Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Is Swollen Stomach a Common Symptom of Gallbladder Problems? (Page 1)

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
I've had a few very painful attacks of what appears to be gallbladder problems, recently. The doctors have done ultrasound, ct scan, hida-scan, endoscopic ultrasound and found no stones. However, they found "sludge" and very small "crystals". They say that this is *probably* causing my problem and recommend removing my gallbladder.

I have not made a decision yet, but have changed my diet to a low/no fat diet. I have had no attacks since (about a week and a half ago).

However, shortly after my last attack, my stomach became swollen/bloated (not just feels bloated, but is bloated) and has not become un-bloated, even for a short time.

My question is this: is this a common symptom of gallbladder disorder (inflammation, etc.), or could this be something else?

Things are a bit unclear, for me, since the doctors couldn't find any clear cause of the gallbladder pain.

Thanks!

Tom
First Helper User Profile Anonymous
|

replied April 13th, 2005
Anonymous
Reply to Tom
Yes indeed, in my opinion, the bloating could be the gallbladder. I have had a very badly bloated stomach for the past few months, but I have had an unfunctioning gallbladder for three years. No gallstones. I had hidascans done and all were normal, except the last one. My stomach is ridiculously swollen. I am having surgery this upcoming monday and I am definitly ready for it as it means being pain free. Trust me, if its your gallbladder, a diet is not going to help. I did this for three years, and the only "diet" that helps now is just eat sandwiches. I can eat dry toast and ham cheese sandwiches with light mayo without being sick and without having more pain. Over the course of three years, avoiding fried foods, etc, did not help. Drs couldnt find a reason and said its my gallbladder, but they can't prove it, so it stayed in. Resulting in living with pain.

My gallbladder now has to come out, and is only functioning at 10 percent. Ofc i've heard that your gallbladder can be normal on a good diet. I eat well, yet my gallbladder is swollen and inflammed, and at long last it is coming out! Hope this helps some.
|

replied April 14th, 2005
Anonymous
Thanks For Your Reply
I come away with mixed feelings on this one! I'm glad to hear that the swollen stomach is indeed a symptom of gallbladder problems, however, i'm sorry to hear that you were not able to control it with diet. That doesn't bode well for any of my dietary plans to control it. I don't particularly like the idea of losing my gallbladder, or even surgery, in general.

If you can, please post later with the results of your surgery.

Thanks!

Tom
|

replied April 20th, 2005
Hi! Its day 3 after my surgery. The odd thing is, I don't feel much better, I still have that weird pain in my back and in the front it feels like a ball rolling over. But the gallbladder had to come out they said ti was not functioning and I do feel somewhat better, but I am telling myself its too soon to tell. I am up and about but my back is killing me. I had alot of scar tissue from my appendix ruptering and causing gangrene a few years back, I wonder if it might be related to abdominal trauma. Keep me posted about ur gallbladder.
renee'
|

replied October 20th, 2011
Hello
Hi i just wanted to ask/know something,Im 20 and 2 days ago i notice something strange about my stomach,Like about right under my lower ribs(or whatever it is lol) I notice it looks swollen,If i press in on my leg area a little it hurts...Do you have any idea what this could be .
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied April 21st, 2005
Anonymous
I would say that a swollen stomach is a symptom of gb problems. Before I had my gb removed almost a month ago I had a swollen abdomen and a bloated feeling. After it was removed it has slowly been going away. I also had a bunch of other gb symptoms as well.

Donna
|

replied April 28th, 2005
Anonymous
Thanks!
Thank you both for your replies, this helps.

Please keep us posted on your progess with the surgery recovery, i'm very interested.

-tom
|

replied May 15th, 2005
Surgery 3 Weeks Ago
This is just so great, now I feel worse than before. I have had 6 different attacks in the past 2 weeks and they are worse. They have been happening at night, have to walk the floor intil they let up. I feel so sore after the attacks for days like someone beat up my mid section with a baseball bat. Doc wants me to get set up for a eprc. So much for getting my gallbladder out and feeling better.... :evil: has anyone else had this problem??
|

replied May 14th, 2011
gall bladder cleanse
I did a gallbladder cleanse found on the site healingcancernaturally.org or something like this a couple of years ago. I didn't have problems but it is good to do for a liver cleanse as well. It did work, I eliminated looked like small green pea's all day. Takes the bloating down, so does ditching bread and sugar. I do this every spring. The Master cleanse uses lemmons and maple syrp and cayenne peper. There is a little book on this written Stanley Burroughs. I have read that even after gallbladder removal problems can persist and the stones can lodge behind the liver, something. I hope you will find this helpful, sorry about your experience. Blessings L
|

replied August 9th, 2005
Anonymous
You could have appendicitis. I just had that and had surgery about a week ago. My stomach was bloated for a while. I had intense pain. Now, I have extreme bloating and swelling from the surgery. Quite awful. Get it taken out!
|

replied May 22nd, 2009
swelling
I had mine taken out 11 days ago and my stomach is so swollen and bloated. I feel like I look pregnant...
|

replied August 24th, 2011
Post gallbladder surgery
How long did the bloating and swelling last? Had my gallbladder out nearly
6 weeks ago and well, it's gone down some but still not back to my normal.
|

replied June 22nd, 2009
I had my gallbladder taken out in December and I am now dealing with not being able to eat much. I still have the bloated stomach (looks like I'm pregnant) and sometimes my right side under my ribs hurts sooo bad like before I had my gallbladder out. Unfortunately I have to go to a stomach doctor next month to see if there's something else going on. About all I can eat and not be completely uncomfortable is plain turkey sandwiches. Whatever happened after gallbladder surgery has effected by bowels also, which could be causing the problem. I really don't believe everyone when they say you can live without your gallbladder, because I haven't talked to anyone who has had the surgery who can eat normally.
|

replied July 15th, 2009
I had my gallbladder removed 2 weeks ago - full surgery as the stones were too large to remove by laparascope. I feel pretty ok all considered and am moving around well and seem to be able to eat anything - though I eat a low fat diet anyway. My only concern is the swelling on the right of the wound - it feels like there is a hard mass there - the doctors have checked and it is not fluid or an abcess - they say it is fat under the skin and will normalise eventually. Has anyone else experienced this and if so does it go away eventually?
|

replied September 30th, 2009
oh my gosh! I have been struggling with gallbladder problems for about six months. My symptoms are burning sensations, bloated, pain, and the strangest so far is a hard mass that goes across my upper abdoman. It seems to be getting worse. I can totally relate to what you are feeling related to strange mass under skin. I am really scared because I am not insured. I hope you feel better.
|

replied October 22nd, 2009
i had the same problem in hospital.i asked for pain med second day of surgery as i was having labor pains going through my upper ab to my back,vomiting,nurse got mad at me when oral percocet made me extremely ill and made my pain even worse.i think she thought i was drug seeking.then even drinking water was excruciating.next nurse that came on shift had a little more empathy and gave me a shot of gravol and pain med.my experience was not good with some of the nurses so i had them release me early.once they took the time to review my blood labs then they acknowledged that maybe there was something going on never seen a dr. during stay except in emerg. and or room. asking question was out of the question. so i resorted to what was more healthy and chose home as it was a non hostile enviroment.i live in canada and nurses are so over worked that it must be hard dealing with people that want mercy.life gets better but watch your diet,drink tons of water once you get out to flush out meds and toxins and follow low fat diet.give your body a break.i keep telling myself that i am not as desperate as i was before surgery.
|

replied June 4th, 2010
Have you eliminated gluten?
My 30 year old daughter had her gall bladder removed, which had no success in relieving her gall bladder symptoms. She could eat less and less of her normal diet. Immediately after a meal she would get violent gastric attacks, very painful. After much research, celiac seemed to be the culprit. She eliminated ALL gluten from her diet and has been symptom free for about a year now. I think more people are gluten intolerant than anyone ever knew before. Restaurants now have gluten-free selections and supermarkets have whole sections providing gluten free foods.
|

replied July 31st, 2010
Bloating and gallbladder
I am two weeks post op gallbladder removal and feel so much better! I was suffering from chronic bloating so bad that my pants wouldn't fit! Thought I was just gaining weight, but woke up one morning with horrible pain in stomach and back. Admitted to hospital with stone stuck in bile duct, inflammation of gallbladder. Had IV antibiotics for a week, pain meds and anti-nausea meds, then surgery to remove. Glad I live in U.S., nurses were great, pain meds available always.
|

replied April 19th, 2011
@ cincat928
@ cincat928
I also have the samething going on. I have a stone stuck in my bile duct inflammation of gallbladder oh wow now you gave me the effort to it I was soo scared because of all these stories I'm hearing.
|

replied August 13th, 2010
Bloating after gallbladder removal
I would try and change your diet and see if the stone will break down and possibly pass. You will have to change your diet significantly after the removal anyway.
Bloating, gas pains and diareha are very common after gallbladder removal....it's been 5 years and I'm regretting it now.
|

replied August 18th, 2010
Gallbladder
I am having an ultra sound on Friday to determine if my symptoms are caused from a diseased gallbladder. I have had abnormal bowel movements, pain in the upper abdomen, and most recently bloating in the lower abdomen? Does this sound familiar.....wondering if it is gallbladder problems or something else?
|

replied September 9th, 2010
Is this my Gal blatter
I keep gettin a pain in my rght side that feel like a cramp. My stomach is huge i use to be like 210 now i am 345 i eat one tme a day everything on me is the same as it was just my stomach is huge i feel fat and sloppy i think its my gal blatter
|

replied September 14th, 2010
I am 4 days post op from my gall bladder removal. I had lap band surgery in June and while prepping for that surgery it was found that I had gall stones. After recovering from lap band my pain seemed to get much worse and even though I was losing very little weight my stomach was huge and bloated. Finally after not being able to bear the pain any longer I went to the ER and my lap band surgeon came in and said my gall bladder was coming out. I was on actigall and he said it wasn't having any effect on the stones. So he opened me up once more and found that a stone had backed up into my liver and blocked the bile duct causing the bloating and leakage. I had a lot of infection and he told me had I waited one more day I may not have survived. So far I feel better than ever and my stomach has shrunk a ton. All I can say is if you have stones or a non functioning gallbladder, don't wait just get it out.
|

replied September 19th, 2010
Atkins diet related?
Hi everyone. This past Friday i was awoken in the night by the worst pain of my life. I went to the emergency room and had to have surgery to remove my gallbladder. I had no symptoms leading up to this. I had been doing the atkins diet. I wasnt losing which was odd because i lost alot of weight before.This came on so fast and unexecpeted. Has anyone else had a similiar experience. Thanks for any advice. Hannah
|
12 >>