Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Getting Pregnant Forum

Possible to Get Pregnant a Week Before Your Period? (Page 1)

Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
I had sex with my ex-fiance a week before I was supposed to get my period. Two weeks later the hpt says positive, meaning i'm pregnant. The problem is, I had a one night stand a week before I got back together with my ex. I used a condom with the one night stand though, and I didn't use one with my ex. I had the one night stand two weeks before my period (when you'd think i'd be ovulating). I'm really nervous now, because I hope that my ex is the father. I haven't told him I was with someone else, because I can't bare the thought of losing him again. What do I do!? I guess I will find out how old the fetus is when I go to the doctor. But is it possible I got pregnant a week before my period? I just got off the pill in feb, so I don't even know what my regular cycle is...So it's possible I was ovulating the night I was with my ex, right?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper jennay1111
|

User Profile
replied April 20th, 2005
Experienced User
Well is may be possible.. But chances are you ovulated a little earlier. Most women who have pretty normal cycles ovulate about 2 weeks before their period is due. So something may have gotten off track and you ovulated early.. But you should be careful and realize that is you slept with the other guy about a week before that... Then he might be the dad...
Anyways good luck.. I hope everything turns out good!
|

replied April 20th, 2005
Yeah that's true, but I don't know how long my cycle is, because I have been on birth control for the past 5 years and I only got off it a month before I got pregnant. Plus I used a condom with the other guy. :-/ would I have ovulated late then? Instead of two weeks before it, I would have ovulated a week later (one week before my period), right? I'm in denial I think. :(
|

User Profile
replied April 20th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
A condom is not 100% safe b/c. Beware of the one-night stands, they can be deadly. Sometimes it can take more than one month for b/c to get completely out of your system.
Good luck!
Sandy
|

replied April 20th, 2005
Experienced User
innchik18 wrote:
well is may be possible.. But chances are you ovulated a little earlier. Most women who have pretty normal cycles ovulate about 2 weeks before their period is due. So something may have gotten off track and you ovulated early.. But you should be careful and realize that is you slept with the other guy about a week before that... Then he might be the dad...

Anyways good luck.. I hope everything turns out good!
so if have sex a week to weeks before your period you still have your period.. I thought your period stops once you get pregnant why would she have a period, if she got pregnant i'm confused
|

replied April 20th, 2005
Experienced User
sandyallen wrote:
a condom is not 100% safe b/c. Beware of the one-night stands, they can be deadly. Sometimes it can take more than one month for b/c to get completely out of your system.

Good luck!

Sandy
i have a problem I hope you can help me? Ok I had protected intercorse on dec. 17th. I started my period 2 days later on the 19th. I had unprotected intercorse on the 19 and the 20 (while on my period) I didn't have intercorse agian until dec 31 jan1 and 2nd.. (unprotected and my bf came in me every time) on jan. 14 I found out I was pregnant.. Well my Dr. Told me the I most likley concieved on dec.31 on feb.15 she went to check the babies heart beat on a monitor i'm assuming an ultrasound machine then she asked me if I wanted a picture. The picture said my baby was 7weeks and 6 days which I counted back and it landed on dec.22nd.. (which is confusing) well the reason i'm worried is b/c when had intercorse on the 17th of dec. It was w/ my ex.. Me and my boyfriend now were split up at the time.. What do you think the chances of me getting pregnant that day was. (the condom didn't break as far as I know) i'm really confused about this whole how far along I am thing.. My Dr. Just confuses me more when I ask her questions. I don't even think she really listening to what i'm saying.. Any advise will help.. What do you think? What would you do? Thank you so much
|

replied April 21st, 2005
Wow you are in the same situation as me it sounds like. Although I haven't gotten an ultrasound yet...Too early. I didn't think the condom broke for me, and chances are it didn't for either of us, I mean come on...Right?! You would have known if it broke, and the guy would have known and freaked. As far as how far along you are...Don't they count from the day of your last period before you got pregnant? They say by the time you conceive you are already two weeks pregnant. Besides, it's only off a week or so, as exact as ultrasounds are, you never really know the exact date/week/time you conceived your baby or how old it is to the day...I don't think so anyway.
As for my one night stand, as far as i'm concerened it didn't happen. Yes condoms aren't 100% effective, but I mean they are like 97%, plus a week later I had unprotected sex twice in one night. Just because it was a week before my period's due, I think there's more of a probability that I got pregnant that night (without the condom) then I did the night I used the condom.
Oh, and I never got my period, I don't know how that got confused....
|

replied April 21st, 2005
Experienced User
jennay1111 wrote:
wow you are in the same situation as me it sounds like. Although I haven't gotten an ultrasound yet...Too early. I didn't think the condom broke for me, and chances are it didn't for either of us, I mean come on...Right?! You would have known if it broke, and the guy would have known and freaked. As far as how far along you are...Don't they count from the day of your last period before you got pregnant? They say by the time you conceive you are already two weeks pregnant. Besides, it's only off a week or so, as exact as ultrasounds are, you never really know the exact date/week/time you conceived your baby or how old it is to the day...I don't think so anyway.
As for my one night stand, as far as i'm concerened it didn't happen. Yes condoms aren't 100% effective, but I mean they are like 97%, plus a week later I had unprotected sex twice in one night. Just because it was a week before my period's due, I think there's more of a probability that I got pregnant that night (without the condom) then I did the night I used the condom.

Oh, and I never got my period, I don't know how that got confused....
so you don't think I got pregnant on the 17th when I used a condom.. I hope not, what do you mean you are already 2 weeks pregnant when you concieve.. Yeah I agree with you I think it's more likely you got pregnant the night with out the condom.. Try not to worry to much about .. Keep me posted on everything? Let me know when you have your ultrasound
|

replied April 21st, 2005
See, I worry about my situation, because I had the protected sex two weeks before my period, and the unprotected sex one week before my period. They say you ovulate two weeks before, but they also say that's the average women, but each women is different. I guess i'm just trying to convince myself that my ex is the dad. Therefore i'm not going to worry about it...He is and that's that. He's ready to be the dad. :)

anyway, webmd.Com is a good website, that's where I got the information about already being two weeks pregnant when you conceive. Hope this helps! :)

table 14.1: on the grow

week developmental highlights

3 on the day of conception, your ovum and your partner's sperm unite to form a barely visible single cell known as a zygote. It takes the zygote the better part of a week to make the journey to your uterus. Because pregnancy is typically dated in relation to the woman's last menstrual period (lmp), you're already two weeks' pregnant by the time you actually conceive.

4 during the fourth week of pregnancy (approximately one week after conception), the tiny cell ball (.004 of an inch) implants itself in the lining of your uterus. It then divides into two parts, which will ultimately become the placenta and the embryo. By the end of this week, amniotic fluid will begin to form.

5 at the start of this week, the embryo is as large as an apple seed, and the beginnings of its major organs are present.

6 the embryo is now approximately 1/4-inch long. Its heart—which is no larger than a poppy seed—has begun to beat, and other major organs such as the kidneys and the liver have begun to develop. The neural tube, which connects the brain and the spinal cord, closes.

7 the embryo is now about 1/2-inch long about the size of a kidney bean. At this stage of development,its head is much larger than the rest of its body. This is because of the rapid brain growth that has been occurring. The embryo has visible nostrils, lips, and tongue, and the buds of its first teeth are present. The heart has four clearly recognizable chambers. The limb buds have grown into arms and legs, but the hands and feet are mere ridges.

8 the fetus is now 11/4 inches long—the size of a large grape. It has distinct, slightly webbed fingers and toes, and its veins are clearly visible through its parchment-like skin. The teeth, palate, and larynx are beginning to form, and the ears are starting to assume a more human shape.

9 the fetus continues to grow, and its organs, muscles, and nerves start to function. Sometime during week nine, it begins to make its first spontaneous movements. You won't be able to feel these movements yet, of course, because the fetus is so tiny and rarely comes into contact with the uterine wall.

10 the fetus now weighs about 1/3 of an ounce. By the end of week 10, the umbilical cord is fully formed and blood is circulating along its arteries and veins. The chorionic villi are growing and maturing over the area of implantation, and they will eventually become part of the placenta. If the fetus is a boy, this is the week when his scrotum will form.

11 the fetus is now about two inches long and weighs about half an ounce. Its head is approximately half of its length. The ovaries or testicles are fully formed and the external genitalia are developing; but it's still too early to distinguish the sex of the fetus.

12 the fetus is now about 21/2 inches long and is fully formed. During the second and third trimesters, it will grow and mature. The urine produced by the fetus's kidneys is excreted into the amniotic fluid. (don't worry; the urine is sterile and is carried away as the fluid is replaced.) your baby's face is now properly formed and eyelids are present. The umbilical cord has started to circulate blood between the embryo and the placenta.

13 the fetus is now about three inches long and weighs about 11/2 ounces. Its internal organs are up and running: the liver is manufacturing bile, and the kidneys are secreting urine into the bladder. This is the week when its intestines migrate from the umbilical cord to the abdomen. The fetus has already acquired some reflexes, and its eyes and ears have almost assumed their permanent positions.

14 by the end of week 14—the last week of the first trimester—the fetus is 31/2 inches long and weighs up to two ounces. Its hands are functional and it is able to "breathe" amniotic fluid in and out of its lungs. The internal organs are fully formed, although the lungs, liver, kidney, and intestine will continue to grow and mature.
|

replied April 21st, 2005
Experienced User
Oh boy you girls are in a real pickle. Hopefully I can help you out a little bit. Katie...Your doctor will most likely count from the last period you have, that is prob why it counted back to dec. 22. This doesn't mean you actually got pregnant on this day. For example, I know the exact day I got pregnant because there was only 1 day out of my whole cycle I had sex, but the date that my doctor gives me shows that I got pregnant the week after my period because he is taking into consideration a 28 day cycle and I am really 35 days. Which means its a week off. Do you understand? So your doctor was most likely correct when she said you conceived on dec. 31 or 1st or 2nd. Because that would be the normal length of time to be fertile. Hope that is what you wanted to hear.

Jennay... It is possible for you to have gotten pregnant the week before your period was due. It all comes down to what your luteal phase is. And since you probably haven't been tracking your cycle, it is hard to figure out when you exactly ovulated unless you were testing for it or temping to find the adjustment in temps. I say it is possible though because my luteal phase was very short which made me ovulate later than earlier. I actually ovulated about a week later than what I would have if I was like they say "an average woman". How many days did you have in your cycles after you got off your bc pills? I was a regular 28 day when I was on mine but when I got off and my body regulated it changed. Also, like I told katie doctors usually set your conceive date to when you had your last period. (which is why they go by 40 weeks but you are usually full term before then.) this would make it impossible to go by the date they say you are to discover when you conceived, however if you are worried about it (as I can tell you are) you should tell your ob about what your worried about and see if she/he can help you to perhaps pinpoint the date you conceived.
Hope this helps you both. Take care all.
|

replied April 21st, 2005
Oooh yes, that helped a lot thank you very much!! I guess I just wanted to hear that it happened to someone else (ovulating at a different time than the "average woman"). It makes sense too, what you said about the date the doctor tells you and when you think you've conceived. Sigh :) i'm going tomorrow for my first appointment, so I don't think they'll be able to give me any dates or anything tomorrow, but when I go back for my ultrasound i'll know more. Thanks again! I'm so glad for this forum, because it really helps people who feel they have no one else to talk to. :)
|

replied April 21st, 2005
Experienced User
If you ever need to talk about something feel free to pm me. I'll be happy to help out. Also, it couldn't hurt to at least mention what your worried about to your doctor. They won't judge you and they will do there best to ease your worries. It's not good to stress about something especially when your expecting a little one. Take care and I hope everything works out. :)
|

replied April 26th, 2011
Hi! Maybe you can help me out. I got pregnant a few days before my period. My husband and I already have a beautiful little by and would love a girl. Is it possible that I could have?
|

replied April 26th, 2011
Hi! Maybe you can help me out. I got pregnant a few days before my period. My husband and I already have a beautiful little by and would love a girl. Is it possible that I could have?
|

replied February 23rd, 2009
pregnancey and the ring
If you are about to get your period in a week and had sex, will putting in the ring prevent pregnancey?
|

replied August 28th, 2009
can you get pregnant a week before your period.?
i have a question... i want to kno if i can get pregnant a week before my period.. and can you be pregnant and still get your period..? because my mother when she was pregnant thats wat happened to her.. she was pregnant and still had her period for about a couple of months more... so im really scared... plz some answer me.. i need to kno..
|

replied December 20th, 2009
can you get pregnant a week before your period
i had sex last sun and my period is suppose to be here fri but my stomach and my back have been hurting really bad like i have my period
|

replied February 11th, 2010
I need answers please.
I have a question. I had sex with my fiance 4 times unprotected(although we are trying to have a baby) when my period was in 7-10 days, is it possible to still have ur period knowing you could still be pregnant. I still haven't got my period I have 3 days left. Its hard to tell when I'm ovulating it's different every month, like sometimes its right after my period, in the middle and right before i get my period. When you ovulate you get a discharge right? Well I'm not sure when he ejaculated and it would stay in me for a while but when I would get up I would have a discharge, is that his or my discharge?
|

replied May 20th, 2010
my last period was april 16th, i had a one night stand on the 28th but on may 5th i had bad cramping like when i ovulate and then i had unprotected sex with my ex on may 8th and he didnt pull out. i took a hpt on the 13th and the 14 and they were both positive but very faint lines, how can i tell if i got pregnant by the one night stand or my ex??????????? HELP ME!!!!
|

replied May 28th, 2010
is it possiblefor girl to get pregnant a week before her period?
hello,,im a guy,,im just thinking,,i got a 1 night stand last may 21, and now i think that girl is pregnant,,but, im just want to ask,,if she is pregnant and her last menstruation according to her is on april 23,,is it possible that i am the father or is it someone else?? because is it to early for her ovulation,,to start this week,,and she should have her menstrual flow,,
|

replied June 10th, 2010
there i sprobably a big chance that it isnt...you said one night stand? correct?........that means she has no class or self respect.
|

replied November 7th, 2010
hellpp
help me girls....i had a date some spirm get in a lil bit...today is 7 novemebr her period is in 14 novemeber will she get pregnant?????????????plz reply im lostttt
|

replied October 3rd, 2012
pregnant issue
PLEASE I HAVE A QUESTION TO ASK, I ALWAYS SEE MY PERIOD ON EVERY 20TH OF EACH MONTH, COULD IT BE POSSIBLE TO GET PREGNANT A WEEK BEFORE MY PERIOD/ PLEASE HELP, THANKS
|
12 >>