Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

Stomach Noises (Page 1)

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
My stomach makes really loud embarrassing noises all the time.
Its really loud and I can see it rumbling and growling
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper amy_j
|

replied April 28th, 2005
Experienced User
Stomach Noises
Please help somebody as this is really embarrassing when im anywhere quiet.
I was sleeping over at a friends a couple of weeks ago and she could hear my stomach roaring from the next room
|

replied April 28th, 2005
Experienced User
Hey amy, oh my god!! I have the same problem as you. My stomach constantly growls and groans and roars too. Its so embarrasing in the silence like you said. I wish I knew a cure but I am living with it too. Mayeb eating before sleeping helps? I don't know. Well sorry you feel this way, but you're not alone. Sorry I couldn't give you advice. Well take care.
|

replied April 28th, 2005
Experienced User
Stomach Noises
Thankyou for your reply. I know how you feel its terrible isnt it?
If you look at your tummy sometimes can you see it moving as its growling?
Because mine does that and it scares me I was wondering if anyone else had experienced it.
It doesnt just do it when im hungry or digesting it does it all the time about every 5-10 minutes and it could last up to 30 seconds. It gets really loud too.
|

replied April 28th, 2005
Experienced User
Nah I don't see it moving but I do feel it and it does get loud. I always thought it was because of my eating disorder problemes ( I don't even want to get into that) but I guess not!! Well we'll survive the embarassment together I guess. C'est la vie.
|

replied April 28th, 2005
Experienced User
Stomach Noises
Yeah lol I guess we will. Ill cope with it!!
Its just embarrassing when im in class because people look at me or ask me if im hungey!!!!
|

replied May 9th, 2005
Help Me Too!!
Help me my belly makes really loud growling noises even when im totally full, it only happens when I push my stomach in out out...And my belly can expand to make me look as if im pregnant!! Help me!
|

replied September 3rd, 2011
Me too! I don't know if there's something wrong with me!
|

replied May 9th, 2005
Experienced User
Yes mine growls if I push it or nip it too.
I think you should talk to a doctor about it if its swelling too because that could be an allergie.
Good luck
|

replied May 9th, 2005
Have you been to the doctors about yours?? Mine only makes alien noises if I move it in anyway and people always ask if im hungry!!
|

User Profile
replied May 9th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Hi there, it could be bowel sounds, ibs, and it can have something to do with an eating disorder. We are all different and I am not a Dr., if it does bother you and becomes a problem, have it checked out.
Good luck,
sandy
|

replied May 10th, 2005
Experienced User
Yes it bothers me loads, it is really embarrassing I cant even go to the cinema.
Im scared to go to the doctor though
|

replied July 23rd, 2005
I'm glad to see i'm not the only one. My stomach rumbles all the time, usually when i'm in class (it's not fun keeping a book on my belly to stop the roaring!) a lot of them are long and drawn out. And, like you, I can see my tummy's louder growls (i always feel them). I have been searching for a cure too, but haven't found one. Hope we have better luck!
|

replied November 30th, 2005
Embarrassing Noises
Obviously, i'm certainly not the only one with stomach issues. I started noticing loud noises and stomach pains about a year ago. At first it wasn't such a big deal, but it has gotten to a point where I am no longer enrolled in public school cause of the embarrassment and everyday worry of my stomach making these horrible, loud noises. Daily, I get these noises and pains which last for a long period of time. Often it feels like gas but can sometimes just feel like i'm hungry, abut the noises and pain still remain whether I have eaten a meal or not. I have been to the doctor several times and nothing has worked for me. One doctor said it could be the possibility of ibs(irratible bowel syndrome), but nothing i've taken or done seems to be working. This problem has kept me from school,cinemas, and all other quiet places, even church. If anyone has any ideas that might help with these loud noises...Plz reply! Thanks alot! :)
|

replied June 13th, 2011
Loud noises from my stomach
I am a college student and have been suffering from loud embarrassing noises coming from my stomach since January 2011. I developed a phobia of silence. At first I thought it might have something to do with anxiety, but the growling and squelches would happen when I was at home too! After I ate it was a symphony of noises! But not eating didn't help either. So, when I started my summer semester, I decided I was not going to let this issue dictate my level of sociability any longer. I started taking enzymes and it worked. I take three after every meal I eat and the stupid stomach noises are gone!!! I highly recommend digestive enzymes for this problem. I found mine online for a fraction of what they cost in the health food store (literally half the price). If you do any research on digestive enzymes (which you should) you will find that a good digestive enzyme will have: protease, peptidase, xylanase, pectinase, cellulase, invertase, glucoamylase, lipase, Protease, lactase, papain, bromelain, and others. There is even a test you can do with an enzyme product you buy to tell if it is decent. Open a capsule and sprinkle its contents on a prepared/cooked package of instant oatmeal. Within so many minutes (I forgot how long exactly), the oatmeal should be almost complete liquid. The enzymes that are working for me are by Garden of Life: Q-Zyme Ultra-Ultimate Digestive Enzyme. I hope this info helps!?!? And definitely go purchase some enzymes! Don't let this problem control you any longer! Good luck Smile
|

replied June 14th, 2011
Just curious, how long have the enzymes been working for you? and does it affect your metabolism and how much or often you eat?
|

replied November 30th, 2005
Re: Stomach Noises
Hi,

i just read your message, because i'm going through a very similar situation. I don't know what the problem is. My doctor suggested that I pay attention to what I eat, and see if certain foods make it act up more. There is the possibility that i'm lactose intolerant.

I understand the embarrassing feeling....It just roars and rumbles like it's hungry or like a big ball of gas is going to let loose (lol). I just recently had a test in my psychology class and it rumbled every 10 seconds...Everyone's head kept popping up to look and see who was doing all the grumbling. Very embarrassing!

I am actually having a consultation with a gi doctor which i'm very nervous about.....I feel too young for all this, but there's a possibility that my food isn't digesting like it's supposed to and there could be an underlying problem. If you have found out any new information please let me know so that I might have an idea.

Thanks.
|

replied January 12th, 2006
Re: Embarrassing Noises
jk89 wrote:
obviously, i'm certainly not the only one with stomach issues. I started noticing loud noises and stomach pains about a year ago. At first it wasn't such a big deal, but it has gotten to a point where I am no longer enrolled in public school cause of the embarrassment and everyday worry of my stomach making these horrible, loud noises. Daily, I get these noises and pains which last for a long period of time. Often it feels like gas but can sometimes just feel like i'm hungry, abut the noises and pain still remain whether I have eaten a meal or not. I have been to the doctor several times and nothing has worked for me. One doctor said it could be the possibility of ibs(irratible bowel syndrome), but nothing i've taken or done seems to be working. This problem has kept me from school,cinemas, and all other quiet places, even church. If anyone has any ideas that might help with these loud noises...Plz reply! Thanks alot! :)

i can relate to this so much.
Ive been skipping my english lessons in college because of the constant worry of my stomach making these noises. I take colufac [sp?] and lactulose to calm my stomach but all they seem to do is make it worse. Ive been diagnosed with ibs in the past, but its as if my doctors dont care and have given up. Everytime I go they make me feel so small, telling me im exagerating and it will ease over time. But the fact is ive suffered this since I was 11. Im now 16. Its actually ruining my life. Like above, I feel physically sick at the thought of being trapped in quiet places. I can only handle places with noise, which really sounds lame! But it drowns my stomach noises out a little. Places like the cinema, sleepovers etc cause me great worry. I really do need help but im just so embarassed about it! Ive told my mum but she really doesnt full understand the pressure I suffer everyday at college. I really want to drop out. But if I did that i'd have to get a job, which would cause me huge embarassment yet again because of the noises. I just wish I was normal.
Any help would be so greatly appreciated. I always thought I was the only one who suffered with this, thanks for sharing your experience :)
|

replied January 13th, 2006
Just Want to Be Normal........
I was looking for answers to the same problems, which led me here to this forum. It makes me feel a little better knowing that I am not the only one who suffers from this problem. This problem is just about taking over my life. I'm 27 years old and I started having this problem about 2 years ago. I used to party/drink alot, then I met my current girlfriend and I cut down on most of the drinking. Thats when it started. At work, in a quiet room during meetings. The same meetings that I always tried so hard to extend so I wouldn't have to work, I was now missing them or in a hurry to get back out to work so that I wouldnt have to be in a situation where people would hear my stomach and the loud noises coming from it. I later got a new job at sbc, during my 10 week training, I was confined to a small room with of about 7 people and had to constantly ask if I could turn on the fan next to me to mask the sounds my stomach made throughout the day. I quit after the training course, for other reasons. Shortly thereafter I applied for a job with usps ( united states postal service). I was petrified of taking any exams that they asked me to. I became extremely nervous before I took the exam, it was quite possibly the worst feeling ever. Just not wanting to be in a situation where I would embarass myself with my rediculous stomach noises. Needless to say I got the job. I always excelled in testing, but with my new problem, it often distracted me and made it more difficult for me to concentrate. I dreaded my training classes at the post office. The room was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. 6-8 hours a day, it was literally torcher for me. I eventually missed one day because of "my stomach problem". One important day. I had to make this test day up about 3 months later and when that day came, I was so terrified that I missed it again. They were upset with me and sent me to a different shift, graveyard shift. I ended up quitting a really great job that I loved. I sit here now unemployed at 27, dying to go back to college but at the same time, worried about the embarassment I will face in hour long classes. As I type this, my stomach churns away. I have a tought time even going to a movie theater, going to my girlfriends place to watch movies with her and her family, or going with her to church. I am sometimes afraid to even apply for a job. Part of me says "who cares what other people think". The other part of me remembers the reaction I got the last time my stomach went crazy in a quiet public place. Some people looked at me like I was passing gas, some laughed. Its horrible. Ive tried over the counter ibs meds, pepto bismol (extra strength actually helps, but who wants to carry a bottle of pepto in their pocket to work during training for the post office? I do!!), i've tried rolaids, anti diarrheal like immodium ad, nothing really works on a consistent basis. I am currently on a 21 day digestive health program I purchased at a local gnc store. I hope that a colon cleanse or something similar will cure this . People beg me to go back to school because I have so much potential. I have disappointed my father, and I often feel depressed and generally, like a loser. I know my girlfriend is trying to be understanding but she sometimes asks me "why cant you just come with me to church?" and I reply "you know how I feel about "my problem"!!" and we sometimes get into an argument about it. Its wierd to think that something like this can take over your life, but it does, and apparently I am not the only one. So what can we do?? :(
|

replied January 14th, 2006
Stomach Noises
I have suffered from this for nearly 5 years, and most of the time I do a good job of hiding it, but im finding as my life is changing its getting harder and harder. Normally im fine until around 6 oclock, where it feels like my insides just fill with air, and as it moves around it makes the most embarrassing noises. They only go away when they eventually make their way out (if you know what I mean!) about 4 hours later. I live with 4 of my friends, and im scared im going to have to tell them. Ive only told my boyfriend, who says its normal and everyone gets it, but he doesnt seem to understand. I told my doctor who said I probably had ibs, but I dont need to go to the loo a lot, its just the gas.

The research I have done basically all says you need to find out what foods are causing this. It means you have to be disciplined with your diet, which is hard because when I have lectures all day and I need to buy lunch or take it with me I cant take something that has no dairy, no wheat, no beans etc very easily.

I am also going to try probiotics, maybe my good bacteria in my gut are low or something.

If anyone has any suggestions what the next step is, or what food seems to be ok to eat id love to hear it!
|

replied January 24th, 2006
Noises
Oh yeah...Tell me about it. Weird tummy noises > embarrassing!! The worst thing is that it always seems to happen in quiet places!

I've been wondering what to do about it...The funny thing is that I moved to the uk 4 months ago, and that's about when the noises began...I've been to my gp about it, who made me do a couple of blood tests and stuff, but everything's normal...

It's worrying, and awfully embarrassing...Its so loud!

Does anyone in here have any suggestions or wotever on how to get rid of 'em?

It's nice to know im not the only one who's tummy makes weird noises :)

cheers!
|

replied January 29th, 2006
Thank God
I thought I was a huge freak for worrying about my stomach noises. My stomach actually doesn't make noises that often, but the more worried I get that it will make noises, the more noises it makes. It's really embarrassing and i've missed a lot of school because i'm so worried it'll be noisy. I've been to a digestive doctor but nothing was found to be wrong with me. I got so worried about the noises that I made my stomach hurt. My boyfriend thinks I need to get over it, but I just can't. He doesn't understand.
|

replied April 11th, 2011
Noises in stomach
Omg im like that! I find if im not thinking/worrying about it then it doesnt happen. But if say im in a silent ..situation, i start to think about it hoping it doesnt happen and then i start to feel it build up and it usually happens!!
It's been going on for at least 3 years now, its so awful. Did anyone find a cure yet!
|

replied February 7th, 2006
I'm so glad i've found other people with the same problem, although I wouldn't wish it on anyone, it's just so embarrasing, I get nervous easily and it started 2 years ago too during my exam period and it's just got worse.

It's always worse in quiet places because I get nervous about it happening and it gets worse the more it happens just like you anxietygirlie.

I always make sure i've eaten before going into lectures and classes, but it doesn't even matter if i'm hungry or not.

I thought it might have started cause I had an eating disorder 2 years ago but i'm ok now, but it still happens, I get so embarrased and try to pass it off as hunger. I'm nervous enough as it is, but this is making me worse, I think i'm gonna have to see a doctor about it, I don't get stomach pains anymore but I did suffer with them last year quite a lot.

I hope sometime can be done about them x
|
Quick Reply