Medical Questions > Mental Health > Self Injury Forum

How to Hide Scars (Page 1)

Must Read
Minor and more serious burns account for over 2 million doctor visits each year. But what is a burn? And what happens to the skin when it gets burned?...
Why are children at risk of burns? And what agents can cause the skin to burn? More on causes of skin burns and risk factors you can avoid here....
When should you seek medical help for a skin burn? We review common symptoms of burned skin as well as symptoms of airway burns here....
I used to cut myself for a very short while and I hated it. It didn't help me at all and I quit but now how do I get rid of scars? I don't want to wear sweaters all the time, its summer and i'm dying. Also I am only a teen so I can't get my hands on any medication without my parents finding out (they are not even aware of what cutting is, they don't know what is means or anything). Any home remedies will be appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ElvinaMay
|

replied April 18th, 2005
Experienced User
I Know Something You Can Use
Hey hun! How are you? Listen I have just started working in the body shop and today I was shown a product that can help get rid of scars and make them less noticable. I will check the name of it tomorrow and let you know ok. I will tell you the price as well and you will be able to buy it yourself k. By the way thank you for your post the other day you were very kind to write to me, times are hard right now but I am surviving. I hope you are well, keep well and write to me soon to let me know how you are ok.

Jenny
|

replied April 30th, 2005
I have lots of scars but haven't tried to make them disapear, though i've been told vitamin e helps - you don't need your parents for that I don't belive just go to the drug store and pic up the vitamins. They're liquid capsuls that you break open and rub the stuff on your scars. It takes a while of doing this for it to start working, but I heard it helps.
~dino
|

User Profile
replied August 18th, 2009
Experienced User
just tell people ur cat did it lol
|

replied April 8th, 2011
ow
i did that, but my mate said, wow that must of hurt" and my other mate said "what? on both wrists? 14 times?" and i was like".....erm.......yes?" and now im in troiuble because she told the school nurse who told my year leader who told my head teacher who told my dad who told my mum and now im in big trouble:(
|

replied May 20th, 2011
o wow sorry. Howed that go? i had to get pills when they figured it out.
|

replied May 22nd, 2011
well, they didnt give me pills, but everybodys acting all special around me, like paying loads of attention on me, its realy awkward, hate it. i hope they dont pescribe pills for me, id hate every minite of it Sad
|

replied May 2nd, 2012
that happened to me wen my nurse found out she told my scool phyc who told my mum who told my dad and his girlfriend and its been 4 years since then(started in yr 8 now in yr 12) and they're all still bein careful round me tho they dont no i still do it Sad
|

replied May 20th, 2011
thats what i did.
|

User Profile
replied January 28th, 2011
im 15 and i have cut for the past three years. i wear longsleves or sweaters to cover up the scars, cuz of them being REALLY bad. but ya id say long T-shits (thin material for when it's warm out) and sweaters are probably your best bet.
|

replied April 9th, 2011
hiding scars
mines a trick i borrowed off the daddy loves me too much type girls
trip over heaps. get a rep for being clumsy. then start "spraining" ur wrists. no - one questions a bandage if they think theres a decent excuse for it.

wear lots of bangles - right up ur arms even. for guys - those colourful rubber bands. u no - the kind that say stuff like i support the cancer council or jesus loves me.

get into outdoorsy type stuff. then show up at school with some AMAZING story u gon and on about - every one hears about that scary ass caving trip or that stack u took thru a window.

ive been going strong for a year now - long sleves are a pain in australia.
|

replied February 1st, 2011
im 12....and i cut too but ive heard that putting on nude lipstick on where your scars are helps cover them up. you can also wear wristbands if theyre on your wrists and some cool long socks for cugs on your legs. hope this helps
|

replied February 1st, 2011
Experienced User
vitamin e is supposed to help so is the peel of an onion andlemon juice I read the back of menervia or whatever that is called.
|

replied February 2nd, 2011
bio oil
|

replied March 28th, 2011
i used to cut and so far i havn't found anything that helps....but i have been told to put tanning lotion on them so they will become darker to match my skin a little more...
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied June 25th, 2011
i have a fair few scars too and i know this is gonna sound crazy but use foundation make up to cover up the majority i know its a girls makeup but its what i do and it works
|

replied July 19th, 2011
ive been cutting now for seven months..ive been sent too mental hospitals for help..and i have counseling at a mental health unit every two weeks.but now i believe that theres no help for me.the medicines im on dont help with my depression.but wen i cut im better.im a lesbian.and my familys very religous and they dont accept my choices.i have a girlfriend who i love and she loves me too.but i still feel incomplete.and misunderstood.im tired of hiding my cuts from my family.becuz they think i stopped cutting months ago..im lost and rite now i see no help for myself.idont want to go on living like this..but idont have the balls to end my life myself....
|

replied July 20th, 2011
woah now thats a story i dont mean to sound like an ass but i realy feel for ya there uve gt it tough compared to me but if they dont accept who you are then its their loss if they loved you they wud put you before any religion and if your girfriend loves you who else cares i hope you stop cutting soon i know its bad to cut i recently started cutting again so im hardly one to talk but if your going to cut be careful how deep and where u cut i niked a vein on my wrist last time and my sheets were covered in blood and getting sent to a mental hospital is bad luck
|

replied July 29th, 2012
y cut if you not going to just end it i cut to my bone but the docter stitched it up or somthing like y just cut little scars like be carful you do it or you dont even go there
|

replied November 26th, 2011
Um, this is the story of my life. I'm lesbian with suuuper religious parents. My mom said if me and my girlfriend are any more than friends (she doesn't know how serious our relationship is) then we can't see each other ever again. I cut myself a couple times and now I'm trying to hide it because it's actually my girlfriend.. if she knew I hurt myself, she'd freak out and get all worried 'cause she already worries about my bulimia... I just have like 2 little scars and I don't know how to hide them because I can't wear long sleeves anymore... :/
|

replied April 11th, 2013
if the scars arent as bad, than just dont cover them up at all and act like u didnt cut yourself ... thats what i do and ive got like 10 on my wrist and ive been doing it for over 6 months and no one has notised yet:)
|

replied April 30th, 2012
...Bout a year late but anyway...You don't need balls to end your life, you need balls to keep on living! You should make your own desicions and decide within yourself what you genuinely 'want' to do. I know for a fact that you don't wanna live with the pain you feel anymore, all the anger, upset and rejection from your family. You need to understand yourself, you found your sexuality, but now find what hurts inside of you, and find other ways to get rid of the pain. Only you can decide! <3
|

replied August 15th, 2013
I like your reply.. it's true keep on living is so difficult .. facing challenges.. solving problems .. I told my self the same .. I kept myself busy with other things other than me like marriage and kids .. you don't have time to be depressed when you have kids.. but still when the going gets tough you discover you haven't got help and it is still need to be dealt with .. professionally.
|

replied May 21st, 2012
i cut too if you dont have the balls to end yourlife maybe thats your instinct telling you that you do want to live but you dont want the pain i suggest you follow your heart and live your life the way you want
|

replied July 28th, 2011
i know how you feel Sad Im bisexual but my rents dont know but alot of others do and they destroy my heart whhen i get made fun of for it Sad so i cut.
|

replied August 16th, 2011
i've been cutting for a little while and something that i use often is arm warmers. i know sometimes they look dorky but if you buy cute ones that go with your outfits they can be nice. i've even got some fancy ones if i want to wear dresses and things. they're cheap on ebay <3
|

replied August 23rd, 2011
Using Cocoa Butter usually helps the scars start to disappear after awhile. But for a quick solution, the foundation makeup is a good idea
|

replied October 14th, 2011
There is a product called Deraflage that covers recessed scars (not the raised kind). It fills them in and you'd never know they were there. You can wear it for up to 36 hours before having to do it again, it's waterproof, and you can match it to your skin tone. They have a website. Hope it helps.
|

replied October 14th, 2011
I wear bracelets, when my cuts are fresh. For scars, and not open cuts, I use full coverage foundation, or concealer. Now if you wanna cover fresh cuts, be careful that the concealer/foundation has no perfume in it, because that can hurt a lot. In the summer, I also use a very very light self tanner over my scars, and that will help, but only on scars that aren't raised a lot.
|

replied October 28th, 2011
I've been a self mutilator for over a decade. Try this:
Mederma CREAM (not gel) in the morning. Dermablend concealer to cover it up while it fades. Bio-oil at night. You'll be in short sleeves in no time. You can get all three products on amazon.com for around $35 total. Good luck!
|

replied November 19th, 2011
I'm 14;it's been a year since I started. I use thin long sleeve shirt/jackets,wristbands or armwarmers,and jeans or long pajama pants.

And concealer and foundation is good too,but it's a lot of work.
|

replied November 21st, 2011
cutting
i have cut befor my firned got me hooked. and now i hate her with a burning passion. i stopped when i realized what it was doing to me. and that it wasnt help anyone. it might have made me feel better at teh time but now that i look back on it i realize how stupid i was. and for everyone who cuts there is help out there for all of you.
love to all,
your 13yrs friend.
|
Quick Reply