Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

Urine Smells Very Strong, Like Plastic, Or Burning Rubber (Page 1)

Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
My urine smells very strong, like plastic, or burning rubber. I drink beer alot.Could this be a lack of water.Or is it something to worry about
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper SilkSpectreIII
|

replied March 29th, 2005
It could very well be the over abundance of beer and lack of water...You could have a bladder infection...Kidney infection...You definitley should drink alot of water, especially if youre a big drinker.
Do you have any other problems?? Like burning, even mild when you pee, or lower back pain??
|

replied March 29th, 2005
Urine Smells Very Strong, Like Plastic, Or Burning Rubber
No...No other problems.Sometimes I get this pain in my tailbone after playing drums for too long, but I think its from bad posture and a hard stool
|

replied August 16th, 2005
Urine Smells Like Plastic
I am experiencing pain in my lower back on a regular basis. It started in my lower back l5 area. Xrays say I have a degenerative disc. I have been to the doctor, chiropracter, acupuncture, neurolink, and am now currently doing rolfing. The pain starts in the evening and increases while I am sleeping. Lately the pain feels like it is in the top of my hips? I also have episodes where my urine smells like plastic? Really strong smell?

In the morning its hard to get up out of bed. But when I do, it begins to warm up and I can function thru the day. Somedays are better than others with more or less pain during the day?

I don't know if this is related but I also experience episodes of small tears in my anus after bowel movements? The area becomes very itchy and irritated especially during the night.

This problem started a few years ago and hasn't gotten better. I have learned to manage the pain, but have found no cure as of yet... Does anyone have any ideas I am at my wits end...
|

replied August 17th, 2005
Urine Smells Like Burning Rubber And Is Not Due to Lack of W
So weird. For 3 days I thought I had a short in the exhaust fan or something in my bathroom. I kept smelling burning rubber smell and I just realized today it was my urine and signed on to see if I could find anyone who knew why and saw your post. I drink gallons of water so it is not water. I do smoke, but do not drink beer so where is our simiilarity I wonder. Only thing different is that I have started drinking a new green tea. Do you drink geen tea? If not the tea and you smoke maybe it is something they are putting in the cigarettes recently. It does smell like tar I guess, but never before have I smelled this. I checked with urine test strips and everything was olk.
If you found out why, please post or email privately.
|

replied December 28th, 2012
Green Tea
Green tea definitely causes a strong, unpleasant urine odor. In my case, only a cup a day (Bigelow) was the culprit. So I went back to Folgers.
|

replied September 10th, 2005
Same Here
I have been having really bad back pains too, right around my hip area and about two days ago I noticed that my urine smells differant than usual. I dont drink green tea all that often, and I dont smoke, and I dont drink anymore. Ive had the back pains for about 4 months now. Has any of you heard from anyone about this?
|

replied December 11th, 2005
Urine Smells Like Burnt Rubber
I don't have anything in common with you all and my urine smells too.
|

replied December 11th, 2005
Urine Smells of Burnt Rubber-asparagus
:d
found out the burnt rubber smell is from eating asparagus. We're all fine!
|

replied January 10th, 2006
Urine Smells Like Rubber/tar
It is from eating asparagus - especially fresh asparagus. I don't know why.
|

replied January 13th, 2006
Not Asparagus
Well, all I can say is that its definitely not 100% asparagus, although that may be the culprit for some people. Men, check the smell of your... Um... Excitatory excretions, if it is very different after you eat asparagus and also when your urine smells odd, then you know the culprit. I'm not sure if the same thing happens to women. I get that funny plastic smell even if I haven't had asparagus in months, so we know that there are potential other causes, even if i'm just an exception to the general rule.

Also, do any of ya'll ever have really sweet smelling urine, like syrup or molasses? I've heard this is because of some genetic disorder, but you'd think that genetics would be 24/7, not occasional. Maybe i'm a freak for having interesting and different smells every morning.
|

replied February 28th, 2006
Sweet smelling urine can be a sign of ketoacidosis - which is what occurs for type 1 (insulin dependent) diabetics when their blood sugar is high. Diabetes mellitus literally means something like "flowing honey" in greek - guess what that refers too... So any type 1 diabetic (like me) will be familiar with fruity, sweet smelling pee, from times when their blood sugars run away on them and get too high.

Now I don't think it sounds like a sign of diabetes in you (if type 1 it would just get worse, you would feel very sick in head, very thirsty, excessive urination, lose weight etc etc) - and I gather ketoacidosis doesn't really occur much in type 2 diabetes - but I say still worth a checkup - a blood sugar test would take all of 20 seconds by your doctor (or a friendly local diabetic!)

the genetic disorder you mention is maple syrup urine desease. Http://www.Msud-support.Org/ it looks very nasty indeed, but I think you're safe as it first appears in the newborn!
|

replied September 25th, 2006
Urine Smells Like Rusty Metal
I know that this is a new one. No one has posted about this before. My hubby agrees with me about the rusty metal. This smell comes and goes and my urine is gold color. I have a bad spincter in my esophagus and it will not let water pass. I just vomit it up (waiting for the surgery to fix it) I do drink about 60 oz. Of diet coke a day because I am always dry because of sjorgens. I also have lupus and fibro and arthritis. I do have a rheumatoligist appointment this week so I will let him know, but i'm just curious if anyone else has experienced this
|

replied December 5th, 2011
Diet coke will KILL YOU - give it up!
for electrolyte balance ( thirst quencher) - drink room temp. water with squeeze of LIME, tiny pinch natural salt ( NOT processed - get mineral or celtic salt), and tiny pinch RAW sugar. Mix together and SIP to enable it to trickle through the comtracted sphincter. Try to reduce stresses in your life as stress causes constriction everywhere. Take deep, sloow breaths to chill out. Good luck!
|

replied February 26th, 2007
Burning Rubber Smelling Pee
My Urine has been smelling like rubber or plastic too. I drink lots of water, green tea, and eat asparagus. I really think the smell is from drinking green tea or other herbal teas. When I started drinking green tea is when I started noticing it. Also in the past I used to drink alot of coffee and that made my pee smell as well. It smelled like coffee actually.
|

replied May 20th, 2007
I don't get backaches or eat esparragus. I don't really drink a lot of water but I do drink a lot of coffee like my usual morning coffee. But my pee smells like burnt rubber. It doesn't happen all the time I.ve noticed when I have a few beers and no I'm not a heavy drinker lol is when it happens.

I should probably drink more water then lol
|

replied June 25th, 2007
Urine Odor Rubber
I have just noticed that smell and I did eat asparagus 1 week ago and have started recently drinking green tea.
|

replied June 27th, 2007
Pee Smells Like Burnt Rubber
I have recently (past year) noticed that more than occassionally, my pee stinks like burnt rubber or fire or some other weird abnormal spell... nothing in my life is different, but this stink is awful. As I said, it is not all the time, but I know it is not from asparagus of alcohol.. Any ideas?
|

replied July 18th, 2007
Re: Urine Smells Very Strong, Like Plastic, Or Burning Rubbe
phildeez247 wrote:
My urine smells very strong, like plastic, or burning rubber. I drink beer alot.Could this be a lack of water.Or is it something to worry about
Just like mel said it could be alot of things.I would have my doctor check it out if i were you.
|

replied July 27th, 2007
Asparagus
Wow, I'm relieved to hear that asparagus causes unusual smells. A few days ago, I made a rice dish with lots of asparagus in it. Around that time, I began noticing a really gross strong smell from my urine. The smell started becoming weaker until yesterday when I finished the leftovers. My urine is back to smelling bad. I'll definitely monitor it for a few days and not eat any asparagus during that time. Hopefully everything will go back to normal without the need to see the doctor.

I never would have thought that asparagus could be such an odor problem. Now I'm feeling a bit relieved. I realize that a worse problem could still be present, but I'd be surprised if it turns out to be anything other than the asparagus. Thanks everyone! You saved me some anxiety. The smelly urine problem scared me enough to visit this forum.
|

replied August 3rd, 2007
Liqui-gels?
I just switched to liquid-gel multi-vitamins about a month ago, plus I take a lot of other supplements that have the gel coating (I find them so much easier to swallow than tablets). Since then, I've noticed a plastic smell in my urine and am wondering if it is because of all the 'gel' encased oils and supplements I take? They look like little rubber pills...? Shocked
Thanks!
|

replied August 23rd, 2007
Urine Smells Like Burning Rubber
Those of you who know anything about antioxidants would also know that Green Tea is good for getting rid of impurities in your blood, kidneys,thyroid etc. Thats why there is a smell, that's the impurities and toxins that you smell leaving your body. The same goes for asparagus, it is a well known kidney-bladder flusher, drink the juice from the asparagus also, it's good for you! If you don't like the smell then spray a little Febreeze air freshener when you have to eliminate!
|
Tags: urine, bladder
Quick Reply