Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Swelling On Right Side 4 Days After Wisdom Teeth Removal

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
Today is friday and I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed on monday. My 2 bottom wisdom teeth were impacted. Today my right side is swollen and it hurts to open my mouth on that side. I can't open my mouth that much so eating is hard. I am also experiencing some moderate numbness in my chin-it's just a little numb and i'm hoping it will go away. Is it normal to have swelling 4 days after? I was fine until late last night and then the swelling started. Also my front teeth feel a little weird but I guess this is to be expected with wisdom tooth extraction. Has anyone ever experienced that? My main question is about the swelling 4 days after the removal. I guess everyone is different.

Last edited by sherman2 on April 30th, 2005 08:19 PM; edited 1 time in total
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 30th, 2005
Usually swelling and bruising occurs initially. Depending if they were impacted it might have been more difficult to get them out. Ice wrapped in a cloth will help a bit. You may want to go get it checked out by your denstist, if it worsens. Also if the swelling inside your mouth makes you feel like it is making it hard to swallow or breath get things checked out for sure. The most important thing when you get your teeth out is that the clot that forms in the hole must not be disturbed. I am sure they talked to you about dry socket and how to prevent it. You will now if that happens because it is very painful! Numbness is normal. There is a nerve channel that is along your jaw to your chin, often the roots of the teeth are close to this. Usually the feeling comes back, it can take months sometimes. In rare cases it doesn't. Because of the pressure required to remove the teeth sometimes it does make your other teeth feel strange, this should improve as well. If they didn't give you meds for pain , try advil (ibuprofen) its good for dental pain and inflammation.
|

replied May 20th, 2005
How much did your procedure cost? Did you do general or local anesthesia?

If the swelling just started days after the procedure than I would ask my dentist about it. But i'm not a doctor or anything.
|

replied September 20th, 2009
I have a heart condition and had gotten an absses tooth which changed to teeth very quickly and wasnt well enough to have them extracted due to not being able to get the infection under control. 1.5 weeks ago I had 8 molars removed. in the last day or two my tongue is burning on the right side and I have seemed to pull muscles or something and now I am in a great deal of pain, and its all on the right side. My tongue and gums swell quite a bit when i get a sharp pain going up my neck to under my chin. Is this normal?
I went to sleep for my surgery 8 molars pulled cost for that day was 1100.00
|

replied August 19th, 2010
After reading all these posts, I was getting worried since I had the same symptoms... But, I am glad to annonce that it took about 2-3 weeks and now, everything is back to normal. The surgeon explained that it was not an injury to the nerve but really an injury to the gum (and then, it was putting pressure on the nerve). Really hope that your situation will be similar to mine and go away within a few weeks. Don't be afraid to go see your surgeon, if you have any doubt.
|

replied August 26th, 2010
Hi,I had my wisdom tooth extraction on 18th aug,I had stiches over there.yesterday dentist removed stiches bt still m not able to open my teeth properly,whn i will be ok ,what to do m very tensed ,can anybody plz help..when i try to eat something it pains when i try to take smthing inside my mouth..
|

replied October 19th, 2011
Ive had my wisdom teeth out for a week now and my breathe is bad. Even when i brush my teeth. & i still have swelling and a very hard lump on the right side of my mouth. I was wondering what i should do about the lump & bad breathe
|

User Profile
replied October 19th, 2011
Community Volunteer
Hi Lexi_nicole and welcome to ehealth: I am assuming that you had all of them out and are just bothered by one...If this is true, then call your dentist...I had a wisdom tooth and molar next to it taken out 10 days ago, and didn't have a lump...This could be infected...Did they give you an anti-biotic to help you out?...I was given Cipro for 7 days...I would call them if this continues as you may have a dry socket...Take care..

Caroline
|