Medical Questions > Nutrition > Nutrition Forum

Symptom of Iron Deficiency???

Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....
Over the past 2 years I have developed an extreme sensitivity to cold. I stay cold all the time unless the temperature is over 70 and there is not breeze. If there is a breeze and I can feel it on my skin, it doesn't matter what the temperature is I will feel cold. Is this a sign of an iron deficiency? Can someone please help me??
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 4th, 2005
Experienced User
Well it could be anemia I think. Usually anemics are also very thin so less body fat might be a reason why you are cold.
I am cold all the time too can't go anywhere without my sweater...
Bundle up warm, take care, see you dr,if you can

ps- at least you dont have to worry about sweating...
|

replied January 5th, 2006
I have anemia (iron deficiency). Being cold all the time is a symptom of anemia. I found out that I had anemia because my hair was falling out (it was 1/2 as thick as it was a few weeks before). I went to the doctor and told him what was happening and he did a blood test. That's the only way that you'll know for sure if you have an iron def.

My doc told me to take iron pills, 3x a day, they're a pain!!! And they have to be taken for 6 or so months, so I suggest to anyone, try and get lots of iron in your diet!!
|

replied February 1st, 2006
Anemia
Hi! I have anemia and I get cold very easily, but I have many other symptoms too. Like shaking, dizziness, fainting, and a bit of memory loss. It's very strange how low iron can completly mess your body up. I had to get a blood test to determine how low my iron level was. You should go to the doc. And get it checked out. Do you eat plenty of iron rich foods? I hope you get it all figured out! Good luck!
|

replied April 14th, 2009
anemia
A year ago I was in hospital for severe stomach pains.My red blood count was 7.4.I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy and numerous ultrasounds etc.I had 4 units of blood.They never found anything wrong thank goodness to a point.I was put on 3 iron pills a day.In June my blood was at 11.4 still low.I have lost insurance and have not been able to get checked.It has been almost a year now.I now get cold a lot which I was always the opposite! Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this?
|

replied May 8th, 2009
Being cold and shaking
I think i am feeling some similar symptoms. Mine are, hands shaking, cold, fatigue, nausea, headaches and a 3 week long period!!!! This is making my days go by a lot longer than they used to. i am very tired all the time!!! I cant go a day without taking a nap. I get dizzy and light headed which is frustrating. Now someone on here had said that taking the iron pills were a pain...what did you mean by that? I took them when i was pregnant I remember that they made me have to go to the bathroom a lot and gave me stomach aches. Is that what you were talking about? Any help on this wouls be appreciated..
|

User Profile
replied May 8th, 2009
Experienced User
iron needs to be balanced with other nutrients
i have been reading an educational site about iron & the interrelational correlation of zinc & copper the site sells nothing but has helped me gain control of my health issues & tought me how to understand my symptoms & treat them(symptoms of cronic fatigue)this is really worth studying the site is ithyroid.com & if i can be of any assistance to anyone who needs it i can be contacted by sending me a personal message, just click on my 8 ball picture.
|

replied November 16th, 2009
Reg- Anemai
Hi,

i have anemia & my red blood count is 8.6. Doctor had advised me to take iron pills & i am using it regularly. My question is how many months should i take these pills to get my count 12.3.
|

User Profile
replied March 15th, 2011
I suffer from iron deficiency and I am on a 3 times day iron supplement. I find that I get dizzy, feel as though I am walking sideways. Tired and I have to lay down until the pill absorbs in my body. It is a pain because I always feel like something else is wrong. I had a stroke 3 years ago and I crave things like starch when my iron is low. I was told by a doctor that my iron was really low that I was on the verge of having to have a blood transfusion. I have heavy periods and I am drained all the time my cycle is on.
|

User Profile
replied January 2nd, 2012
Low iron anaemia
I too have low iron deficiency. My ferritin level was 5. I got low iron exhaustion and felt totally wiped out. Im on 3 ferrous sulphate a day, which unsettle my stomach and cause black stools..yak but if i dont take them I get so fatigued, I cant do anything. Think my levels were at 23 at the last count and my g.p. says he wants them at 70! I have shed loads of hair and had numerous symptoms with this complaint. It's awful to live with and whenever I fly abroad it worsens...dunno why? Can anyone relate to that? Im 40, have i.b.s. too and would love any help on improving my fitness...cos quite frankly, I cannot exercise. I dont drink or smoke and should be a picture of health! ;-(
|

replied March 14th, 2012
iron deficiency
i was really anemic person from my child time.
the doctor sad to me that iron deficiency is the most common blood disorder and it is caused by lack of iron.
Without a sufficient amount of iron the body can not produce enough hemoglobin.
I tried to use something that will help my body to produce more hemoglobin.
Almost all life of battle with anemia and it seems now i stopped to be anemic, my last researches was good.
All people who have same problem keep trying, never give up!
|

replied May 1st, 2012
To everyone anaemic with no idea why this is so - do your research about coeliac disease. Even better, try cutting out all gluten for a couple of weeks and see if there's an improvement. You might get a surprise. To the person who's had an endoscopy and they've not found signs of coeliac - it could still be coeliac disease - these biopsies are far from conclusive (just because they didn't find it - doesn't mean that it's not there). To the person who gets worse when they go abroad, your diet will change - so do you eat more gluten products when on holiday? Also, there's a lot of iron to be found in raw veggies. I've taken up juicing first thing in the morning. Juice with a fruit base because the taste is nice and then add in some veggies. Sometimes the juices look like ditch water but they taste good (just shut your eyes). You can google to find out which raw veggies have the most iron.
|

replied January 3rd, 2013
I have had iron deficiency (Anemia) my entire life. I have symptoms that include fatigue, cold hands and feet, craving of ice, sensitivity to cold, and the list goes on. But recently I have been experiencing night sweats. And my cravings for ice are alot higher than usual. I have also been having abdominal pain (sometimes followed by nausea) and pain in my back on the right side under my rib cage. Im not sure if its completely unrelated, a sign of something else or that my iron levels are extremely low. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
|