Medical Questions > Cancer > Leukemia Forum

Bruises (Page 1)

Must Read
Click here for basic info on leukemia, including diagnostic types and how doctors classify this disease of blood forming tissues....
Is leukemia inherited? Read here for more info on what causes leukemia and what environment risk factors or triggers you might avoid....
Leukemia can affect many parts of the body, including the organs of the cardiovascular and digestive systems. But what are the major symptoms of leukemia?...
Recently I have notices several bruises on my body and hands. ( I don't bruise very easily or very often) I don't know how I got them, and they haven't healed yet. It's been about a week, and they haven't even faded. I've heard this is a sign of leukemia... What do you think? Maybe i'm over-reacting, but i'm really nervous. Any help would be appreciated... Thank you.
-kae
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper bkdaniels
|

replied March 23rd, 2005
Bruises
Hey kae43, how are you doing?

Often fatigue is first noted. The only definate way to diagnose either form of leukemia is through examination of the bone marrow.

Chronic leukemia appears more gradually with symptoms sinilar to those of a cold, and progresses rapidly. Malaise also maybe a primary symptom.

The lymph nodes, spleen, and liver may become enlarged, painful, and tender. The crowding out of the red bloosd cells produce anemia and conciderable pallor.

Weight loss is common. Often the first symptom is discovered during dental work when prolonged bleeding is noted.

There may be a sore throat and night sweats. Later signs include a ropid pulse, joimt pain with feverish periods, and weakness.

Unexplained bruises that occur easily or for no apparent reason may indicate a bleeding disorder, especially if the bruising is accompanied by frequent nosebleeds or bleeding gums.

Bruises in elderly people frequently occur because their skin has become thinner with age. The tissues that support the underlying blood vessels have become more fragile.

Bruises typically take about 2 weeks to disappear. The treatment for a bruise is most effective right after the injury while the bruise is still reddish.

If the bruise takes up a large area of the leg or foot, the leg should be kept elevated as much as possible during the first 24 hours after the injury. A cold compress such as an icepack or a bag of frozen peas should be applied to the affected area for 20-30 minutes in order to speed healing and reduce swelling. Do not apply ice directly to the skin. Wrap the icepack in a towel.

After about 48 hours, heat in the form of a warm washcloth applied to the bruise for 10 minutes or so 2 or 3 times a day may increase blood flow to the bruised area allowing the skin to reabsorb the blood more quickly. Avoid aspirin because aspirin slows the blood from clotting and may, in fact, prolong the bleeding.

Best wishes,
|

replied November 3rd, 2012
Hello. Im a 13 yr old girl. I'v had 2 bruises appearing. One on my knee and one on my shoulder. I get tired and my muscles ache in my arms and a strange ache in my stomach. Im worried on what it is
|

replied February 6th, 2013
I hope you fell better. I'm a 13 year old male and I had the same thing happen and it when't away on it's own.
|

replied March 23rd, 2005
Thank you so much. That information really helped me a lot, and I feel a lot better now. I want to say thanks for such a quick response, with a lot of information.
--kae
|

replied April 24th, 2006
Bruises And Nose Bleeds
Hello I am new to this site, but wanted to know if I was taking too much aspirin- 325 mg per day, could that cause nose bleeds and bruising? And if I quit taking the aspirin, how long should it take to leave my system so that the nose bleeds and bruising should go away. (small bruises-not large-not raised.)
|

replied March 3rd, 2009
bruising
In response to the bruising, I’ve been using this stuff on my kids for a while that’s been working great. They both play soccer so they get cuts and bruises on their legs often, not to mention they’re just generally rough when they play. I was reffered to this stuff called bruiseMD (b r u I s e m d . c o m) by another mother at school. The ingredients are all natural and it works quickly so it’s a great bruise remedy. Hope that helps!
|

replied March 3rd, 2009
bruising easily
hi my name is samantha, im 23yrs old and i woke up 2 find a massive brise on my right arm it covers most of my arm. my arm is stiff and sore. i havent knocked or banged my arm in any way. Im always tied and im anemic, plus i have regular night sweats even when its a cold night. both my grandad and uncle died from lukemia. what shud i do?
|

replied March 10th, 2009
unexplained bruising
Hi My name is Tashina. I've been getting bruises on my legs(mainly thighs) after I work out or run. I don't know what that is about, bad blood? Could I be sick? I am starting to get them on my upper body now. Should I see a nurse or am I just a worry bug?
|

replied March 29th, 2009
Unexplained bruises
Hi im new 2 this site but was reading the first story about bruises. My son has been waking up with bruises on his body and im not sure where there comming from. He doesnt play rough and usually hes watching a movie or playin a game. Everyday i count them 2 check if some have gone away and instead the amount from the night before is higher this morning when counting i found some fresh bruises and well iv heard that some bruising 2 the body has 2 do with some sort of cancer. Im hoping its nothing bad and maybe im overreacting but id like 2 make sure im not wrong.
|

replied January 2nd, 2010
You should all get your amalgam dental fillings out of your mouth. They are 50% mercury which is bound by other heavy metals. Mercury is the single most non-radioactive substance on the face of the earth. Why do dentists continue to put it in our mouths?
Mercury has been banned in several European countries, Brazil, Canada and more and yet 48% of dentists still use it in their practices regularly in the U.S. Check out Dr. Hal Huggins website. Good luck!
|

replied November 8th, 2010
hi i have cancer and its hard but bruising is a symptom of leukemia and lsrg_21 you shouldtake your son to a doctor
|

replied February 23rd, 2011
Leukemia?
Wow um.I just recently got insurance bc I just got married for years I have been anemic and recently people in my class even notice the fatigue and bruises on my legs I have been developing since about last may.My pulse is almost always high I lay down at night and can still feel my heart racing,the dentist office did a oral cancer screen on me i was fine,but I bleed so much they are concerned bc its not a bacterial probblem they think its a blood prob and im scared,I have HPV and I'm not sure if that could be a risk too but Im in school to be an emt and my instructor even thought I needed tested and I dont know how its possible. cancer is veryyy common in my family everyone has died of it,but not until they are older and I am 22 and I am almost always pale and peaked and weak and every symptom-I have and I'm very worried I know I need testing.The question Im asking is can HPV contribute bc I had slight dysplacia (cancer cells) and they were removed and my dr said i still have hpv meaning just at risk for cervical cancer but that i should be ok and i didnt know if maybe leukemia and cervical cancer could be linked? maybe not? but my lymp nodes have been swollen off n on for months and months with a lil jaw pain not much but my arms hurt soo badly the joints that i want to cry i have to hold them and press up against the bed sometimes to ease it if i even can i thought maybe it was the weather but its worsend along with all the other symptoms right about the same time and i almost always seem to have a sore throat and cold that gets worse,almost always and the bruising i notice gets bigger on my legs and I just need some answers I didnt have health insurance for so long and now im just scared.
|

im in school to be a medic so i dont want to sound like a hypocondriac its just my mouth will bleed for no reason and ill get all disoriented and get random nosebleeds at anygiven time,any season.I usually wake up to them, along with big huge bruises all up n down my legs but now the coloring has changed to look grosser and darker and they get bigger,idk if anyone can kinda let me know that im not crazy thatd be great bc Im scared to go to the dr and they just think im crazy i honestly am the last to admit im ever sick but latley this is getting too much to ignore when I cant even get out of bed.
|

also my liver was severly enlarged as a child,no one could figure out why,we had the church pray and it got better,but I'm really starting to be very suspicious thinking there may be something going on with me, bc you just know when something isnt right. bc i wake up sweaty and crap and freeze and..alrighty now i just gotta shut up and suck it up andd go to the dr before my husband gets home from afghanistan.im just very scared like i said. sorry for my rant.
|

replied September 1st, 2011
bruised and confused
I have a lot of these symptoms for one my gums bleed all the time, for two im tired all the time, for three i have migraines at least... at least three times a month and for the last few months i have been waking up with large bruises from my shins to my wrists im easily disoriented im only 22 years old and i am secretly worried and unable to talk about it if i could get some advice i would be grateful,...
young and concernd
|

replied October 14th, 2011
Overnight Bruises
I do not have any health issues that I am aware of, but for the last three months or so I have been waking up with bruises. The bruises appear on my legs and my arms and they vary in size and color. They are usually small and either purple or green in color. I have no other unusual symptoms besides the bruises. At first I ignored them because I thought I was just clumsy, but now they seem to be literally appearing in my sleep. Does anyone know what this could mean? Thanks!

-Meg
|

replied October 14th, 2011
Overnight Bruises
I do not have any health issues that I am aware of, but for the last three months or so I have been waking up with bruises. The bruises appear on my legs and my arms and they vary in size and color. They are usually small and either purple or green in color. I have no other unusual symptoms besides the bruises. At first I ignored them because I thought I was just clumsy, but now they seem to be literally appearing in my sleep. Everyone keeps saying, "Well maybe you just bruise easily," but these bruises show up in places that I did not accidentally hit or run into something. Does anyone know what this could mean? Thanks!

-Meg
|

replied January 18th, 2012
Hi. I'm 62 and for the past several months I have found that my face bruises very easy - even when I wash my face a little too hard. The bruise goes away after about two days. This morning I woke with a super black eye. The bruise is about the size of a half dollar. Any suggestions?
|

replied January 18th, 2012
Hi. I'm 62 and for the past several months I have found that my face bruises very easy - even when I wash my face a little too hard. The bruise goes away after about two days. This morning I woke with a super black eye. The bruise is about the size of a half dollar. Any suggestions?
|

replied November 26th, 2012
Experienced User
I thinks this may be the effect of having a leukemia.
|

replied July 17th, 2013
bruises on my legs?! what do i do? they happen at night only?
i am on here because i have bruises up and down my legs and is it normal for me to be really sleepy after getting the bruises? i am only 11 years old and my mom was like," what do you do to yourself at night" and i tell her that i dont do anything. cansomebody please help me? I dont really want it to be leaukimia or anything like that. Sad and i dont hit anything the night before
|
12 >>
Quick Reply