Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stroke Forum

Stroke And Memory Loss

Must Read
What happens during a stroke? What increases your chances of having a stroke? Stroke basics and info on the two types of stroke here....
Strokes can happen with virtually no warning signs. Learn the symptoms of stroke so that you can take immediate action in case of emergency....
User Profile
Is it possible for a stroke or heart attack to cause memory loss and decreased awareness, especially concentration? I've noticed that my father's awareness and concentration have not been the same since he had what I believe to have been a stroke.

He constatly complains about pain in his back/side - which makes me wonder if he's building up to another stroke/heart attack(?) or nerveous breakdown.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper atiek
|

replied April 22nd, 2004
Hello, my dad had a minor stroke a year ago now and at first had no long term or short term memory at all. He didn't even know what a yoghurt was! But gradually over this year he has got better, now remembers long term things but still has a great deal of problems with the "now" memory. This really frustrates him as he is tired of trying to remember things all the time. Just thought that i'd let you no of the symptoms that my dad had, really his only problem after the stroke was his memory problems, no paralysis as I thought would be expected in a stroke.

Hope i've helped a little.

Em.
|

replied November 5th, 2011
stroke
I suffered 2 frontal lobe strokes..i had a hard time speaking and noise bothers me alot.. but no paralysis.

my emotions also got more sensitive.

muscle weakness.. its been 2 years and my speech is better but my short tem memory loss is still there .

most frustrating for me is the muscles fatigue..

no matter if i try i cant get that back

i am a 2nd dan karate instructor and use to weight train

ive had to adjust quite alot

frustrating x 100000
|

replied January 12th, 2006
Stroke & Memory Loss
My dad had a stroke 2 years ago and he has suffered quite significant memory loss. It has improved but his short term memory is very bad and he forgets most things within a few minutes. His long term memory is ok but some things seem to be a bit jumbled up, like the timeline of events etc. He also tends to make things up as he speaks sometimes. Its very sad and hard to deal with as it gets quite frustrating.
|

replied January 12th, 2006
Stroke & Memory Loss
My dad had a stroke 2 years ago and he has suffered quite significant memory loss. It has improved but his short term memory is very bad and he forgets most things within a few minutes. His long term memory is ok but some things seem to be a bit jumbled up, like the timeline of events etc. He also tends to make things up as he speaks sometimes. Its very sad and hard to deal with as it gets quite frustrating.
|

replied June 19th, 2007
Memory Loss After Stroke
it's possible as stroke survivors usually have focal gliotic areas in the brain.These are areas where the brain cells are damaged, which may lead to memory loss.

There are brain stimulating exercises like doing simple hand tasks, recalling phone numbers, simple math etc. There are also drugs like Piracitam which are prescribed,so you may consult a Neurologist for it.

All the best,

[link removed]
|

replied December 23rd, 2008
Memory Loss After Stroke
My freind's father of 67 years old had a minor stroke 3 months ago and he was having severe memory problems. Otherwise he can be considered have no other physical problems. He can't recognize and recall his own name and family members, behave undecently, talk nonsense and use wrong words during the first month. He was one of succesful director of organization and now he have to leave his job unfinished all the sudden. The family members are very depressed and the neurologist said they can't be very sure whether he can recover his memory. Kindly advice.
|

User Profile
replied July 9th, 2011
Improve Your Memory Information
One thing to consider for those looking for improve your memory information, is to just try to keep exercising the brain by doing puzzles , quizzes, or sudoku. Another important thing to remember is to keep a healthy diet and to exercise. This will help your brain as much as the rest of the body. Consider picking up a new hobby, like music or language learning. These are great for keeping the brain agile and young. Hope this helps.
|

replied July 26th, 2011
my boyfriend had a stroke three years, he seems to be doing ok, but I'm not sure which part of his memory has been affected because he remembers stuff from before and after but he also forgets them and he gets really frustated and mad at me, he is 47, is there any way I can help?
|

replied August 9th, 2011
boyfriend
How are you guys doing? Is he still getting mad at you? Or are you getting along better?
Wishing you well,
|

User Profile
replied August 11th, 2011
Your boyfriend should just avoid riskfactor like smoking, high blood pressure , cholesterol. He is still young person. Memory should improve. It is good idea to read more books, try to learn new skills to motivate the brain. If you're interested in stroke and neurology take a look at my web page: strokeandneurology.com
|

User Profile
replied July 3rd, 2012
Memory question
I had a stroke in 2008 when I was 25. It was caused by a blood clot that past through a hole in my heart a went to the left hemisphere of my brain. I have recoverd but latley I have noticed that my short term memory is getting worse. Like repeating things that I said 5 minutes before. Im in school and its starting to not only effect that, its also interfering with my daily life. Is it going to just get worse as time goes on?? Anyone dealt with this?? Thanks.
|

replied July 12th, 2012
stroke and short term memory loss does it return?
I had a stroke Sept 2011. I was 43. it happened at work and I had no idea i was having it. It is almost a year later and I am still having trouble with my short term memory. it interferes with my entire life. I also have trouble with word finding. My stroke was on my right side and so they say there shouldn't be a problem with my language but there is. It is soo frustrating. I don't know if it will ever get better or if it will just get worse. I have had speech therapy and still have problems. i am a teacher and don't think I am going to be able to return back to work.
|

replied July 12th, 2012
stroke and short term memory loss does it return?
I had a stroke Sept 2011. I was 43. it happened at work and I had no idea i was having it. It is almost a year later and I am still having trouble with my short term memory. it interferes with my entire life. I also have trouble with word finding. My stroke was on my right side and so they say there shouldn't be a problem with my language but there is. It is soo frustrating. I don't know if it will ever get better or if it will just get worse. I have had speech therapy and still have problems. i am a teacher and don't think I am going to be able to return back to work.
|

replied August 7th, 2012
My husband suffered 2 strokes within a week of each other in February this year. We are in a foreign country (S. Korea) but he did get excellent care. He is not immobile and can walk with a cane. His speech is somewhat slurred at times but I can understand him. He has retained his long term memory, however, his short-term memory is not that good. I get frustrated because I have to repeat myself so often to get a response from him. Just simple questions sometimes takes up to a minute or longer to
get a reply. I hope this improves. Being in a another country is difficult as not all
the services are available for stroke such as speech therapy, etc.. He is back at work, however is finding it very difficult to do certain things, ie, computer, typing, writing. We are due to go back stateside in the very near future and hopefully get the care he REALY needs to improve.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Shafi Ullah Khan
User Profile
Dr. Goce Aleksovski
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov