Medical Questions > Cancer > Lung Cancer Forum

Hole In the Lung

Must Read
Start here for facts about lung cancer. We help you understand lung anatomy and outline the different types of lung cancer that doctors diagnose....
Doctors know that smoking tobacco damages the lungs. But does smoking cause lung cancer? And are smoker more at risk of lung cancer than non-smokers? More here....
Early lung cancer symptoms can be difficult to spot. Learn how to identify signs and symptoms and know when to seek medical help for lung cancer here....
Hey all!

Just wondering if you guys could help me out.. I have a friend who was diagnosed with a hole in her lung when she was quite young (4 or 5 years old). Apparently this was a result was excessive coughing.. Just wondering if the hole will be fully repaired by now (she's 22) or whether she needs treatment, or just any general information on holes in the lung would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks a lot!
- boozi
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper reeakins
|

replied September 20th, 2006
Hole In Lung
Boozi-

i'm just as curious. The other day, my boyfriend's doctor said that he had a hole in his lung, and we didn't know that that was even possible. And now that I know it is, i've been researching everything.

I was wondering if it is just something that you're born with, or if it is something that occurs over time.

We still don't know exactly what it is, but there is a high chance of surgery.

If anyone has information, please respond.

Thanks very much,
- becca
|

replied January 3rd, 2007
You
If you want to know more about mesothelioma let's to visit this site :

http://www.Mesothelioma-vn.Co.Nr

one of the best mesothelioma website news in the world !!!
|

replied May 28th, 2009
about pneumothoraces (from mayoclinic.com)
about pneumothoraces (from mayoclinic.com)

This usually occurs in otherwise healthy people with no history of chest trauma. It's most common in tall, thin men � many of them smokers � between 20 and 40 years of age. Primary spontaneous pneumothorax is thought to develop when a small air blister (bleb) on the lung ruptures. Blebs are caused by a weakness in the lung tissue and can rupture from changes in air pressure when you're scuba diving, flying, mountain climbing or, according to some reports, listening to extremely loud music.

Primary spontaneous pneumothorax can run in families, and researchers think that genetic factors also may play a role. A primary spontaneous pneumothorax is usually mild because pressure from the collapsed portion of the lung in turn collapses the bleb.
|

replied May 24th, 2013
Hole IN the lung
I was told about 2 years ago that I had a hole in my lung.
I went in for cheat pain, they told me it just happened. They couldn't tell me how, but I was a smoker for 6 years previous to that. However I can remember being 12 (before smoking) and having extreme chest pain, and I could only take really shallow breaths because it caused a lot of pain.. The doc said it may or may not have been caused by smoking, he wasn't sure.
But he did tell me it would heal on its own. However 2 years later at 23 I'm still having chest pain, I resently quit smoking, I should have sooner, but was lets just say very unsmart about the situation, but I've been noticing an increase in my chest pain.

Anyone else ever had a hole in the lung?
And what was the results? Did it heal, collapse, never go away etc? Does the chest pain ever stop? -Rachel
|

User Profile
replied June 24th, 2013
The main causes include long term exposure to smoke, tuberculosis and valley fever.
|