Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Anyone On Nuvaring???

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
Hi there. Just wondering if anyone has ever tried the vaginal ring method of birth control called nuvaring. I have heard that it is just as effective as the pill only with fewer side effects (headaches, weight gain etc) due to the decreased level of hormones. It would be great to hear if anyone is using this method and what they think of it. Does it work? Do you find the side effects better than the pill? Does it really stay up there for the whole 3 weeks? Is is difficult to get out? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thx :d
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 3rd, 2004
Nuva Ring Great But Expensive
I have been on nuva ring for about 6 months and I love it. The first few weeks I was kind of paranoid and I kept thinking did it fall out?? But it never did. The only time it fell out is one time I was still on my period when I had to put one in and when I took out a tampon the ring came out with it, but thats understandable. But I really never feel it or even know its there. Sometimes I feel it during sex, but then I just take it out. It is not difficult to take out at all, as long as you are not squeamish about reaching up in there to get it. But its really great because you don't have to remember to take a pill at the same time every day...I used to be on the pill and could never remember this. Now I just have to remember when to take it out and put one in. The only drawback is it is expensive. My insurance doesn't cover it, I think because its really new or something. At cvs it costs me 45 bucks a month...Does anyone know of anywhere cheaper??? Let me know! Thanks!
|

replied March 13th, 2004
Cheaper Bc Options And Wal-mart
When I started the nuvaring, my health care provider gave me an enrollment form for bc options perscriptions plan. There is no monthly or annual fee. If you mail order through wal-mart you get 3 months for $95.50. Also, I have a question. I've been on nuvaring for 3 months and still no period. All preg tests have been negative. Is this normal?

Thanks!
Brooke
|

User Profile
replied February 16th, 2009
nuva great, depo better
I was on it for a few months about 5 years ago and really liked it, but like daisyduke said, it was $45 a month (I would have thought it had gotten cheaper by now) and pills were free from my clinic. One pill I took made me gain 30 lbs in a short time period which was really horrible. I've never really gained weight for 10 years so it really freaked me out. It went away though but that's why I tried NuVa ring. I didn't have the side effects at all. It did come out a couple times though. I think it was because I didn't get it in well. Be careful taking it out on purpose. Make sure that you get it back in within a couple hours because after a while your body won't have enough hormones to protect you. They give you instructions. I forget exactly but falling out for a minute is one thing but if it falls out over night that is different. I really don't think it accidentally comes out that much for most people though. I don't remember my period stopping but it is possible that it could.

I've been on Depo Provera (shot) and it's great. No period, my insurance covers it for free, and I only have to worry about getting another one every 3 months. I'd recommend it. I haven't had a period in 15 months! Whee! I'm switching to Mirena (IUD) though because I move a lot and it's hard to set up the shots and transfer my medical records. I'm hoping I don't get my period again while transitioning. By the way, it sounds like they are all about the same effectiveness. Good luck!
|

replied December 17th, 2009
so for that 95.50 option through walmart mail order do you have to have that prescription plan to qualify for that discount price. and if i may ask who is the provider of that?
|

replied March 8th, 2011
Depo, No!
I started out on the Depo Provera, and only stayed on it for 3 months. I bled EVERY DAY without fail, and I was a complete emotional WRECK the entire time I was on it!! I switched to NuvaRing, and I absolutely love everything but the price! But there is absolutely no way I am ever going back to the Depo.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
User Profile
Dr. Mitaly Pathak Agarwal
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul