Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Beat Anxiety Without Medication (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
After my 1st anxiety attack I would pretty much not leave my bed without kicking and screaming that I was going to die!!! I was 10. After 2 yrs of this it was time to go to high school. I used to leave the class 1/2 way through a lesson to ring mum to get her to pick me up!! Until my mind went from how I was feeling to things like boys, dances, clothes, fitting in etc. I was cured. I still had symptoms but I could control them very well. When I was 22 yrs I had a relapse (after a stressful year) and I was a mess again, not able to leave my bed. My mum took me to the doc and he put me on meds that made me flip out even more than my symptoms were. He said I would never get better if I dont take them (cause of an imbalance in my brain or some crap) is said "wanna bet, I have beat this before" I thought to myself how did I do it last time it was that my mind was totally occupied. So I decided to start my on gymnastics business from scratch and it is now very successful thanks to my anxiety. My point is you cant think of 2 things at once. So if your mind is occupied all the time how can you think about how you are feeling?? Anxiety is a feeling like hot or cold, you can control it. You feed your symptoms the more you analyise how you are feeling. You need to get on with things no matter how bad you feel (and I know how bad you feel believe me!!!) but it does get better. When you feel horrible shake your head and said "im being stupid"and then just concentrate so hard on what you are doing. I have made up some relaxation methods with really helped me while being a prisoner inside my body which really helped, I would be happy to share them with anyone. Just remember it is all in your mind and that you can control.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile CarolineEF
|
Users who thank Fiona murphy for this post: nrelliott 

replied March 28th, 2005
You know what, the same thing happened to me, I was about 11 years old when I started getting panic attacks, they lasted until I was about 15, when I got into friends and fun I forgot all about them, they would strike here and there. Then when I was about 19 my family moved out of state, a lot of things were going on I became very depressed and started panicing again, so I do believe that it comes and goes and it is in your mind, but I am still suffering now since then and im 23, and its easier said then done to just start a business or just walahh make life better, my sister took medication and felt great, me I tried once and bugged out, everyone is different and I wish I could overcome it like you did, congrats! Some people arent as strong to fight it!
|

replied July 18th, 2012
I know that it's all about timing and taking it one step at a time. She has only summed it up in one paragraph that's why it seems so easy. Her point it seems is that she found a light and followed it based on what worked for her before. It's a journey and she embraced it.
|

replied March 29th, 2005
It Is As Easy
My biggest fear is vomiting. Im scared to death of it, I used to live with a nausious feeling 24/7. I wouldnt leave my bed just incase I threw up!!!!!! I would never leave the front door without someone dragging me. I couldnt eat incase I got food poison, I thought I caught a bug everywhere I went.(i have never actually thrown up due to anxiety). Your symptoms never go, you can just control them very well and they will not appear as much and when they do you know exactly what to do when they come. Like for me when I go to the movies, I sometimes get the feeling that I feel sick and I just shake my head and tell myself I am being stupid. You are a strong person you beat this when you were younger, so why not now? Cause you are older and can analyse what you are feeling so much better. This is actually feeding it. I remember this one time I was sitting on the floor saying this is the night when im going to get sick, I can feel it. I sat there scared to move until I said to myself it cant get any worse than this. So I jumped up shook my head and said "i am the healthiest, fitest person around" I went outside and walked around the block singing to myself, and telling myself, im fine and I feel fantastic. You know what? I felt 80% better. I then started knitting!!!!! That took my full concentration and at the end of the night it was the 1st time I felt kind of normal!!! It is as simple as that.
|

replied April 27th, 2012
Thank You!
I started having anxiety attacks in Febuary ever since I found out that we were moving into a new house. I was hard for me to sleep at night and it still is. Right now as im typing this, at twelve at night, I just can't sleep. I don't know what's keeping me up, I try to figure it out but it wouldn't work. Sometimes I would finally fall asleep, but only to wake up twenty minutes later with a racing heart. It bugs the crap outta me.

But I do believe about the thing you said that "It's all in your mind" and all I have to do is to believe that im gonna get a good nights rest and that im gonna sleep like a baby. Im trying the breathing technique and im covering my alarm clock light, and im trying to clear my mind but I always find myself singing a song I heard on the radio in the morning.

I just wish that these anxiety attacks would stop, but it looks like they're here to stay.
|

replied April 27th, 2012
I started having anxiety attacks in Febuary ever since I found out that we were moving into a new house. I was hard for me to sleep at night and it still is. Right now as im typing this, at twelve at night, I just can't sleep. I don't know what's keeping me up, I try to figure it out but it wouldn't work. Sometimes I would finally fall asleep, but only to wake up twenty minutes later with a racing heart. It bugs the crap outta me.

But I do believe about the thing you said that "It's all in your mind" and all I have to do is to believe that im gonna get a good nights rest and that im gonna sleep like a baby. Im trying the breathing technique and im covering my alarm clock light, and im trying to clear my mind but I always find myself singing a song I heard on the radio in the morning.

I just wish that these anxiety attacks would stop, but it looks like they're here to stay.
|

replied March 29th, 2005
Im not saying it's easy or that what you are feeling isnt the worst and scariest thing to go through. It is!!! But I want you to have hope that you are strong enough to get through it. For me the feeling that I will vomit is the worst symptom I have, so to make myself feel better, I needed to do something 1st of all to make myself feel hungry (cause how can I feel sick if im hungry??!!) so I made up this breathing technique: you get a digital clock. You breath in for 3 and out for 3. Every 10 times you do this the clock clicks over 1 minute. So after 10 times you do it, you look at the clock, a minute would have clicked away. If you do this for 10-30min you will find yourself relaxing and I always started to feel hungry!!! The trick was, I wasnt thinking about how I was feeling, I was counting my breaths and counting that every 10 times and then I looked at the clock and it would tick over. I didnt have time to think about feeling sick. That is the trick. Talk to yourself and tell yourself how great you fell and then straight away occupy your mind.
|

replied December 21st, 2011
Thanks Fiona
Hi Fiona. I have had anxiety on and off from the age of 10. My biggest worry was death. Last year I fell into depression for about 2 weeks straight because of it. I was scared out of my mind. I find that talking to people is a great strategy. Lately, I've been on break from school and I have nothing to do because my husband is at work and my son is at school. My heart pounds and sometimes races. I sometimes feel out of breath and I worry about death a lot. I am often paranoid about my son when he's not with me or he's sick. When I have pains or discomfort now and then, I often panic thinking that there is something terminally wrong with me even though blood test results are always negative. Sometimes it's maddening. I am glad that I had the opportunity to come across your post. I've been battling this anxiety all week and once I read your post, I felt so much better. This let's me know that I have the ability to control this disorder. I just want to say thank you. I was really losing hope.
|

replied April 8th, 2005
Panic Attacks..
I have anxiety..I agree with everyone saying that maybe if you keep your mind busy it will go away. I had it during the first years of high school then during junior and senior year I made alot of friends and went out and was enjoying life- no anxiety at all. Then after two years of college, I moved away from the life I use to have and now live in this very quiet and low populated area...Totally different from the big city I use to live in, san francisco. Recently I have been experiencing alot of anxiety and panicing....Im trying to keep myself busy. There is one certain thing I worry about, like my health. I have shooting pains in my chest, my breast, randomly and periodically...My doc says its acid reflux and for some reason I don't believe her........That makes me think of all the other things I might be. Anyhoo..Im undergoing tests for different things which relieves my anxiety a little...Especially when I get negitive results.
|

replied April 16th, 2005
I totally agree with you! Good for you! :d
|

replied January 31st, 2008
I had my first panic attack out of nowhere while I was driving about 3 months ago. Didn't know what it was...had everything checked by the doc and physically I was fine. Then I had another while driving and started to fear driving. Then I had a bad low grade one that lasted for 2 days while I was at home. I did not sleep that whole night until 7:30am.

Doc prescribed Xanax, Took it once and it worked wonderfully. Felt high for an hour and once that subsided just felt normal. But I didn't want to live life taking a med and knew it was addictive so I did not take anymore.

What helped me was getting educated. Read some books and realized how much of it is in your head as others have suggested here. It comes on when I don't want it to but I try to ignore it, stay busy, and always say in my head "whats worse case scenario? my heart beats fast, I get paranoid and then recover in 20 minutes??" and when I put it that way it doesn't sounds so bad. That in itself stops it. I think what worked me up the most in the beginning was worrying I was going crazy because I did not know what was happening to me.

It is a constant battle though. I do find I am getting better and better where sometimes I go a day or two without even thinking about it, but then other days I am pushing it down all day. I find its worse when I am at home all day with my 2 year old. So getting out when I feel it coming in is good. Go to the store, the park, whatever...get my mind onto something else. Or call someone on the phone and clean multi tasking takes up your mind. Chamomile tea also makes me feel better at night or taking a hot bath...I do this when my mind starts moving 100 miles an hour and I fear I won't be able to sleep. Also avoiding caffeine has helped too. I notice if I have lots of sugar and caffeine it comes on more.

The funny part about all this is everyone said in the beginning I needed to relax. But relaxing I have found is the worse thing to do if I feel it. Staying busy and having a lot on my plate works great, but you would think it has the opposite effect.
|

replied February 1st, 2008
Yeah, I see what you are saying about keeping busy, but at the same time, my anxiety comes on when I am very far from home or if I know that I will have to be away from home for a long period. My anxiety is the fear of being really sick or fainting, so I dont like being in an uncomfortable place where I feel like I wouldn't be safe if I was to start not feeling well. So I would like to run errands or somethign to keep busy, but sometimes that just brings on more anxiety about being alone in a store or something and passing out by myself. I have fainted about 8 times in the last 3 years and my doc agrees that it doesn't sound like the faiting is anxiety related, but they don't know I am more prone to fainting. So now I have created the anxiety and fear of thinking that every moment is the next potential moment that I will have another episode. Instead of just living life and dealing with the episodes as they come, I obsess about the possibility and don't really live my life because I am afraid of what might happen. I just wish I knew how to stop that cycle.
|

replied February 1st, 2008
Wow that must be so hard for you. At the beginning of my attacks I felt a similar fear about being afraid to leave because I might pass out somewhere. I never actually passed out though so your situation sounds more intense.

Well you can still talk yourself out of those anxiety feelings by saying "what the worse case if I pass out? A stranger finds me and people at the store have to help me" sure its not ideal but its not life or deal either. I read this book called Anxiety: Finding Strength in the Face of Fear. It taught me some technicques to self talk myself out of it the attacks. I also think seeing a professional to help you learn some techniques might be helpful too.

Just know that your normal....this is just something your body is doing on its own and you just have to find a way to work around it. Never stop seeking answers, if succumb to the fear it will ruin your life and no one deserves that!
|

replied February 4th, 2008
My anxiety began after graduating high school, life totally changed for me and I guess I didnt know how to handle it..so poof! my first anxiety attack came along. Some of my symtoms were the feeling of butterflies in my stomach to the point where I couldnt sleep when I needed to and also loss of weight. I am now 23 and I also agree that its all in your mind, try not to concentrate on your anxiety. Occupy your mind on activities, try to remember how life was like before your anxiety took over. You can become that person that you once were.
|

replied August 13th, 2008
i had this since i was little but i dont remember how young.. but i got it really bad during a very abusive relationship with my ex husband.. then i got better. so from about 20 to 25 i was a complete nimwit... then i just got better after fighting it and being on my own with 4 kids to feed. then it came back at 29 i am now 30 and still cant get rid of it.. cant remember how i did it before so if anyone knows any sure fire ways let me know.. it seems so much harder to beat the second time around.. has anyone noticed this? Rolling Eyes
|

replied February 2nd, 2009
Think your way through...
Sometimes the best approach is simply to sit down and think your way through your problems. One approach is to work out your thoughts and feelings and about the things that cause you stress and to test your assumptions and beliefs about them, especially where unhelpful or unrealistic. By trying out new ways of reacting you can essentially change your behaviour to something more positive and useful.

It's something you can do yourself, although the approach is also used professionally (it's called Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) - see Wikipedia for more). I used a similar approach many years ago to give up smoking,.

I hope this helps - a natural solution that just requires a little homework!
|

replied February 13th, 2009
it really is helping for me to read that i'm not the only one who goes through this. what's funny is i went through anxiety attacks when i was 18 for a couple of months after a bad experience with smoking marijuana. I smoked after that a couple of times and didn't experience another anxiety attack again until now. i'm now 27 years old. i'm goin through alot of stress and now my anxiety is the fear of driving myself crazy because of my stress. My worst fear is to lose my mind and end up in a mental institution. so my thoughts are always "am i ok? or did the stress drive me crazy yet?" so now this is making it hard for me to get over the anxiety and worry. anybody have any advice for me? I plan on seeking help from a professional because this is crippling my life. I'm afraid to get a job because i'm thining I might have an anxiety attack in public and embarass myself. what can I do to get my life back?
|

replied April 4th, 2009
me too!
I am so glad that I found this!! When I was a child I had an experience with anxiety..I was always afriad that I was going to die in my sleep or that I was going to sin and go to hell. I would constantly ask mom if my thoughts were sending me to hell. This lasted maybe 2 months and then boom I was fine. Now I am 20 and it is hitting me again! I struggle with obsessive thoughts about going crazy, or something happening to me that cant be helped. My family recently moved out of state (We are verrryyyy close) and my husband and I were seperated, it has just been a stressful time in my life. I started out having panic attacks, and when I had my first one, I had no clue what was happening and I was sure that I was losing my mind. It is the most horrible feeling! I am proud to say that I havent had a panic attack in at least 3 months. This is huge for me!! Especially with no meds. Dont get me wrong, sometimes I feel like im about to have one, but I simply lay down, do my breathing excercise and repeat to myself that I am okay and nothing is wrong with me. I basically talk to myself like a small child that needs comforting, and it helps. Sometimes I pray and tell God that I need strength to overcome this, and He never fails. God has really helped me sort my way through ALL of this...without him I wouldnt have made it this far. Also, something else that has helped is I talk to a therapist every 2 weeks. He is very reassuring and tells me that I am not crazy, I am just a normal person dealing with anxiety. It helps a lot to hear that from a professional!! Anyway, I know how you all feel, some days are much harder than others, but I do agree that a lot of this is all in our heads...which makes it that much harder. I guess my advice is dont let this ruin your life, get up every day and make the decision that no matter how hard it is or how scared you are, you are going to make your life worth living and eventually, it will get easier day by day. The more you lead a normal life and do normal activities, the more normal and healthy you will feel, at least thats my experience. Also having a good support system is so helpful. I have my husband and my mom who are there for me whenever I need them. Also, relying on Jesus to help me through has been the biggest thing. Just pray for him to give you reassurance and peace of mind....pray for strength, he will give it to you, I promise. NEver once have I prayed for God to give me the strength to get thru the day and be able to sleep at night, and then not been able to rest. Every time I pray that, I fall asleep and sleep well. Have faith! Its really hard to do, but believe me....step out in faith that God is going to bring you thru and he will. One last thing, I also take vitamin b6, b12 and fish oil every morning. My therapist told me this has the same effects as medicine...it just takes longer to work. He also said walking 3 times a week along with the vitamins is VERY beneficial, I have found this to be true. Just know that I know what everyone is going thru and I promise, you will get thru. Jesus didnt create fear, I recommend reading scriptures on fear, he doesnt want his children living a life of fear...so hand it over to him. Will it be easy from then on? not at all, but he will provide you with the strength you need. I PROMISE!!!!!
|

replied August 6th, 2009
To msroyalty25, you can defeat this. Don't let it control your life. Drugs that induce is gave it to you early, a cause. That is good. You can beat this. Fight it and don't stop. Don't think about it. It seems you haven't got breaks, I got it from the same way. I got breaks though. In about a year, and it comes and goes, but it is close to being GONE.
|

User Profile
replied August 6th, 2009
Thank you so much for saying this!
I've been trying to find a say to convince my friend that she can control it, all she has to do is to occupy her self and to just jump right in!
I didn't know how to say it in a sensitive way other than "just do it".
Thank you so much!
|

replied August 31st, 2009
I realized about 3 years ago that ALL those "episodes" when I was a child was anxiety. At that point I still didn't knwo what was going on & it had gotten so bad that I voluntarily admitted myself to the hospital! Now I know that I periodically suffer from moderate-severe anxiety. It peaks when, what I deem to be, major changes are going to occur. I can go weeks, even months, without any anxiety at all or just an hour or so here & there. Right now, I'm in the throws of a pretty major period of anxiety and battling not to go to the hospital again. I know about breathing techniques, they do help. I suck at exercise techniques, can't seem to motivate myself to do them. My biggest problem with all of this is when I feel good, I completely ignore the possiblity that it will eventually happen again. I stop going to therapy & stop taking the meds. I'm in a fair amount of mental crisis right now, but I KNOW IT WILL PASS. It's just very hard to get through when it gets this bad. Serenity prayer over and over and over and over... there is a light, I just can't see it right now...
|

replied November 5th, 2011
Hi

This is exactly my cause, when things are constant and decisions made and I kind of know where I am going its fine but when something different or new comes up that might effect my life or financial position or relationship I just panik It starts with loss of appetite then vomiting, i just can't control it .

I struggle to think at the time that I am ok and there is light I know I'm a capable person because I have dealt with things but whenever that Chang comes it ruins my life.

How do u deal with it
|

replied September 1st, 2009
If you or someone you love has ever delt with Anxiety you know first hand how disabling it can be to one's life living in constant fear.Often times those who recognize the symptems actually fear the medication itself hence leaving thier lives to spiral out of control. You do not have to give into anxiety but rather train your brain to do the opposite.It first time without medication and relaxation techniques was hard work but then when i started having major blips i resorted to medication because things have gotten so bad, still in early stages of starting the meds so will see if when it kicks in actually helps.
|

replied January 23rd, 2010
Re: Beat Anxiety Without Medication
HI,(i'm 20yrs old)
I'm new in all this anxiety and panick atack thing. Becazuze i had problems with geting short of breath in malls, while shoping with my girlfriend. And sometimes while driving car bored i would get panick atacks ,and now i have it almost every day. I like this post ,becauze you talking about ocupating your mind. I'm college student and what i saw while i'm in college i'm ok. And now i'm asking why? Becauze i'm busy.
Most problems i have is in normal every day life situations like grocery shoping or driving,or like my previous example shoping with my girlfriend for clothes,, First symptoms for me is THINKING THAT YOU'RE GETTING SICK
Secondly i starting breathing very baad, short breath, and while shakind, and then my heart starts jumping my arms gets cold and i ocupated by panick attack and thoughts wheni will be ok, or i need leave this place.
So if you just have some kindof thoughts what me or anybody like me or us do in simple every day life situations : SHOPING , DRIVEING, GOING OUT.
Tnax and good luck.
-questmark
|

replied March 2nd, 2010
Welcome to the Anxiety club - how I learnt to beat it!
Hi qestmark,
I first had an anxiety attack when i was 19 and it was such a traumatic experience, I really thought I was going to die! I didn't know why this was happing to me? I had the same symptoms as you whilst driving on the motorway, shopping malls,going outside, etc and sometimes for no reason at all!. After years of taking perscribed medicines that made me worse and in the end made me have a fear of taking them, I just thought sod it! this is really getting to me and now i'm going to beat it... What I had learnt over the years is that when i was busy, i wouldn't have time to think about panicing. Because in the past I was always thinking about feeling sick, dying, having a heart attack or brain tumor every minute of the day! - I soon realised that NONE of these were going to actually going to happen! and never HAD YET! so from that day on I started to get better, I'm not saying it cured me instantly, but each day I would think less about it and when i did start to feel an attack I would just say in my mind "oh well whats the worst than can happen, its not going to kill me" It would then soon fade and surely go. Dont panic and try to run away, this seems the easy option but if you do this you'll never learn to beat it!! (i know this can seem impossible at the time) Its all in the mind and anyone can do it, I did!
I am now 40 years old and might feel a bit of anxiety now and then, but IT DOESN'T RULE MY LIFE! like it did when I was younger. I have since met alot of people and friends who suffer from anxiety and have managed to help them to the point where they are now like me.. - enjoying life..
Hope this helps anyone who reads this - as i know how you are feeling..
Thx
Matt
|