Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

Six Weeks of Diarrhea...

Must Read
Basic facts on diarrhea here, including the difference between acute and chronic diarrhea. Learn to identify each....
What causes diarrhea? We outline the most common causes of diarrhea (viruses, bacteria, and medications) and let you know when to seek medical help....
Learn how to prepare yourself when seeing a doctor for diarrhea. Know which medical exams and tests to expect, and also which questions to ask. Start here....
Hi all,
i'm a 45-year old female, non-smoker, little alcohol. I started having diarrhea six weeks ago, thought it was the flu as I got a bad cold also. Went to my gp after two weeks, he said, it's a virus and gave me lomotil (apparently like extra-strength immodium). This did nothing. He then suggested cholestyramine - a coagulating powder that you take in liquid. Tried this for a week - nothing.

Then he suggested stool sample, which I did, and which came back this week - negative. So, now i'm booked to see a gastro doc in 5 weeks. Meanwhile, immodium is helping - for about 48 hours, then the diarrhea comes back. Just this week I started to have a gnawing (not burning) pain in my upper stomach, just below my breastbone - feel always empty. I'm really stressed about this - of course my mind always goes to the the big c word. I've also got uterine fibroids very badly (having a uae in may to deal with them). Any thoughts out there?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 15th, 2005
Experienced User
I'm not sure, but maybe an ulcer? The gnawing feeling you described sounds like one to me, but i'm not sure if it would cause diarrhea....Good luck with everything and keep us updated.
|

replied April 23rd, 2005
I also had persistant diarrhea for over two months. I started with a gp. He did stool samples and blood tests. When he didn't find anything, he referred me to a gi doctor at the hospital where I work. I underwent a colonoscopy with biopsies. With the biopsies, he found that I have malabsortion in the large intestine. The large intestine's job is to absorb liquids to keep the body hydrated. He put me on welchol. This finally worked. I would suggest you try it or at least ask your doctor about it.
|

replied May 17th, 2005
Diarrhea - Celiac Disease?
My sister experienced over a year of diarrhea after eating and had numerous tests done and the doctors were starting to tell her it was all stress related. Turned out she has celiac disease - basically an allergy to all things wheat/gluten deived. Simple stool test I believe to find out and bob's your uncle! Good luck \"/
|

replied May 25th, 2005
Gallbladder
Sounds like your gallbladder or spincter of the oddi, check into these both of the computer, good luck, im going through the same thing.
|

replied June 23rd, 2005
Chronic Diarrhea
I have suffered for a year and a half with chronic diarrrhea. When it started, I was going every ten minutes, round the clock. I went to a very good gastroenterologist, who did many tests and procedures on me. No cause was ever found. My family doctor put me on an antidepressant, nortriptyline, which is recommended for irritable bowel syndrone (ibs). I am male, and ibs occurs less frequently in men. I did not have the other symptoms of ibs, but the nortriptyline allowed me to function and have a life away from a bathroom. I am now, slowly, getting better. Whatever started this is running its course, and I am finally recovering. I have been on lomotil for the same length of time. I am now off it, and the diarrhea has not returned. I have been weaning off the antidepressant, by lowered doses, and less frequent dosing. So far, so good. When I was first put on the lomotil, by itself, it didn't make much difference, either. Talk to your doctor about nortriptyline. It's an "old-style" antidepressant, which works on the nerves in your gut.
|

replied November 15th, 2007
Colits
Hi I have been dealing with colits for about 4 years now the dr. did not know what was wrong with me for years until i got so sick they had to put me in the hospatil. then they found i had this .its hard dealing with colits i cant eat any thing ever time i eat it runs right thru me ! an i do mean runs it dont take long a tall it dont even get to run its corse the food should . the dr have put me on welchol now to see if its going to help . hope it does. i know what yall are going thru . so to the ones who can eat with running to the bathroom you might wont to ask the dr about colits its over looked in a lot of people .
|