Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Appendix and Appendicitis Forum

Appendectomy Scar

Must Read
How do you know if abdominal pain is caused by appendicitis or not? First know where to locate the appendix in your body. Learn more here....
Classic symptoms of appendicitis include pain in the center of the abdomen that moves down and to the right. Learn more about signs and symptoms of appendix pr...
Understand how to diagnose appendicitis and abdominal pain correctly. Appendicitis may be the cause of your discomfort but symptoms vary. Learn more now. ...
My girlfriend have a scar on the middle lower abdomen, just below the navel and above the pubic area. She told me she had appendectomy when she was 19 years old. But what I know is that appendectomy is being done in the lower right abdomen, in the area of the appendix. Is this possible?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 20th, 2005
Anonymous
Reply/appendix Scars
Yes, appendectomy scars will be above the pubic hair, below the belly button, it basically all depends on the surgeon. I have three appendectomy scars, and they are not in the appendix area. One is tright below the belly button, the other is right above the pubic hairline in the middle and the last one is over to the left of the bellybutton/pubic hair in th emiddle. So it all depends on the surgeon. Hope that helps?
|

replied January 6th, 2013
What are the scars you get from appendix surgery?

The appendix can usually be removed laparoscopically or through small incisions and the use of cameras. In this case, you will have 3 small incisions, each about 1-2 cm on your abdomen. Your surgeon will put the camera through your belly button and thus the scars here are usually well hidden in the belly button. Two small incisions will be made - one usually on the left side of the abdomen and one a couple of inches below your belly button in the middle of your abdomen.

If your appendix can not be removed safely via the small incisions and cameras, your surgeon will have to make an incision over the appendix to remove it. The incision will be in the right lower quadrant of your abdomen and usually be about 5-8 cm in length.
|

replied January 18th, 2009
Appendectomy scar
Yes the location of the app incision (and scar) depends on many things. It depends on intensity of the symptoms ( whether the apendix can be ruptured), tha aproximate location of the app, the thickness of subcutaneous fat and preferences of the surgeon. For examople I have a vertical scar that begins somewhat on the right from the navel, but working in the hospital I`1ve seen many diifferent app scars.
|

replied January 23rd, 2009
Appendectomy scar
I have just had my appendix out and my scar is in the middle from my belly button down.
|

replied May 4th, 2010
I know someone with a scar from their belly button which then leads down to the right side for at least 20cm.... WHAT IS IT??!
|

replied September 18th, 2011
yes that is normal. i had my appendix taken out about 8 months ago, and i still have scars, i'm not sure if it's normal to still have scars. my surgeon told me they'd go away by summer & it's september now.. liars.
|

replied March 7th, 2012
Appendectomy scar
I had my appendix out 3 weeks ago.. I was feeling it the other day and it feels really hard on the inside. Is that normal???
|