Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Sinusitis Forum

Hot Ears!

Must Read
Do you have a cold or a sinus infection? Learn the difference plus more info on different types of sinus infections (sinusitis) here....
What can cause a short-term or long-term case of sinus infection? We review both. Learn how to avoid the risk of developing an infection in this section....
What are the first signs that you have trouble with your sinuses? Learn to identify a sinus infection early ... plus know when you should seek medical help....
Pretty much everyday I have a dull headache in the back portion of my head, and occassionally it's accompanied by a warm sensation in my ears. The headache isn't extremely painful, just bothersome and steady. Sometimes it's tingly. Does anyone else have a headache w/ hot ears, or am I alone on this one!? :) could it be tension, maybe?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 7th, 2005
Hot Ears
Welcome to the club. I have the same symptoms. Steadily progressed from occasionally to pretty much constant. No headache but pressure and fatigue. Meds help to reduce the "hot ears" but not entirely. Fatigue and weekness a real problem.Have seen a number of docs including neurologist that diagnosed the problem as migrain headache caused by sinus problems. Still looking for an answer.
|

replied February 5th, 2009
Hot Ears
My 10 year old son has been complaining about his ears getting hot and turning very red. This has been going on for about a year. We put ice on them and it seems to help. He isn't on any medication and feels find otherwise. No one seems to have any answers as to the causes. I'm also still searching.
|

replied March 30th, 2009
Constant tension behind left ear
I have had the same symptoms now for months. At first it was off and on, but now for the last 3 weeks or a month it has been every day. Behind my left ear is a constant tension that goes from about a half inch behind my ear toward the middle of the back of my head. I can also feel a slight heat inside my inner ear. I can also agree with DQ42 about the fatigue and weekness. All day long I feel like I could close my eyes and go to sleep. I was a very active person before this got to where it is now. I have read on some blogs that is is due to a pinched nerve in the neck, and some say it is tmj. If anyone else has had any success with curing this please post to this blog. Thanks
|

replied April 21st, 2011
I have had the same symptoms for the past 7 months. Have had clean MRI / CT scans, although there was a "single punctate nonenhacing white matter lesion in the right parital lobe, nonspecific" on the MRI, which two different neurologist deemed insignificant (even though that is the side I am experiencing the headache on). Also have the issues with fatigue and lack of concentration. Also, pain killers and muscle relaxers do not alleviate the pain/pressure at all.

Some background on my particular story: I was diagnosed with Lyme in 7/10 for which I received 10 days of antibiotics. In 9/10 I started experiencing the constant headache, trouble with anything that required any amount of concentration (even watching TV), brain fog, fatigue, and vision issues. I was tested in 1/11 for Lyme again, but tested positive on two different tests for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. After seeing an Infectious Disease doctor, he dismissed both tests as false positives and sent me to see a neurologist. First neurologist ordered the MRI, and after the clean test results told me I was most likely suffering from migraines. Although I informed her that this particular headache was nothing like a migraine (which I have had several before, and someone never forgets the pain pf a migraine), she told me my two options were to either take pain meds or not to take anything. Her opinion was that I was fine, as the test results came back "clean." I scheduled another appointment with a second neurologist who thought the pain might be muscle related, and prescribed both ibuprofen and a mild muscle relaxer. Neither alleviated the pressure/pain. As of recently, the pain has started to move toward the outer edge of my right ear, accompanied with a hot sensation. In addition, the right portion of my face (upper cheek and jaw) have a constant, mild numbness. It is very similar to the sensation of Novocaine wearing off after a dentist visit. I also been tested for Bell's Palsy (paralysis of one side of the face), and that was also negative.

Some other information: I have always had a popping jaw (TMJ) but it worst on the opposite side of the headache.

If anyone else has any information, please let us know! Every doctor I have seen is completely stumped, and rather than admitting that they don't know what is wrong, they try to explain the symptoms away with the most common causes, such as migraines. Please, any help would be greatly appreciated!
|

replied June 23rd, 2012
I recognize most of what others have said: "full" ear (usually only one side), blocked tubes, hot ear, headache/neck ache, but also sore throat. I've been consulting doctors and alternative healers for years and no-one's come close. My latest attempt is to explore the TMJ issue. It transpires I do have a bad bite, and am wearing a corrective splint on my bottom teeth. Some relief, but certainly not a cure.

Nevertheless I would recommend investigation of TMJ - can't do any harm, and it's a fact that bad bites can have all sorts if side effects.

Meantime it's painkillers, infrared lamp, and life goes on.
|

replied October 26th, 2012
red hot ear...tmj related?
Hi..have you found out what's causing these problems yet? I was diagnosed with tmj years ago & had a splint made for me. It took care of all of the symptoms. Here I am about 12 years later & my symptoms have returned. But I have a red hot ear in addition to the ear fullness & pressure in the head. I hadn't used my splint in years because my symptoms cleared up. Now I went & bought those night guards they sell at the drug store. They have definitely helped. Pressure in head isn't nearly as bad & the ear fullness kind of comes & goes. But I'm still getting a red hot ear. Just the left ear. It seems to happen every night between 5&8pm. Could this be tmj related? I had a cat scan of the brain & sinuses done. All came out good. When I told my Dr about the hot ear he looked at me like I was crazy. So Monday I a. Going to a new Dr & also back to the orthodontist who treated me years ago. Any thoughts are welcome.
|

replied October 26th, 2012
Hi..have you found out what's causing these problems yet? I was diagnosed with tmj years ago & had a splint made for me. It took care of all of the symptoms. Here I am about 12 years later & my symptoms have returned. But I have a red hot ear in addition to the ear fullness & pressure in the head. I hadn't used my splint in years because my symptoms cleared up. Now I went & bought those night guards they sell at the drug store. They have definitely helped. Pressure in head isn't nearly as bad & the ear fullness kind of comes & goes. But I'm still getting a red hot ear. Just the left ear. It seems to happen every night between 5&8pm. Could this be tmj related? I had a cat scan of the brain & sinuses done. All came out good. When I told my Dr about the hot ear he looked at me like I was crazy. So Monday I a. Going to a new Dr & also back to the orthodontist who treated me years ago. Any thoughts are welcome.
|