Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acne and Skin Disorders Forum

Tingling And Stinging Sensations All Over (Page 1)

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
27 year old male
so for the last 6 months or so i've had on and off tingling and stinging sensations all over my body. I'll feel a little prick or sting somewhere on my body and it will go away after a second or two, then i'll feel it somewhere else.
Please help...What is this? I'm definately a hypochondriac, but this isn't helping at all. I'm scared that I have some horrible disease, but then I dismiss these symptoms as being anxiety. Then, I know that i'm really feeling this and I start getting scared again. Is this a symptom for any disease?
I went to my doctor for an annual checkup and told him and he said that he'd never heard of this...
This is a very bothersome condition...Like you have invisible insects on you stinging you at different locations at all times. Could it be dry skin, is it just anxiety, is it a symptom of a disease?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 30th, 2005
Experienced User
I have no idea what you have but I get tingling and numbness sensations in my fingers someyimes. I have a big fear of bugs and diseases (i guess im a hypochondriac). I noticed that after I see a big or something that shakes me up, this happens. I dont know what it is either. Well good luck if you find a remedy for this, please let me know. Thanks. :d
|

replied June 12th, 2005
I found your post through a search engine while searching the same symptoms. I'm a 21 year old female, and I am expierencing the same thing. Don't know if it's just me overthinking it, stress, or real symptoms to something possibly serious. Did you ever find out any more about it?
|

replied June 21st, 2005
Experienced User
Sometimes.. It could just be nerves. If you hurt ur spine or hit ur head somewhere.. There's a good reason for the tingly sensation. Generally these are the two things that come to mind.... Good luck =)
|

replied June 25th, 2005
Tingling Sensations
Hello

it sounds like a nerve damage problem, i've seen patients with this in the doctors office I work at, they usually run some typical blood work and send them off to a neurologist, or if the patient has had back problems or been in a accident of any kind they send them to a chiropractor, sometimes a slipped disc or a pinch nerve can cause these awful sensations. It doesn't help that you guys are hypocondriacs, there also is meds out their for that condition too, it greatly help the anxiety problem, talk to your doc about your anxiety problems, anxiety problems can cause a major immune dysfiuction. Get help, and take care. If your doctor was to ignore pain like that, it sound like you need to find a new doctor
|

replied July 7th, 2005
I'm 21 year old caucasian male. I too am an hypocondriac and I have been having what you describe for over a week now (you can see how hypocondriac I am) and i'm worried. This isn't normal, it started after I was beeing preocupied with having bad circulation in my legs. It's really weird, I guess that if it can only be a spine nerve damage in my neck or near that (so it explains why I had it in my upper back) or anxiety-induced reaction.

If you guys had gone to the doctor please report back, i'll do the same.

|

replied July 7th, 2005
Experienced User
The bad circulation in your legs are because of blood pressure sometimes.. .But generally.... When you lie down.. On ur back.. And elevate ur legs 30 cm. You will not experience the bad circulation.... But yea.... See a doctor and good luck =d
|

replied February 2nd, 2007
I googled and found this thread also. I have the exact same symptoms and thought that I had ms. I went to my doctor and he indicated ms is the disease that most people who think they're sick self-diagnose themselves with.

I have stinging and tingling primarily in my legs, but, they "pop up" all over my body (hands, face, groin, fingers). I feel for everyone on here, but, relieved to hear that i'm not the only one. I also was thinking that I had some horrible disease.

My doctor seemed to think my issues were stress/alcohol related. (a few drinks a night)
|

replied February 15th, 2007
Stinging And Tingling Sensations
I just started to get these in december 06. They have progressively gotten worse over the last couple of months. They are not necessarilly really painful, just annoying and causing me anxiety. I went to the Dr. And got an emg to test my nerves and it came back normal. Has anyone figured out what this could be. I am sure some of it is stress related in that when I get anxious over this the symptoms get worse. Also, when I am really busy doing something like golfing, they seem to subside a little so I don't really feel them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
|

replied March 12th, 2007
I am 19 years old male, and I am having the same problem. I went to the doctor, too. The doctor said I might need couseling. It sounds as if i have some kind of mental problem. Maybe I do, but it looks more like a physical problem to me ae. every onc while i get this stinging sensation on my chest and my face. I've been having this since this winter has started. When the stinging sensation occurs, i rush out the building of dorm, and cool my self down with the natural breeze of winter. I have come out with a hypothesis saying that it could be the heat's effect. The heat that is emitted from our heaters could be a result of what we are all experiencing. According the author, "cmatth1326", he states that he has started to have this problem in december 06 which is almost the beginning of the winter when heaters are on. I don't know. Hope this helps with some people who are able to turn off their heaters and have a try of this solution. Too bad, i am in a college dorm. Heaters can't be turned off. I guess i have to suffer till the end when heat is not a neccessity.
|

replied March 16th, 2007
We All Have the Same Symptoms!
Wow everybody, this stinging all over is very worrisome! I have not found much information on the web about all over stinging like what everyone here describes. I suffered this for about a month, then it went away, and now its back. I also get all over MUSCLE TWITCHES. It seems that most or all of the posts here have anxiety/hypochondria as a commonality. I was told i am a hypochondriac by my pscychologist, and admit that i get very worried over this stinging. Im curious to see if we all have anything else in common that may be causing this stinging...anyone have chronic acid reflux? Any all over itchiness? Muscle twitch? Good luck, and everyone please keep updating here with developments/thoughts on all over stinging.

PS. this problem also for me seems to subside when i am active.

about me: 24 year old male
|

replied March 19th, 2007
I am a 32 year old male.. I am NOT a hypochondriac. Other than the common cold I am rarely sick. But around 2 months ago, out of the blue, I started to experience a stinging sensation (like hundreds of pin-pricks) on my skin (usually causes "goosebumps" also), which causes me to itch. Mostly on my back, chest, stomach, arms, head and hands, simutaneously. I have noticed on my arms when experiencing this, that I get red areas that look like the first stages of hive, but thats it, just red blotchy ares. I remember the first time I felt this I also recall feeling too hot (like the heat in the room was up to high) just prior to the stinging feeling. Now with warmer outside air temps I am noticing that just about ANYTIME I am exerting my self (such as work, any activity that starts to increase body temp. yes I said ANY activity) this stinging sensation starts to occour. And let me tell you, I makes you wanna jump into Arctic Ocean for hope of relief. A hot shower is out of the question. To me it seems that anytime my pores start to "open" up as to start sweating, is when this occours. Its so irritating that when I am experiencing this stinging, if its cause I have something wrong with me, I wish I would just die and get it over with.. That was a joke.. But you get the picture..

What I have been thinking I might try, is, usually when this sensation starts to occour, I have always stopped what I was doing and let it subside. I am to the point where I am about to "suck-it-up" and take off in a dead sprint until I litterally start to sweat (imagine people thinking "Look at that mad man, he just dropped his hammer and took off like a bolt of lightning, and hes still runnin"). Since the first time I experienced this I have not "broken" a sweat.. But with summer approaching, if I dont get this figured out, Im gonna be in deep "do-do".. I have yet to see a doctor..
|
Users who thank nameno1chose for this post: 2geta 

replied March 19th, 2007
Response to Nameno1chose
What you describe sounds like cholinergic urticaria, maybe try googling this condition. It is a form of hives induced by excersize/activity. Best wishes.
|

replied March 20th, 2007
Thanks for the help..
|

replied April 22nd, 2007
to everyone on the thread, i have exactly the same symptoms as u all have. i cant do anything without triggering this. i start to itch all over my body, getting this sharp stingy feeling. then i get small red spots, which eventually fade away when i cool down.

it happens when ever it wants i cant control it, happens when i start to feel hot, or doin some sort of activity. i cant even face other people in public incase this happens and i start to itch. its really arkward at times especially when ur driving. im getting quite anoid and scared with this condition.

well ive had this since last november 2006, noticed it when i went shopping and my face just turned blotchy red. then it got worse, i went 2 see my doctor. hes never herad of this condition and doesnt know what triggers it. i was prescribed anti-histamine tablets. it got a little bit better but then there are days where the tablets dnt work.

somebody please help me.
thanks
|

replied May 1st, 2007
i feel your "pain".. no pun intended :p anti-histamine tablets seem to help a little bit for me too.. but like you, almost any activity, causes this.. with the weather being in the 80's here now, even just walking can trigger it.. have yet to actually go to a doctor. i just try to "suck it up"..
|

replied May 2nd, 2007
Do you supplement with vitamin B6? Too much can give you the symptoms you describe and lead to permanent nerve damage.

You may also have a lack of B12.

Make sure your Doc rules out diabetis.

Look into the Phiffer institue in Chicago, or the Bright Spot in Kansas as a non traditional approach for both your symptoms and your mental health concerns.

Smile God loves you!
Good luck!
|

replied May 3rd, 2007
If you guys are all experiencing this prickly feeling when you body heats up, ie exercise, anxiety, warm room etc...I got a feeling its Cholinergic Urticaria. Check out the allergies+asthma forum there is a great thread (the largest one in that topic forum) with great advise on what to do.
|

replied June 14th, 2007
Ditto here for the past 8 months. I thought it was insects, but found none. As others have noted, other possibilities include hypothyroid, vitamin B12 deficiency, diabetes, other metabolic disorders, and probably other conditions as well. It could also be anxiety, depression, stress, etc. More esoteric possibilities -- fibromyalgia, Morgellons, etc. I think we all need to rule out physical causes first. If none are found, maybe just grin and bear it as it's not life threatening. I wish I could be more encouraging. Good luck everyone.
|

User Profile
replied June 30th, 2007
Sorry for bumping an older thread, but I got a real problem here =X

I googled Painful tingling (or something like that, already erased it xD) and this came up.

It happened yesterday evening right before the sun went behind the trees, but i started to get this painful tingling like bad bugbites or being stabbed by needles on my arms and midsection especailly. I thought my skin was just irritated by that nasty water, and I went in the shade and indoors soon after so I didn't think of it again till today.

This morning after I had left a store, as soon as I got into the car I was overcome with the painful tingling again, this time on my legs too. I didn't get it again till the afternoon when I was out in the sun for a few minutes situating my wet paintings in the car, that being out directly in the sun and uber heat, within a minute as soon as my body temperature started to rise I was feeling the painful, itchy tingling all over again.

And this evening at home, when I was directly in the sunlight I started to get the tingling again, this time it pretty much was exclusively in the mid-section.

I am 16 years old and a lifeguard. I don't have to work again till Monday, but I can't work like this, it will bother me all day!! (and it really does hurt) I don't need the distraction on the job. I've taken some Benadryl but so far nothing, also the sun is behind the trees and its cool enough now that it doesn't start tingling.

Also after this happens I feel a little sluggish, my legs have felt a little heavy and I got extremely tired after the episode earlier this afternoon. I don't think its life-threatening or anything, but it will be a huge hassle to deal with when I'm out in the sun all day, I've NEVER had this happen before. Also yesterday, it was a really warm day but I never ever felt hot, which was wierd because I'm usually VERY hot natured.

Oh I do have depression and alot of anxeity (but I wasnt anxious or depressed at all yesterday or the day before really, im so down/anxious all the time I don't always notice it Sad ) and I take Celexa 40mg and wellbutrin XL 300mg. I've taken both for nearly a year, and the celexa was bumped up to 40 about a month and a half ago. My grandma's convinced its my medicine but I seriously don't think so.

Last bit of history (i want to be as specific as possible =X) Is that I have terrible sinuses (im a walking sinus infection, i have one all winter long usually XP) but no allergies. I also never get sick (just sinus infections), except maybe a bad cold once every 2 or 3 years.
|