Medical Questions > Parenting > Toddlers Forum

Shingles

Must Read
Minor and more serious burns account for over 2 million doctor visits each year. But what is a burn? And what happens to the skin when it gets burned?...
Why are children at risk of burns? And what agents can cause the skin to burn? More on causes of skin burns and risk factors you can avoid here....
When should you seek medical help for a skin burn? We review common symptoms of burned skin as well as symptoms of airway burns here....
Help! My 3 year old son was diagnosed with shingles today, the doc is running tests to see if it was caused by his immune system being low, has anyone had this problem or know of anyone who has so I can get more info on it? Everything I have been reading is leading to cancer or other diseases like that. I would love to hear from someone on this...Thanks!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 7th, 2003
Experienced User
I had shingles when I was about 8 y.O.

In younger people it is generally a result of a low immune system and often occurs when a child has had chickenpox.

I would follow your doctors advice and testing process, but I would not jump to any serious conclusions

mike
|

replied December 1st, 2003
Experienced User
Shingles is just a version of the herpes virus. Since your child is small, they may never have a problem with it again. Or, it could come back from time to time. Ask your doctor about preventative methods. But since he is a child, I wouldn't worry too much about it coming back any time soon.
|

replied June 14th, 2010
Toddler with Shingles
Did you ever get an answer for all of this - my two year old is going through exactly the same thing, and we are all worried.
|

replied July 20th, 2010
TODDLER WITH SHINGLES
My daughter has it too, and last yr it was said to have been a rash only the scars tell the pediatrician it was shingles and she just got a rx for medication to help.. but no answers to how she got it, why its back and she has the chicken pox vaccine and never had chicken pox-
anyone else going through this???
|

replied November 12th, 2010
My daughter was diagnosed with Shingles when she was one and a half, they ran tests to see if she had cancer (leukemia ) he couldn't work out why her immune system was so low ! The test came back A ok all was good thank god. Hope it was the same for all of you.
|

replied June 12th, 2012
Toddler Shingles
My stepdaughter is 22 months old. We are going through the same thing. It is on the small of her back around herright hip.These babies are getting shingles because they've had the chicken pox vaccine. We've been using plain old corn startch on the rash. Just rub it over the rash, softly of course. We put it in her bath water too. Cortisone cream stung so we only tried that once. Also keeping her in a onesie and pants has helped it heal faster. She cant claw at the rash.I did give her Advil the first few days. I've heard its very painful. She also has a sever double ear infection. Maybe that's her part of "low immune system". She had this about 3 months ago also. I hope this helps!
|

replied April 4th, 2013
Same here my two year old son has been vaccinated and also has shingles.
|

replied April 9th, 2013
I was told today that my 3 year old has a small case of shingles too. The pcp i saw today didnt mention anything about his immune system or anything just prescribe us something and sent us on our way... I am very confuse. I never heard of babies or toddlers getting shingles until now. I am scared of cancer n the other things since my son had a brain tumor 2 years ago. Wasnt cancerous but still its a thought that is burden on me now. If anyone gets any answers why this is happening to our children pls reply back thx.
|

replied February 4th, 2014
It isn't because of the vaccine, but rather the fact the that their immune system has been exposed to herpes zoster. I never had chicken pox as a child and therefore my son received the vaccine. The day I gave birth to my daughter my son came down with a significant case of chicken pox. Even having been immunized. That left me exposed to the live virus and my newborn daughter. 2weeks later at 38 yrs old I had a raging case of chicken pox. 2 weeks after that my newborn developed them. Fast forward to 5 years later and she has 2 very tiny red bumps on her chest. My cousin's baby was over that day. 2 weeks later the baby comes down with chicken pox. Turns out my daughter had shingles. She never received any vaccination since she had it as a baby. My son ot chicken pox even after being immunized. I really believe it has less to do with bed vaccines or compromized immune systems and more to do with possible mutations of the viruses today or simply percentages when considering the bigger picture.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Bruce Harrow
User Profile
Deepak Anvekar