Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Gum Has Turned Grey Above Tooth And Is Very Sensitive

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
Hello,

i got very sick several years ago after having immunizations done in boot camp and virtually all of my teeth went bad in a 3 month period. I brush 3 times daily and use listerine, but have very serious plaque build-up around the tops of my teeth. The lower parts of my teeth are fine, but they are all very deeply pitted right around the gum-line. My primary problem is with one tooth, however(although I would like to solve some of the other problems eventually).

The tooth was broken about 10 years ago and I got a cap put on it; repeat this about 5 times over then next 3 years(caps don't last me more than about a month normally before they break, don't really understand why). Anyway, the tooth got impacted in 1999 and I had a root canal done on it, but the cap they put over the tooth shattered into little chunks a few weeks later and left a hole in the back of my tooth. The impaction came back a few weeks later and I have lived with it ever since, because I simply can't afford the dental bills(i already have thousands in this stupid tooth). Anyway, the tooth bothers me a lot and the gum above it has been swollen for about 4 and a half years now with infection, but what worries me is that it has now turned a deep grey color(my gum--the tooth has been deep black since 99). Also, the top of the cap is very sharp and causes my gum to bleed where it touches it.

Now, I hear a lot about receding gums, but mine do the opposite, they grow down my teeth and I have to push them back up or they get swollen and hurt a lot.

Is there any way that I can pull this tooth out myself(it is one of the two in the very front of the top)? And what does the dark grey color of my gum mean? Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper mike101
|

replied November 7th, 2003
Experienced User
The grey area indicates general ill health and will most likely be a result of long term infection and swelling.

The work you describe should have lasted longer than it did. There seems to be a real difference in the approach to dentistry in the us compared to where I live in australia.

Apart from brushing and flossing you might also benefit from products like t tooth mousse which is a topical calcium and phosphate creme. I believe it is distributed in the us by a company named gc america inc located in alsip, il.

I know of two dentists who tried to remove their own teeth and both ended up in hospital emergency rooms. I would not reocmmend diy.

Mike
|

replied February 16th, 2012
thanks
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile