Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gout Forum

Gout & Pomegranate Juice

Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....
Has anyone heard about how pomegranate juice may effect gout? I am looking for information regarding its use for prevention or during an acute attack.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper kingsburggout
|

replied May 21st, 2005
I Found My Own Answer...
At the fds/cfsan site regarding the ph level of foods, pomegranate juice is 2.9-3.2 which is high acid...That would not be helpful to gout!
|

replied December 10th, 2009
The acid that causes gout is uric acid so what is the acid in pomegranate. If it does not introduce uric acid into the system which is usually the result of purine broken down from protein then at worst pomegranate should have no effect
|

replied December 10th, 2009
Experienced User
Only when uric acid in the blood exceeds the amount that the blood can hold in solution does it precipitate in the form of monosodium urate crystals, which the immune system reacts to to cause gout. Anything that makes the blood more acidic will reduce the amount of uric acid that it can hold in solution. Acidic foods that have that effect can initiate a gout attack. But, in general, diet has little impact on gout. A much bigger impact occurs from sleep apnea.
|

replied July 1st, 2012
pomegranate and gout
I was taking a pomegranate extract pill daily (1000 mg polyphenol extract). I had my first gout flare up while taking the antioxidant, the flare ups continued for atleast 6 months. I have since discontinued the Pom pills, and have not had a flare up since.
|

replied February 7th, 2013
gout
i've been having bad gout attacks for about 6 years. a year ago i started juicing fruits and vegetables that are known to reduce inflammation. i have not change my bad eating habits, so the juicing really did the trick.
i started juicing in the morning and evening for the first couple months. know i will juice about two to three times a week. inbetween juicing i will try to eat vegetables and fuits. i only had about three mild gout attacks in the past two years since juicing and eating more fruits and vegetables. i will also drink some cranberry and cherry concentrate in the evening when i don't feel like making a mess with the juicing. before i starting juicing i would take three ibuprofen or a celebrex as soon a i had a hint that the gout was coming on and it really helped if caught in time.
i juice celery,cucumber, and banana/apple to sweeten it up. i sometimes add cherry concentrate to sweeten the drink.
go on youtube and look for juicing recipes for gout.
|

replied July 19th, 2013
Thanks for briinging this up
Thanks for this discussion.
I am having a gout crisis for 5 weeks, just after starting a diet that included half glass of Pomegranate Juice daily. I checked all the changes I did lately and searched about the relation between gout and pomegranate.
I think I will stop drinking Pomegranate Juice from now on and see what happens.

This has been my longest period of gout ever, generally I have crisis that last from 3 days to 10 days, never more than that. So it may be the reason.
|