Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

Why Do Alcohol Beverages Cause Bleeding?

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
I am not comfortable asking my doctor, I am afraid it may become a serious illness.

When I drink liquor (hard liquor) beverages mixed w/soda I have rectal bleeding. Sometimes I don't know I am bleeding until I visit the ladies room, small to medium spats of blood. What is wrong w/me? Do I really need to get it looked at right away? I am afraid!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 5th, 2005
I have no idea what may be causing your symptoms but know one thing, waiting and worrying are not going to help you. Whatever's wrong isn't going to change by being ignored. Maybe it's "only" piles? Who knows? If it is serious it can still be treated. Chances are it's ok but...

Go to the doctor today and sort it out. I'm waiting on a colonoscopy at the moment and the worry is huge, but whatever's wrong isn't going away by doing nothing!
|

replied April 12th, 2005
Experienced User
Bleeding
You really should go to a doctor if your bleeding or if it hurts.
Does the same thing happen when you drink beer? Or just hard liqour?
Straight hard liqour and mixed drinks make my stomache cramp and hurt too. Not beer tho unless I drink alot
i think its a liver problem
|

replied April 14th, 2005
Comment
Thank you, I will contact my doctor. I have heard it could be one of three common things. Colon cancer, aggrevated ulcer or my veins thining then bleeding out. Either way it is scary. Thank you all for your comments.
|

replied April 23rd, 2005
My first question is does it hurt? Do you only bleed when putting pressure on your rectum (urinating or with a bowl movement)? Do you feel or can you see any veins outside of the rectum? You may have internal hemorrhoids that become more vascular due to the alcohol thinning your blood. You may also have a rectal tear that also bleeds easily after drinking. I do suggest that you see your doctor though.
|

replied April 23rd, 2005
Why Do Alcohol Beverages Cause Bleeding?
Hey saflores, how are you doing?

Alcohol does not cause bleeding directly, but alcohol can interfere with maintaining optimal health of blood vessels by damaging proteins and weakening blood vessel walls. Alcohol increases excretion of important vitamins and minerals.

Alcohol does not cause bleeding directly, but alcohol can interfere with maintaining optimal health of blood vessels by damaging proteins and weakening blood vessel walls. As such, people who drink alcohol have increased nutritional needs of the b vitamins, magnesium and zinc.

For additional causes or rectal bleeding, please visit ubc student services - health & wellness.

best wishes,
|