Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

What Are the Effects of Long Term Alcohol Use?

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
Hi I was wondering what the long term effects of alcohol use are?....I have a friend who drinks all the time...He is not yet classified as an alcoholic....He actually owns a few bars and restaurants and he is almost 30years old but has been drinking for at least 10 years.....Everyday he has a beer here and there....Depending who he hangs out with he can get drunk up to 2-4 times a week. When he has ppl at his house....He always serves beer.....When he dines out...He drinks wine all the time.....I would even say everyday....He is very rich and I dont know if he is doing this to live life or if he is depressed or what....

Can long term alcohol use make you depressed? Even if you have everything?.....He literally has the perfect life....But I dont know why he drinks so much...I am just so worried about his health and liver....Soemtimes he has made comments to a friend that he was depressed...I dont know why he would be?...Over a girl? I dont know why...Or is it just the alcohol?.....After his hangovers he has to sometimes take vitamin pills to make him feel better the next day....I dont understand how ppl can drink like this.....

Is alcohol really that fun? Even if you have been doing it for a long time?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 5th, 2005
Experienced User
Hello smith alcohol is never fun and it is never the answer to anything. :( your friend is probably drinking because he is depressed!!!!!!!!!
He needs help, you are rigth this does damge his liver and health. What's more it could damge his entire body...
Hangovers are difficult to deal with....Your friend needs help now and you can help him by expressing your concern and taking him to a Dr. His life is at stake. Think about it do you really want your friend to die from too much alcohol or drunk driving?! :(
get him help, he will thank you later. Take care and good luck with your freind.
|

replied July 27th, 2005
Hi
Well I quit drinking a few weeks ago because I was becoming depressed and anxious. I guess I thought I was more fun when I had a buzz, and drank out of anxiety but it only made it worse. I also work in a bar and that made even easier to be a drunk. I feel alot less depressed and healthier since I am not drinking 4 to 5 days a week! It sounds like your freind and I had the same problem we drank out of boredom and anxiety. And when people told me I had a drinking problem I became very defensive, until I realized I if I kept drinking and blacking out I would be in prison or dead. I hope your freind changes before it's too late.
|

replied August 8th, 2005
Experienced User
Hello smith alcohol is never fun

ehem. Some of the funniest times of my life have been with a couple of beers. Not drunk, and nothing criminal or causing anyone else damage but fun fun times.

Alcohol, as with most things, is fine in moderation.
|

replied August 9th, 2005
Experienced User
Alcohol is never fun? You've never been drunk before, however, alcoholism is a progressive disease. Eventually you get to the point where you don't get drunk anymore, but you have near seizures if you don't drink(after years of hard drinking). As for long term health effects, umm... You should already know that. But liver problems, stomach problems and anxiety are part of the deal. Eventually you'll add another vice to drinking, like pain pills, tranquilizers or maybe coke because alcohol loses the effect. You start out drinking a six pack to get buzzed and end up drinking a bottle of vodka a day without eating so you'll be able to even get drunk. Alcohol, unlike marijuana, is a real gateway drug. Your judgment gets out of whack and you do stuff you'd never do sober. And if your friend is getting drunk 4 times a week and is almost 30 how can you say he's not an alcoholic? There are different stages of alcoholism, I know cause i've been in rehab, aa more than once, and even went to an na meeting. He's not in highschool or college just partying and having good.
|