone marrow biopsy. I have occassional athritis symptoms on my feet and hands, painful. I may need a follow up treatment of IVIG. If anyone needs to be tested for Parvo virus, it has to be Parvo virus DNA test by PCR.
|

replied June 17th, 2012
Parvo virus challenge
I have the same case like yours. I had IVIG treatments for 2 days(4/8-4/9/2012). My reticulocytes count went up. 1 progress in a big way. I had 2 blood transfusion since then. I requested another treatment and was done last Thursday 6/14/2012. My case is more complicated than others because of blood clotting. Loxoprofen seems to be a good NSAID as I read from researches. I hope for the best in the future. I am looking for a good infectious disease doctor or anybody who is an expert in Parvo virus infection. It is a challenge.
|

replied June 10th, 2011
Hi sara, I am a NP also and recently diagonosed with parvo. I have had it for at least 1 and 1/2 years but just got diagnosed. My biggest symptom at first was dramatic weight loss because I felt so bad. I have lost 25 lbs total. then after that the joint pain set in. Mostly in the hands, fingers, feet and ankles. I see a rheumatologist who put me on plaquenil and it has seemed to help some. NSAIDS don't help me at all. I can function most days well, but if I overdue it and get a flare up, I am a mess. I also will have episodes were all of a sudden my wrist or ankle hurts so bad that I am limping or can't flex my wrist. Then in 2 or 3 days it goes away as quickly as it comes. I hope all goes well for you. KayeNP
|

replied July 21st, 2005
Parvovirus
How did you finally get your ra under control?
|

replied July 21st, 2005
Re: Parvovirus
Well, to be honest, my ra is not under control. I am currently on what I understand to be standard triple-therapy - plaquenil, methotrexate, sulfasalazine. Despite this, since my last posting, my symptoms have gotten worse. I recently went back on steroids to try and get some relief, but didn’t respond as well as I did to them the first time. It’s true what they say about steroids: it’s never as good as the first time!

I suppose second-line agents will be the next thing i’ll try (the biologics). I’m not sure how long my rheumatologist plans for me to stay on this current regimen before deciding it’s not working. Being a doctor, you’d think i’d remember to ask these things, but I always seem to leave appointments having forgotten to ask something key!

Best of luck.
|

replied October 7th, 2006
Parvo Virus Arthralgia For 3 Yrs Now
Sad
hi,
i am a 33 yr old nurse and approx 3 yrs ago I started with horrible stiffness, pain in my fingers and wrists almost overnight. I worked full time and went to school full time and thought stress. Well it continued to get worse and I went to family Dr. He sent me to rheumy who said not ra, blood work negative, also negative for lupus. I did test positve for parvo and was told that arthralgia may last for months. Well, 3 yrs later and the flares get worse and worse and now involve my ankles and knees. High doses of prednisone and ultram are the only way I can even start my day, and even now they don't help as much, pain keeps me up alot at night...Very tired. I just saw an immunologist that is running all autoimmue and rheumatology tests. Every year I go back and am told that this is all parvo virus s/s and this year the prednisone had to be an even larger dose as did the pain meds...Not hardly touching it...Doing injections and pills and this dose almost done and no relief...I was informed that I could suffer this for up to 10 yrs with possible increase in severity...I feel like I am trapped in a 70 yr old body...Is this possible, all fall out from parvo virus??? Is anyone aware of any clinical research going on anywhere in the country? At this point I am game for anything that will releive suffering. I love being a nurse and am having so much dexterity difficulty, not to mention my fingers are beginning to twist unsightly, but I go to drs at least 3-4 times a year for flare and they are shocked at how red and swollen my hands, fingers, wrists and now knees and ankles are and even mention the twisting of the tips of my fingers...But again they say parvo..Sorry to vent, so hard to find any research or info on the stuff...I guess all we can do is hang in there and hope...But I have yet to find anyone who has had this arthralgia as long as I have...Anyone?? Thanks
|
Users who thank Sissytoo for this post: RobLawrence 

User Profile
replied March 17th, 2013
I wrote a very long reply to your post, Sissytoo because i think our cases are the most similar in length and description. But my words disappeared when I tried to post it (I wasn't logged in, or something). Please write back if you want to discuss. -rob
|

replied October 22nd, 2006
Parvo Virus, My God Please Help!
Omg I was so surprised to see all this on parvo virus, I was diagnosed with it like 6 months ago and I do have ra and have had it for 12 yrs. I have severe pain 24/7 and I would love to hear from anyone out there please email me.
|

replied August 17th, 2007
Parvovirus
I am 45 years old and I was diagnosed with Parvovirus B19 27 months ago. I also still have swollen joint, joint pains, red rash on face occassionaly, extremely fatigues. Every morning I barely can walk until all my joints loosen up. I have headaches all the time because the joint pain is in my neck alot of the time. My doctor sent me for blood work in the beginning which came back positive for parvovirus. I recently asked him when all these symptoms will go away and he told me that what ever I still have from the original onset of my symptons is what I am always going to have. I sometimes get really depressed because I get real tired of being in pain and extremely fatigues. The days are few and far inbetween when the symptons seem to dissapate....but they always come back within a day or two. I just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone in this. I hope you are feeling better soon
|

replied March 30th, 2008
parvovirus treatment
I know there is one type of treatment for people with parvovirus who continue to have arthritic symptoms and chronic fatigue symptoms. It's called IVIG (immunoglobulin) treatment. It's something they give you through an IV, and apparently you need 5 days of treatment. I have had parvovirus for three months with all the arthritic symptoms, fatigue, rash, dizziness as well as blurred vision. I am planning to seek treatment if my symptoms don't get any better. People who get IVIG treatment typically see relief from all symptoms from the case studies I have found on the web.
I am surprised they don't have a vaccine for parvo considering all the serious symptoms adults can have as a result of this virus.
|

replied April 4th, 2008
Parvo
I’m 43 and was diagnosed with Parvo B-19 about 3 yrs ago, after being exposed to someone's child that came to visit where I work. The first 3 mos with the virus were awful, for 3 consecutive months almost to the day. I came down with 102+ fever for a wk and could not walk because of all the joint pain. By the 2nd month my Dr. began testing me for all kinds of things until by the 3rd month, the mother of the child that visited told me I may have been exposed to Parvo b-19 and sure enough, when tested had the antibodies to the virus and all the classic adult symptoms. For the last 3years I suffered on and off with joint pain, mostly neck, hip, knees, and back. I finally went to see my Dr. yesterday because the pain in my hip was so bad; I was walking with a limp. She sent me for X-rays to see if anything would show up, they just called and they could not see anything wrong. It's weird I was fine the day before and suddenly at 3:00 am woke up with extreme hip pain. This has happened on and off for the last 3yrs. Then last night I slept on my back, because the side position was out of the question, and now my back and neck is so painful, I couldn’t even go to work today. This is the first time I've missed work since the first 4 mos with the virus, usually I just go and tuff it out, but I can't even turn my neck and I keep getting spasms shooting in the middle of my back and under my scapulars, never mind my hip. This really stinks. Golf season is starting soon here in the NE and I keep hoping this goes away, but it doesn't. Another frustrating part is the Dr.’s really don’t know too much about this virus. Has anyone seen a doctor that really helped with dealing with the symptoms of this virus? Any help would be great! Thank you!!
|

replied April 4th, 2008
parvovirus treatment
Keep the faith,

I have only had this for over 3 months now, but have been doing a lot of research since my symptoms are driving me crazy. I have found several forums with people with parvo who have had symptoms on and off for years. It is very frustrating with how little docs. seem to know about the seriousness of this virus. I have seen 8 docs. so far. I am trying to find one who will do IVIG (immunoglobulin) treatment. From the case studies I have read this is the only treatment that can help permanently. Since I have had this only for 3 months, there is still a chance all my symptoms could go away. But besides the fatigue, body ache, dizziness, I'm also having vision problems and hair loss which is scaring me. Also, my symptoms don't seem to be letting up at all. At this point I'm trying to remain vigilant in finding a doctor. What has also been frustrating is that I will call an office ahead of time and tell them I have parvo and seeking IVIG treatment. They tell me yes, we do that treatment. Then I go to the appointment and they have no idea what I'm talking about. If you want to look at some of the case studies do a web search for parvovirus B19 and chronic fatigue. And another study is rheumatoid arthritis and parvovirus B19. It does help to know that there are other people out there dealing with this too.
Holly
|

replied April 4th, 2008
Parvo treatment
Hi Artmom,
Thanks so much for your response. I will check out your suggestions. It really drives me nuts when I keep reading that this is just a mild illness, and maybe for most people it is, but where is the help for the 20% that are really suffering. Before getting this, I was a very healthy person, pretty much had my yrly physical and mammogram and was sent on my way. So this tells me that even real healthy people can have a difficult time with this virus. I have a feeling there are more of us out there, but like me, most people with severe joint pain, just deal with it. Dr's tell you to take ibuprofen, that's it... I do take care of myself, I don't smoke, drink alcohol, I eat lots of fruits and organic vegs, I juice every day, and try to exercise on the good days, which has kept me healthy from colds and flu’s, but for some reason this virus still wants to attach my body. Your visit to the Dr’s and them not knowing what you are talking about in reference to the IVIG treatment doesn't surprise me. That is so very frustrating. I have gone to see a couple of doctors, because when I first got sick, it also brought on some weird allergies to foods and such, (weird) and it's a long story, but when I mentioned having the B-19 virus they all seem to glaze over and offer no help. Please keep us posted on your condition and if you try the IVIG treatment, I may look into that myself. I thank God for the folks out there that are willing to share thoughts and information and for my understanding husband.
Take Care.
|

replied July 14th, 2008
Arthritis: Fifth (Parvovirus B19) and Psoriatic Arthritis
I have psoriasis and was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis several months after the birth of my first child in Nov 05. (I guess the long labor, surgery, and lack of sleep zapped my immune system.) About 10% of people with psoriasis get the arthritis. About a year after my son's birth, my arthritis was less severe and manageable. After the birth of my second child in Jul 07, once again the arthritis came back with a venegence. After about 9 months, it became more manageable again.

Now my 4 1/2 yr old son was diangosed with Fifth Disease in May '08. Not long after, I woke up with swollen feet, hands, and knees. I creep around like an old lady. I go tomorrow to see if I can get some relief - maybe predisone. I pray it does not last for months/years. I'm going on about 5-6 weeks now. The mornings are very difficult.

Symptoms I have noticed: swollen hands/feet/knees. Sore neck and shoulders. Hair loss (around the 4 week mark). Reduced menstral cycle flow.

Sounds like main treatments are ibuprofen, steriod, or IVIG (immunoglobulin). I'll share any insight I gain.
|

replied July 15th, 2008
Parvo Virus
I have just been diagnosed with Acute Parvovirus - i have swelling of the joints in my hand, knees and toes. I had gone to my family doctor who recommended see a rheumatologist who ordered a blood test to see if this what was causing the swelling in my joints (because this mimics RA). The blood test came back 6 times what the normal level should be......i have days that so bad that I cannot get out of bed. Been on Prednisone for a little over a week and hate the side effects from this. Any suggestions.....
|

replied October 8th, 2008
Parvo and TMJ?
I am 34 years old and a mother to 3 boys ages 5,3, and 1. I was diagnosed with Parvo B19 4 weeks ago. I am exhausted and still in pain. However, not quite as bad as 2 weeks ago but I struggle daily. I am on 800mg ibuprofen every 6 hours. For the past 5 days my right jaw hurts so much that I can hardly eat and it even hurts to talk. I thought with parvo it would hurt on both sides? So my question is do you think it is TMJ or is it just another horrible parvo symptom.
|

replied November 6th, 2008
Parvo virus
I, too, was diagnosed with Parvo Virus 11 months ago and cannot seem to shake it. About one year ago I started having chest pains (in the chest wall - not cardiac) and seemed to be "popping" a lot in the upper body whenever I would wake up. Also had some morning stiffness. Then one month later - I suddenly could hardly walk! I ached all over, especially my thighs and upper body. Severe muscle spasms also were a problem and I could not sleep at night, my heart seemed to pound out of my chest. After seeing my doctor numerous times, she finally ordered a CBC (complete blood count) along with other tests for auto immune diseases, such as lupus, RA, etc. Everything came back normal. Except I had an extremely elevated Strep count. After taking two round of antibiotics it came back only slightly down. (I have had strep at least twice a year all my life and had my tonsils taken out at age 34. We decided that is why my antibody count is so high.)

Anyway, she finally did a test for human parvovirus and it came back positive (showing a fairly recent infection by the titers). She told me it would take about one year to go away and recommended Lyrica, which is used for fibromyalgia. I declined because I didn't like the side effects. I started taking muscle relaxers, plus she put me on Zoloft (maybe because I thought I was going crazy). These helped, but I gained 10 lbs. so I took myself off after 6 months. Now here it is about one year later, and I STILL have pain - mostly in my hip joints. I'm about to go crazy wondering if I will ever feel normal again. Sometimes I think I have fibromyalgia, but the Dr. doesn't. I've also considered MS - but she says no. I think I read too much stuff on the Internet! Does anyone else have symptoms that have lasted this long with parvovirus?
|

replied November 12th, 2008
Parvo virus
To ljk66 in response to your question about your symtoms lasting so long.......I had parvo 4 years ago. The odd thing for me was, now don't laugh this is no joke, my symtoms started approximately 1 month after putting down two puppies with Parvo. Now I know "humans can not get dog Parvo" but to me it is just to much of a coincidence. Anyhow, i was so very sick for months, fatigue, headaches and the most bothersome was the painful joint pain in legs and hands. The symptoms eventually subsided but you know I have just not been the same since. Pain in my hands comes and goes, numbness of fingers. A couple of months ago i had horrible pain in shoulder i could hardly lift, no injury. Then that subsided after a month then chest wall pain, went to hospital afraid of heart attack or blood clot (I am 45 yr old woman) told everything okay, sent home being told I must have had panic attack. My Primary doc concluded it was bruised chest wall muscles although i had no injury. That pain, although much better is still there. Now, for past two weeks swollen knee with at times excruciating pain. I feel like i am literally falling apart from head down. Oh and i have suffered from moderate to severe headaches for years. I am currently awaiting results of blood tests and x-rays. I pray i do not have RA but at least i would have an answer. I feel like a hypochondriac. Could this all be from the Parvo?
|

Parvo
Horsegirl,

I was told that it lasted approximately one year, but after researching on the Internet I have also seen documented cases lasting 2 or more years. I am still not thouroughly convinced mine is parvo. I occasionally have these weird sensations all over my body. Along with this strange, shooting feeling down my left leg (feels like it's coming from my hip), I also have these "vibrating" sensations sometimes when I am laying down. The only way I can describe it is it feels like my body is leaning up against a washing machine in the spin cycle! When I ask my husband if he can feel me shaking he says "no" - probably thinking it's all in my head! At first the shaking was really bad, but since then it hardly ever happens and when it does it is so slight I sometimes think I am imagining it. However, I have seen dogs with parvo and they do shake! I know - human parvo is NOT the same as canine, but...... I still think I may have fibromyalgia, but cannot convince anyone. I am currently taking a NSAID for hip pain. If this doesn't seem to help I am going to demand to see a rheumatologist! Good luck with everything!
|

Parvo
lkk66, thanks and good luck to you too. I just wanted to say i have had my bouts with all kinds of things thru the years, chronic fatigue, tonisilitis, mono, gall stones, ect..... i have to say that if you are lucky enough to get a good, compasionate doctor who will look out for you great, if not you have to be your own advocate. No one cares about your own health as much as you do and i have been know to get in doctors faces and say.....refer me to blah blah, or no it is not working i need you to do something else. Just be persistant and hang in there. Good luck to you!
|