Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Getting Pregnant Forum

What Does a Miscarriage Feel Like? (Page 1)

Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
Hi, I have never been pregnant, but I will be trying at the end of summer. I have generalized anxiety disorder and I want to know the truth about miscarriiages. What are the symptoms and is there a lot of pain? What does the pain feel like? Did you have to go to the hospital?

I know this might be hard to discuss, but from woman to woman I am truely curious and I think it might ease some of my anxiety. I always tend to stress over the unknown.

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper beccaliz
|

replied April 4th, 2005
I have had 2 known misscarriages. The symptoms I got was my stomach cramped and I began to bleed...Almost like a period but not quite the blood was slightly brown and had some clotting but hey you can get all the information on a misscarriage you want from that site I hope I helped you some.
|

User Profile
replied April 7th, 2005
Experienced User
Miscarriages are horrible....
I had one in december..
At first I had no pain just brownish spotting.. Then a few hours later red blood and then the most horrible pains I have ever felt. The pain are contraction in the uterus that are actually dilating the cervix to get the fetus/baby out. It is a horrible experience.. But dont stress about it cuz you never know that can cause a miscarriage. It is usually not the moms fault at all. But good luck!!!!
|

replied April 19th, 2005
Misscariges Feel Awful
Hi ive just recently had a misscarige I had a brownish discharge and a pain like period pains then 4hours later I felt a popping feeling in my stomach and ran to the toilet when I got there it felt like I was having a wee but I didnt need 1 that wasnt the worst part I felt my baby fall out of me and hemoridged in thehospital and colapsed for 4 minutes I was in the ward for a night with a drip in my arm because I had lost that much blood I wish that no 1 else will ever have to go through a misscarige ever but this is a crule world so good luck and just remember to hold your baby so close to your heart closer than any1 or any thing else and enjoy every minute of it
all the best
|

replied June 20th, 2005
Ive had 2 miscarraiges...And I also have anxiety...
Everyone miscarries differently...And its pretty common.
Usually, you know something is wrong...Like I stopped feeling pg symptoms at 8weeks...Just after I saw the heartbeat...So I went in for an ultra sound...And there was no baby anymore.
Some doctors will give you a d&c right away...Which involves anesthesia and just some cramping after.
My doctor believed in natural expulsion...It was painful, but she gave me percocets...And they worked. Alot of blood passed, like about 4 times more than your heaviest period...But it only lasted 4 hrs.

If you miscarry really early, you sometimes donet even know you were pg...You just think its a late period.

Whatever happens, its all worth it in the end. I have anxiety, ive had 2 miscarriages, have 1 gorgious son...And im going to try again.
So it cant be all that bad.
:d
|

replied August 26th, 2005
Hey,
i had a miscarrage it was like a really bad period. Alot of cramping. From the tissue and clumps passing. There was a bit of pain.. But, it hurt me more emotionally than physically. It just depends on how far along you were and all as to how much is involved.

Hope this helps
melissa
|

replied August 26th, 2005
Hey,
i had a miscarrage it was like a really bad period. Alot of cramping. From the tissue and clumps passing. There was a bit of pain.. But, it hurt me more emotionally than physically. It just depends on how far along you were and all as to how much is involved.

Hope this helps
melissa
|

replied August 29th, 2005
Experienced User
Ouch
Yeah, I had a miscarriage a year and a half ago. My nausia suddenly went away and my first ultrasound had no heart beat. The physical pain wasn't too bad.. I don't exactly suggest this, but I took codein and chased it with half a bottle of nyquil. Beleive me, I wasn't worried about waking up the next morning. But I survived. The emotional pain was much worse, you never really get over it, but you get better and better.
|

User Profile
replied August 30th, 2005
Supporter
I just went through a miscarriage in june. They all have different names... Mine was called a missed abortion. That's when you have fetal demise and it doesn't expel itself. I found out when I had an u/s at 13 weeks... No heartbeat! :cry: come to find out that the baby actually died 5 weeks earlier.
I had no symptoms of a miscarriage, no pain, no bleeding, nothing.
Right after the doctor told me I left the office and all I could feel was wet all down my legs... It was blood! So I went to the hospital the next day to have a d & c done.
|

replied November 28th, 2011
misscarge
Hey well I'm thanking I'm havin one now my bleeding is real bad and has been going om for 3 days lastnight I was bleeding bad it was running down ly leg. I'm have cramping like a period filling is this a missgagge
|

replied August 31st, 2005
Experienced User
Oh Michelle!
It breaks my heart every time I hear a woman say they went through something similar to my situation. I'm here for you if you need to talk. There are a few books that got me through my toughest times.
"trying again: a guide to pregnancy after miscarriage, stillbirth, and infant loss" by ann douglas and john r. Sussman, m.D.
"empty cradle, broken heart: surviving the death of your baby" by deborah l. Davis, ph.D.
And the bible.
|

Iam Sorry
I had one last year in march. I just started to bleed and that night I had really bad cramping and the next day I was fine but that night the cramps came back and strong. That night ifelt like I had to go to the bath room and I could fell the baby coming out it was the worst thing in the world. All iwanted to do was die. I wish the best for you.
|

replied June 28th, 2012
did you have to go to the hospital after a miscarriage
did you have to go to the hospital after a miscarriage
|

User Profile
Supporter
Beccaliz
Explaining to my 6 year old son why he wasn't going to have a new baby at christmas was really, really hard. He has been asking for a new baby for 2 years. He had a good cry that night and the next day he looked at me, and in amazement he comforted me with his words "mom, I was really sad when you told me the baby died, but then I remembered that I still have jordan(my 3 year old) and he laughs at my jokes." as much as losing my baby hurt, he made me realize how lucky I am to even have 2 beautiful boys. Some ppl aren't so lucky...
I really appreciate your reply and thank you beccaliz!
You're right, I don't think you ever get over it. I'm here if you want to talk too!!!
|

replied September 1st, 2005
Experienced User
Due Date
I'm actually still doing pretty well, but my baby's first birthday would have probably been 9/4/05 and my aunt-in-law just had a baby and is having her baptised on the 3rd. Part of me says "what! You should remember what happened to me and never plan anything around that time again" but I know that is totally unreasonable, but i've learned that during this time of the year I have to let myself be unreasonable and emotional or else I burry it and it comes back up at some later date, much stronger and more concentrated.
With my miscarriage I had no symptoms at all, just suddenly I didn't have night sickness, it's kinda funny b/c my mom never had morning sickness, only night sickness, and same with me. But I just felt something was wrong. And like I said the next day the u/s said no heart beat. I had the miscarriage at home.
I am not taking birth control pills for a while, I just can't bring myself to it right now. I'm also thinking I could be pregnant. But last month I had to positive hpts and then I had my period. But there were no clots :oops: and it was very short and my stomach was really irritated.
Last night when my husband was playing w/ my boob it suddenly hurt and then 10 minutes later something came out.. I don't know what, he did it again to see if it would happen again, nothing happened while he was doing it but again afterwards something came out, it was clear and kinda oily. I read on a website (i wish i'd saved the address) of hundreds of women who, though pregnant w/ a healthy pregnancy had negative preg tests up to the 6th month.
What worries me is another miscarriage, I think I could actually handle another miscarriage but it's still birth or premature labor that scares me to death. I know I can never know for sure that it's not going to happen, but I keep thinking that the longer I wait maybe the less afraid i'll be, but I don't think it's working that way.
|

User Profile
replied September 1st, 2005
Supporter
2 Positive Results???
You said you had 2 positive results right? You should definitely go have a blood test done. Some girls get their period even though they are pregnant.
About that clear discharge from you nipples.... It's normal! I have that every now and then. Don't worry!!!
Let me know how that goes...
|

replied September 2nd, 2005
Experienced User
Finally Told
Hey girls,
i broke down and told my husband about not taking the pills, he was upset that I kept it from him but the understood. I told him I really want to try for a baby and after really thinking it over he said we could start ttc in december. I think that's perfect timing provided i'm not preg now. I probaby wouldn't get pregnant our first try but I can hope.
I also wanted to share that after my miscarriage I began drinking like a sailor! It got to the point that I could drink 10 shots of any hard liquer on my own and not even puke. I've been sober for 6 weeks and that's why i'm finally having to face my feelings about getting pregnant. When it would come up in my head i'd just get drunk. I was wondering if either of you went through that.
|

User Profile
replied September 2nd, 2005
Supporter
Beccaliz
Congrats on your sobriety!
|

replied September 4th, 2005
Experienced User
Thanks
Thanks michelle,
it's so much better than using it to drown my feelings. I heard a quote on a support chat room. "for those who try to drown their sorrows, remember that sorrows can swim"
|

User Profile
Supporter
Did you find that encouraging? I like it! I have friends that like to hide from their troubles and it's so hard 'cause you never really know what to say. But I try to listen.

I'm glad everything is well with hubby and you. No marriage is perfect! As long as you have communication, you have hope. Good luck beccaliz, i'm sure you'll do well!
|

Experienced User
Thanks Michelle
Yeah, I found it very comforting and as long as I remind myself of that I don't drink. It's when I forget that drinking won't help and may even hurt that I want to drink again. My hubby and I are trying this month and then waiting until february to try again. The reason I wanted to try this month is b/c it's not really trying. I'm actually probably not going to be able to get pregnant, but I can hope. My baby would have been 1 year old today and I need that hope for this month. I'm so excited. I'm not drinking, i've lost 20 lbs and i'm eating right, I think it just might happen this month!
|

User Profile
replied April 4th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
oh my this stories are so sad to read..and to think that right here in this forum we can read of women going to the doctor to voluntary provoke a miscarriage because they don't want their babies...so sad..
|

replied April 12th, 2011
Miscarriage, a different point of view ...
I had two miscarriages, before giving birth to my beautiful daughter (who is now 19). In order to avoid depression, I was able to think of my miscarriages in a different light! I believe that while the human body is temporary, our souls live on forever ... so I believe that even though it took it took three tries to get my daughter, it was her soul working to be born within each pregnancy. And I believe that there was something that I needed to learn before her soul could be entrusted to me. I took a parenting class, I improved my diet ... I worked to be the best me that I could be. For me, too, having miscarriages has made me appreciate every second of every day that I have with my daughter, knowing how very precious and special her life is! I believe that it takes both sunshine and rain to make a rainbow ... our babies that are carried to term after a miscarriage are definitely our rainbows!
|