Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Epidural

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
I was wondering what are the major risks of an epidural? I am due 4-27-05
and I am thinking about getting one, im kinda scared, has anyone out ther been hurt b/c of an epidural?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 30th, 2005
Firstly, I have to say that in this day and age there is no reason at all to have uncontrolled pain when there are so many analgesics and analgesic techniques available.

There are risks associated with all anaesthetics. However, with the training that the anaesthetists and midwifery staff receive the risks associated with epidurals are minimal.

I say go for an epidural, and enjoy your labour! But, ask to speak with the anaesthetist prior to the epidural being inserted and ask him/her to explain to you exactly what the procedure will entail, and what the risks are. This is called informed consent, and your anaesthetist has a duty to explain everything to you prior to obtaining your consent. Don't let them fob you off. If there is anything that he/she says that you do not understand then ask them to explain it to you - it's your right.

Good luck for 04-27-05, I hope it all goes well for you.

Do you know if you're having a boy or a girl?
|

replied March 30th, 2005
Experienced User
Its a Boy!!!!
Im having a beautiful baby boy, and by the looks of things he may be coming a little bit earlier than I thought, I am full term now and it is safe for me to have my son anytime now even though my due date isnt untill april 27th thanks for wishing me luck! I actually want to have an epidural although my mama says I shouldnt, she had me natural. She told me to just close my eyes and push, and know that he will be here soon.
|

replied March 30th, 2005
Experienced User
Re: Its a Boy!!!!
playgurlie85 wrote:
im having a beautiful baby boy, and by the looks of things he may be coming a little bit earlier than I thought, I am full term now and it is safe for me to have my son anytime now even though my due date isnt untill april 27th thanks for wishing me luck! I actually want to have an epidural although my mama says I shouldnt, she had me natural. She told me to just close my eyes and push, and know that he will be here soon.

i say, see how your labor goes and if the pain is unbearable then ask for an epidural. If they were that bad for you or baby they wouldnt give them. Good luck :)
|

replied March 30th, 2005
Experienced User
Get the epidural... I was in labor for 4 hrs then my water broke....Got the epidural....Feel asleep...Woke up fully dialated pushed for 31 minutes ( pain free :) ) and out came my beautiful little girl! It's painless ( I wouldn't lie I hate needles ) and was so helpful! Good luck!
|

User Profile
replied March 30th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
At the hospital they review over evvverrry possible side effect of the epidural in the verry begining of your labor and have you sign a consent form and you can change your mind at any time... I had one and seriously hun it really wasnt that bad just breathe thru it
|