Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Bottom Teeth Gum Recession

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
I have had receding gums over the past two years because of smokeless tobacco, and I never went to a dentist because I was embarassed about it, which I now know was a bad idea. It has become very bad, to the point where my bottom two front teeth are completely exposed in the back, they aren't quite to that point in the front. I also might mention that I am only 19, an extremely unfortunate age for this to happen to me. Small pieces of my bottom front two teeth have broken off of the exposed bottom of the tooth while attempting to floss a while ago, this I am pretty worried about. I am going to see a dentist immediately because I am worried about my teeth falling out. I know I am going to need skin grafting to cover my teeth back up, but is there anything to be done about the broken teeth? My teeth don't really hurt at all, they are only slightly sensitive and it just feels uncomfortable having my gums completely away from my bottom two teeth in the back.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 28th, 2005
You definately need to have things checked out by a dentist. They will likely want to check the teeth for decay, take some xrays,make sure the nerves in the teeth are healthy. Depending on the extent of whats fractured off the teeth they will recommend treatment, possibly crowns, if the nerves in the teeth are compromised possibly root canals. Usually teeth are salvageable, but it can get involved and expensive. (hopefully the broken pieces are minor and will not require this) when people have severe recession grafting is recommended. However another concern will be the supporting bone around the teeth. I hope you have are able to stop your tabacco habit. There is a risk of mouth cancer as you proably know and you are so young! I have seen the effects and it is not pretty. Don't be afraid to get things checked out. At least that way you will know what needs to be done. Don't be embarrassed either, and be honest with them about the tobacco it is important for them to check the health of your tissues as well.
|
Did you find this post helpful?