Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Possible Hernia??

I am a 29 yr old female--healthy. I recently had direct hernia surgery for an ingiunal hernia that was never there. My symtoms started a yr ago with a weird tugging sensation that has now progressed into a visible lump that comes and goes. This is the weird part. I only feel it when I am digesting food in the evening. It moves up and down with the peristalsis of the intestines, I don't need to push it back nor can I force it to happen by coughing or any of the other tricks they've tried. It rises ever so slightly so it is visible a couple millimeters.It feels fairly hard almost like it is still under the muscle?? The surgeon said he ran a couple stitches but really didn't see a visible hole. About 2 days post op I noticed that it was there, the same spot, same feeling. I have been referred to another surgeon who is recommending using the scope the check things out. I have had an ultrasound that checked out ok. He is wondering it maybe my intestines have come away from the pelvic area and are hiding over on the right side, adhered to something. It hurts to push there and I feel it is a little higher up than the inuignal canal--almost over toward my hip but below the belly button. Is anyone familiar with a spigelian hernia (semilunar hernia)? Or has anyone ever had these symptoms? My regular doctor has suggested maybe I am feeling my small intestine emptying out. But why now, i'm slim but not crazy skinny!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 28th, 2005
What a hard one to try and answer. Iam in the medical proffesion but to make any sort of presumption without out actually seeing this possible hernia is hard. Right, it sounds like the docs and surgeons have kept you well informed and performed the suitable tests that are needed, I would certainly continue to ask your doctor for more help on this issue and hopefully find a possible solution, very sorry I couldnt help much more, its a tricky one this, any more questions please ask and i'll ask at my work.Best of luck.
|

replied July 28th, 2005
I've since opted to leave it alone. The surgeon felt there was a 40% chance he might beable to see what was going on with the scope. He felt that my intestines have adhered to this area and anytime you go in and fix something it can cause more problems with scar tissue. I do get occassional pain in the area if I over exert myself. But mostly I just feel a lump every night when my body is digesting things. It has been suggested that when I have a baby it may make things better. It will cause things to stretch and move and it may fix itself. So for now I don't really know what to call it and if it gets worse I am to go back to the doctor. Thanks for your input.
|

replied April 15th, 2006
Similar Symptoms
Just came across this site when searching for hernias. For about 2-2-1/2 yrs now, I have had ovarian cysts on the right side. I also have a pressure in the ovary area, but also sacroiliac and hip pain and sciatica. I am 28 and too young to have to deal with sciatica!! I remember I fell really hard snowboarding a couple years ago and figured I put the si out of joint. I have also noticed that when i'm digesting, I get a lump in the lower right abdomen like you describe, bt. What do you think?? 8)
|

replied April 15th, 2006
Its been about 2 yrs now that I have had the bulging. Still only comes when I eat (digest) I haven't found it to change at all. Feels almost like a sausage trapped under the muscle when I can feel it. It appears about 1 inch over from my right hip and 2 inches above my pubic hairline I have actually adjusted my eating habits so I don't get as full in the evenings and it seems to help. Not really much pain with it, just feels uncomfortable and wierd. I haven't had any other problems associated with it so not sure it is similar to what you are feeling. When I had an ultrasound they couldn't find anything strange so I have just decided to live with it. We have actually been trying for a baby for the past 7 months and I have had some issues with missing periods which is funny that you mentioned ovarian cysts. Am waiting right now to see if my "missing in action" period comes. If not its time to go back to the doctor and have her check other things. Don't know if this helps you at all. I am hoping it will just fix itself one day. Since it doesn't hamper my lifestyle and is only there sometimes during the day I figured i'd rather not have any surgery again.
|

User Profile
replied April 15th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
You do not have to be old to have a sciatica nerve problem just like arthritis, their is also such a thing called ibs and a hyatal(sp) hernia which happens when you have a difficult time swallowing food due to the point that their is a little flapper like type thing their that will not open but I am not a dr but just a few suggestions.
When the dr runs the test either down your throat or up your rectum, I believe it is called a colonoscopy or an upper or a lower g.I. Can help rule out a lot of possibilities. A few more suggestions.
The best to you all!
|