Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Numb And Weak In Left Arm/hand - Anxiety Related? (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Hello all,

i've enjoyed reading everyone's posts and feel deeply for each of your experiences. Personally, i've been there and been dealing with anxiety non-stop for the past 2 years.

I'll keep my story short, so here goes. About 2 years ago I started experiencing random lightheaded spells. They were inconsitent and could happen while I was relaxed watching television or exercising at the gym. At first, I attributed them to my bad allergies and dismissed them. That was until my first full-blown anxiety attack. I'll never forget the day - it was a monday morning and I was sitting in a status meeting at work. I started feeling dizzy, panicked, then began to feel as if I would pass out. I got up, left the room and ended up asking the receptionist to call 911. After a trip to the er, I was given a clean bill of health and sent home. What followed for the next month was hell on earth to me. I went through a cycle of different doctors having everything from ekgs of my heart to mris of my brain. I was told several times during late night trips to the er that I was having panic attacks and that I would be fine. I was prescribed paxil, lexapro, and effexor which all gave me horrible side effects. I finally settled on taking klonopin on an as-needed basis. I returned to work after a month and was finally feeling somewhat "normal".

My anxiety included the following symptoms: dizzy, lighthead, trouble swallowing, chest pains, headaches, feeling extremely detached (the worst!), and constant thoughts of death or dying. I finally started taking effexor xr about 4 months ago. It immediately helped my anxiety but also made me feel emotionless and distant. After 4 months, I decided to get off it. It's been almost 2 weeks since I quit taking effexor and klonopin. My anxiety has been great so far and I don't feel depressed. However, a few days ago my left arm and hand started feeling weak and numb. Could this be a sign of withdrawal or anxiety? It's hard to explain but it almost feels like my left hand has lost some coordination and feels numb a lot.

I'm trying to beat my anxiety without meds through relaxation and exercise. I'm worried that my hand and hard numbness will trigger my anxiety again. Any help is appreciated!

Take care,

jamie
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper kady28
|

replied April 11th, 2005
Experienced User
I worried about numbness and tingling sensations for 2 months straight, my doc said its due to fporgetting to breath, alot of people do it, actually forget to breath, but look next time that happens to a few deep breaths
|

replied September 24th, 2007
I have been getting aching pain and some weakness on my left arm..and I m not sure what it is...how do you forget to breathe??
|

replied September 25th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
You might be facing an altogerther different issue here, I would for sure see my PCP ASAP for this. Those symptoms could be one of many things. .Just my opinion. And not a diagnosis by any means.

MsSky
|

replied November 10th, 2007
Arm And Hand Pain/numbness Associated With Panic?
My hands really hurt, go numb; I feel paralysis of hands (locking up) and sometimes - along with feelings of panic - what is this?

I am a pharmacist and type in orders all day for 10 or so hours a day - 60 hrs a week, at least
|

replied November 10th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Well
To All Above,

Speaking from one heath care worker to another. I worked on a cardiac unit for a long time. I don't tink I need to tell you what I am thinking. Does this last a long time? Any shortness of breath? Any chest pain? Any sweats. Sound almost circulartory to me. I think it might be a good idea to see a neuro and have a nerve conduction study done. I can't hurt. Of course there is always the closest ER. I don't fair well with those symtoms at all. Could be as simple as arthritis, but they would'nt go numb would they?

"Carpul Tunnel Symdrome?" But you do state it is you left arm and hand. I don't like that at all. When was the last time your had an echo cardiogram done?

Keep us posted please,
Carrie
|

User Profile
replied November 12th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Circulation problems, maybe carpel tunnel, you need to see a doctor! Get all the physical problems ruled out, then you can think about the anxiety.
|

replied February 14th, 2008
To all above.
I am 38 years old. After the birth of my five year old I was diagnosed withpost pardom and anxiety. I had and an EKG and many other tests done. All were negative. Recently when I sleep my hands fall asleep. The last three nights my left arm and hand fall asleep the second I lay flat and today it has continued through the day. Since I had these symtoms years ago I tend to dismiss them. However, I don't want to be foolish. Has anyone had these symtoms from anxiety.
Your responses are apreciated.
Julie
|

replied February 17th, 2008
Hmm, my hands are always really weak when I wake up like the blood hasn't been ciruculating well. Like it's even hard to make a fist
|

User Profile
Supporter
Probabaly pressure on the ulnar nerve caused by sleeping with your elbows down by the sides of your body. Either that or a disc problem in your neck, causing pressure on your nerves.

You should see a neurologist or in the first instance a GP as, if you leave this too long, the nerve damage is irreversible.
|

Over the last year I have had anxiety. I get numbness and tingling in my hands and feet among other things. I recently realized that I have hypoglycemia and the anxiety symptoms that I have are due to hypo. When I eat frequently and include no sugar in my diet, those symptoms are pretty much gone for me.

Just throwing that out there. Hypoglycemia can definately cause anxiety symptoms. Doctors will typically not recognize this either.
|

User Profile
replied February 19th, 2008
Experienced User
anxiety symptoms.
Do any of you get constant lightheadednes from anxiety/stress?
|

replied December 21st, 2008
i just want to say to the 38 year old that started to feel numbness and tingling in her body after having a baby that the same thing is happening to me my baby is 4 months old and i am still suffering quite badly!! i am on some medication for anti depresents but a this stage there has been no improvement problem is i dont know that i am stressed!!
|

replied February 19th, 2009
numbness and tingling in body
Just wanted to respond to anonymous,who posted on 12-21-08.
I,too,have an infant..he is 5 months...I just turned 40 and started experiencing numbness/tingling throughout my body about a month ago. I went to a nero and had an Mri and blood work. Supposedly I'm fine in both epartments,but still have this awful sensation . I was prescribed Lexapro as a migraine preventative,but also to see if it helps with what the dr thinks might be anxiety related tingling. So,has the medicine helped you? I'm so curious to know if you are any better, and if you ever found out what caused your symptoms.
|

replied March 31st, 2009
Thank you!
These posts make me feel so much better- I'm not crazy!! Whenever I get anxious my left hand/arm feels like they're not "working," as soon as I calm down, it goes away. I've had pain in my left side for about 11 years,I've had a CT on that side, which showed nothing- I think it might be nerve damage, but I am afraid to go to a neuro. This sucks! Smile
|

replied April 7th, 2009
Anxiety & Numbness
My numbness sucks; I have had three anxiety attacks; my anxiety started in the middle-east and every since then the pain is followed with numbness, chest pain, blurry vision that will not go away. My doctor told me to stop smoking because the nicotine affects anxiety, so I stop smoking and then gain weight. I had my doctor to place me on a prescribe diet with medâ??s that later drove my blood pressure sky high and gave me terrible headaches with devastating chest pain. I've seen my personal cardio doctor several times and he can't locate a problem. My psychologist and psychiatrist continue to place me on many types of anti-depression and anxiety meds. Iâ??m looking for answersâ?¦
|

replied April 17th, 2009
I agree it is anxiety!!!
I have been having these problems for the last 6 years now. All of a sudden my chest hurts and I think to myself " oh know you are having a heart attack" As soon as I think that everything else starts to hurt. My arm and wrist go numb. This is all I can think about for a while. Like right now it is happening. I have been to the Dr for it many of times. It is my anxiety. That is what I was told. I have been hitched up to the ekg thingy and my heart is fine. But it is so hard to tell yourself that this is why. But I have recently found out that I have a thyroid problem and that it causes anxiety. That helps me remember what is going on. But generally when this happens I change my mind. I call someone or do something different that gets my mind away from the anxiety. the other thing I do which is something I read in a book is that say it out loud. Say that there is nothing wrong with you and that you are just fine and it is the anxiety that is making you feel this way and yell at yourself to cut the crap you know what it is. I hope this helps.
|

replied April 18th, 2009
Any ideas
Hi there just to share and hopefully someone can provide some input.
First my history. I am 32 5,9 175 and physically active do cardio with no issues about 3 times a week. I do have high blood pressure, which is being treated with lisinprol and high good and bad cholestoral�Hereditary. I also have right bundle branch blockage in my heart which according my Doctor, is really not a problem but it does result in an irregular EKG. About a week ago and now almost every day this week, I have bouts shortness of breath, like I cant good breath in. Typically followed my numbness and/or tingling on my3 left arm and sometimes feet. I feel slightly heavy and nauseated. Seems that I feel better when I stand and walk around and I noticed that I get gas...belching seems to make me feel better. I feared the worst and contacted my doctor and came in the next day. I have had x-rays, EKG, and echocardiogram and my hearts seems good. I am pending result for blood work. He said it looks to be panic attacks. Strange thing is that I am not really stressed out. What bothers me is the numbness of my arm. It�s not completely numb, but don�t see how a panic attack would make just my left arm numb.
|

replied April 28th, 2009
I see a constant trend.
I was diagnosed for anxiety 2 months ago. This was just after a normal EKG and my first time in an ambulance. At that moment, I knew death was only inches from me.

Im at home typing. My fingers suddenly become sluggish. It then actually felt like my circulation just quit. It was like my left arm died and my pulse is thumping like something insane. I jump in my car to reach the hospital 15 miles from me. Im thinking, "Oh my God. This is really it. Im only 27--a stroke?" My hazardous lights are blinking. I can't make it all the way. It's too much!! I pull up to the nearest home I see. I run up, banging on the door, begging them to, "Please call the ambulance. I'm having a stroke!" It arrived in just minutes.

After everything (clean blood tests, EKG, etc.), I am sent home for anxiety. I even mentioned my left arm numbness to the doctor, expecting a logical explanation. She responds unphased and says, "See your general practioner for your anxiety." I'm ??. I have peered into many medication complication experiences and no thank you.

For us anxiety endurers, left arm pain does not equal anything more than just a symptom, but if you want solid EKG feedback, whatever makes you feel comfortable is the most important thing.
|

replied September 10th, 2009
health
so glad i saw these posts starting to freak myself out im 23, athletic and started getting weakness and numb feeling in my left arm for the past weak. i do have anxiety so this makes my anxiety ten times worse because i think somthings got to be wrong havent been to the docs office in 4-5 years lol but im hopeing its anxiety causeing this
|

replied March 23rd, 2011
Left arm and hand numbness, tingling sensations
Anytime a person feels weakness on the left arm and hand , they should IMMEDIATELY seek a Doctor, get their heart checked out, it could be a warning sign FOR A STROKE!
|