Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Insect Bites Forum

Mystery Bruise/lump On Back of Hand...insect Bite?

Must Read
Insect bites can be difficult to identify. Learn why the body reacts to insect bites, and which types of insects cause which kinds of illnesses here....
Were you bitten by a stinging or biting or bloodsucking insect? We review the most common bites humans get, plus info on who is most at risk of insect bites....
What are some of the signs of a serious insect bite? When do you need help? Learn to identify types of insect bites and know when they are serious....
Hi people.
Last week I noticed a painful area on the back of my left hand. I thought nothing of it until the next few days, the pain was still there, only I could also see what looked like a needle/pin prick mark or insect bite mark. Now, I havent had injections in my hand recently so its not that, which is what leads me to believe its some kind of insect bite. Currently there is a painful bump/lump/swelling about the size of a small pea width-wise, but its not very raised, and around it is a bruise about 1.5 inches in diameter. Does this sound like an insect bite or something else perhaps? Its kind of annoying me now so I thought I wud ask you guys your opinions.

Thanks

==========
stuart
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 21st, 2005
I Think I Can Help
Your description does sound like an insect bite but because you said there was a bruise around it then it may not be. I would use an ointment on it for a few days if you havnt already and see if that clears it up. If it doesnt then I would see a skin doctor. You never know you could have been stung by a wasp or something while you were asleep but that isnt likely... You never know though. But anyways try a cream on your soar and if it doesnt clear up then I would definetly let a doctor look at your hand. I hope this helps and good luck.
|

replied September 1st, 2008
mystery bite with bruise
strangely enough 2 days ago was digging up part of my drive and dumping rubble down the garden. now i have a small pea sized lump with 2 black dots in the middle and a huge bruise around it?????? how is the other bien bruised bite on stuart.
|

replied January 1st, 2009
Same mark!!
OOO i have the exact same thing i'm not even kidding i have something that looks as though it is an insect bite on the back of my left hand its slightly raised and yesterday when i noticed it it was really red and looked horribley raw, but today it has just became a lump and a bruise. but there is another mark below it too but with no puncture mark,

where as on the lump there is too. i panicked and thought it was something serious and i still cant find any info on marks like these, the puncture wound is dark too. i think it must be some kind on gnat, or mosquito. only something small could make that smaller mark,

i've had mine fore two days now and its beginning to swell a bit bigger each day erm do you think i should see someone. i used a healing cream for skin complaints on it but that really didnt have any effect to be honest. i'll try looking through some more sites and if i find anything i'll leave another comement.
|

replied March 3rd, 2009
bruising
In response to the bruising, I’ve been using this stuff on my kids for a while that’s been working great. They both play soccer so they get cuts and bruises on their legs often, not to mention they’re just generally rough when they play. I was reffered to this stuff called bruiseMD (b r u I s e m d . c o m) by another mother at school. The ingredients are all natural and it works quickly so it’s a great bruise remedy. Hope that helps!
|

replied July 12th, 2009
I think I'm in the same boat...
i have the exact same thing but on my leg! there's a small red dot (similar to that of a needle mark) with a darker reddish circle around it, which is slightly raised. There's a bruise that surrounds that, but it's not raised. I haven't been hit in the leg recently and I can't figure out what it is! I tried shaving over it and running hot water on it and it KILLED! I'm beginning to get a bit worried Sad I hope you have luck figuring out what's wrong!
|

replied July 21st, 2009
Yep, I have the same thing on my right arm. It is a pimple-size raised bump with a bright red dot in the middle and all the way around it is a dark bruise. It doesnt hurt, just feels uncomfortable if I press on it. No answers to this mysterious bump yet????????
|

replied June 27th, 2010
I have the same thing, on my right inside of the wrist, looks like a small bite in the center and is a bit tender, and now terrible bruising and swelling all around it, it now the size of a quarter??? no idea
|

replied July 25th, 2010
Definitely a Mosquito... red dot with Bruise
My wife has the same thing on her forearm... a red dot surrounded by a bruise the size of a quarter. We were outside in Maine and she saw it was a somewhat big mosquito for sure that did it... I was more worried that the bruise may have been a symptom other than a regular bite... I was looked on several websites and it seems to be fairly common and does not mean much other than she is sensitive to that type of mosquito. We are back in NY so hope there is no more issues...
|

replied October 5th, 2010
Bites with bruising
I have several of these bites on my thighs & upper arm. I was sitting on the ground in a hunting blind & thought maybe I was bit by one of the dozens of spiders we saw crawling around. I have never seen a bite that bruised around the area. It had me very worried until I looked on the internet and saw it to be quite common. It itches like hell though!
|

replied March 3rd, 2012
spider bite
I have a red bite mark that resembles a pimple but with a redish area around it. Ive done some research and im sure its a BROWN RECLUSE. These specific spiders bite you with a neuro-toxin along with their posion. That way you do not feel it when they bite you. After that their venom basicaly eats a hole in your skin. The longer you let it go the worse it will get. Now at work today my boss said thats what it looked like, because he had one himself. His remedy to treating the bite is to cut or scrape the center dot open. Then take a bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide and hold it over the wound. The longer you hold it there, the better. Thats all of my knowledge on this subject, hope i was help to many!
|

replied November 16th, 2013
I have a lump on the inside of my forearm, I felt a sharp pain like a hair being pulled out, a oblong lump about 1" by 2" appeared straight away but no sign of a hole, when touched it felt like it had been scalded, next day there was a large bruise the lump as gone down but the bruising as got lager and covers most of my inner forearm. any ideas.
|

replied December 7th, 2013
12-06-201312-06-2013hello I have had this condition for over a year going on two. I had the same symptoms in the beginning with red bumps in random places, itching mostly during the night. But it progressively got worst. The bumps became pancake sized welts that became black and blue because the swelling was so severe. Over the course of time I learn ed that I was being infested with some unseen skin parasite. My skin started webbing and a few toes on my oot webbed. I started getting patches of rashes that itched like crazy my scalp had constant crawling and so did my skin. Over time I have used lots of stinky menthol and lavender products. Cut my hair and have stopped sleeping in a bed altogether. This thing is a constant war,i have less discomfort now and have kind of gotten an understanding of how they operate. Everyday is a fight for my skin and my sanity. I now believe this parasite is mold motivated. This is a very very short version of my story if anyone has questions for me please ask . This is a battle and you may have to fight for months or years so be

Post A CommPost A Comm
|