Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Conditions Forum

No Period 5 Months After Child Birth (Page 1)

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
Hi

my wife gave birth to my son on the 4th of nov 2005. But yet she did not get her period. We always had safe sex and the pregnancy test was negative.

She's still breast feeding. Why is this delay ?

Should we consult a doctor for this ?

Please help

thanks in advance
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper fitandwell
|

replied March 23rd, 2005
Experienced User
It can often take some women months to resume there normal cycle after childbirth especially when they are breastfeeding, you can however still become pregnant again so don't give up taking precautions unless you want another baby so soon, if you are at all worried discuss things with your doctor or health visitor and i'm sure they will asure you everything is normal your wife's periods will return when her body and hormones are ready
|

replied March 23rd, 2005
I only signed up for this forum to post about a particularly bad dental experience, but felt compelled to post to you regarding your question...

My period did not resume until I stopped breastfeeding when my son was 15 months old. It is rare for it to be supressed for that long, but it does happen. It was like clockwork - I stopped breastfeeding, and my period was back in 3 weeks. This doesn't mean you can't get pregnant, but due to the depletion of estrogen (due to breastfeeding) it is less likely to get pregnant.
|

replied March 24th, 2005
A close friend of mine had a child in march of 2003, she was breastfeeding her for a year and no period. Two weeks before her daughters first birthday she found out she was pregnant. She had that baby in november of 2004 and is breastfeeding again and still no period. She is now taking birth control pills. Just be care full like the other person said if you are not trying to have another child right away. Sorry if I didnt help much, good luck and take care :o)
|

replied April 4th, 2005
No Period After Birth
Just wanted to say 'thanks' for the postings. I'm also breastfeeding my daughters for almost 7 months now and starting to worry about my 'no period' situation. I'll talk to my ob but I felt much better now after reading all your messages.
|

replied April 4th, 2005
No Period After Child Birth
I have had two children and breastfed them both and did not get a period until I finished breastfeeding. I have a girlfriend who had her baby the same day as me and she also breastfed and she fell pregnant 4 weeks after giving birth!! Apart from the fact that sex was the last thing on my mind after 4 weeks of having a baby, it obviously can happen that you fall pregnant while breastfeeding and not getting a period!
|

replied January 24th, 2009
periods
I have been breastfeeding for the last 10 months without getting my periods and then I reduced it to two times a day and noticed brown stain on my underwear, is that periods returning?
|

replied August 28th, 2009
I haven't had my period since c-section 7 mths ago Im not breast
I had my 1st baby boy on January 21, 2009, and it is now August 28, 2009 and I have not had my period since my c-section! My husband and I have been considering getting pregnant again, and life has been so busy I realized it has been 7 months since my son was born via c-section and I have not had one period since! I pumped in the beginning for less than a month but did not end up breast feeding, has this happened to anyone? I see it happens to people who breastfeed but what about those who don't breastfeed and don't get their period? I will make an appt. with my Dr. but hope someone can respond to my question, as I am concerned that I won't be able to get pregnant now.......
|

replied September 21st, 2009
My son was born via C section Jan 1, 2009 and it is now Sep 21, 2009 and I have not had a period yet. I breastfed for 3 months in the beginning, but have not been breastfeeding for the past 6 months and still no period. I talked to my OB today and they said to take a pregnancy test. If it is negative, they said not to be concerned. That I just may be someone who does not have a regular cycle anymore, even though I have always been regular in the past. LEt me know what your OB has to say. I am interested.
|

replied September 23rd, 2009
My baby is 10 months old and I am breastfeeding and have not had a period yet either. This is my third baby and I didn't get a period with my first child for 11 months, I got it back at 9 months with my second child and like I said, we're on month 10 with my third child so you just never know. I did breastfeed all of them until they were a full year old.
|

replied November 3rd, 2009
No periods
hey logansmom, same situation here, my son was born 1st jan 2009 and i breastfed for 3-4 mths and my periods had returned once and i got 2 cycles and boom then it was gone. My ob tried to kickstart it in sept but then again nothing. sailing in the same boat do let me know if u find anything.
|

replied November 17th, 2009
Its common not to get periods for some months after delivery. some may not get their periods even for a year so there is nothing to worry. And there is a belief that while breast feeding the child the chance of second pregnancy is less.
|

replied January 1st, 2010
I had my son aug 16 breast fed for 3 1/2 months no period and now having lower left pelvic pain any suggestions
|

replied January 5th, 2010
hi all Happy new year to each of you.
I had my son feb 20 2009 via c-section. 2 months after i had the BC injection and since that i bleed for almost 3 months. Since that no period and i am also still breast feeding.
Not to mention the intolerable pain where the scar is.
Still feels like it's ripping open, and the weight before i got pregnant i weighed 100lbs now i weigh 135lbs and cannot loose it. My relatives tell me i don't look fat i just look bloated.
|

replied January 14th, 2010
@ trinimama - you need to have that checked out! It doesn't sound right.
After my first son I was on the injection and breastfeeding and I picked up so much weight (so it could also just be that), but the scar should not be intolerably sore anymore? Some people loose weight when they are breastfeeding, others like me pick it up.

I had my first c-section in November 2009 while delivering my daughter and am now having what feels like the pains I used to get before my period comes and yet, no signs of a period whatsoever... I stopped postpartum bleeding after 3 or 4 weeks and nothing since. Anyone else having pain like this?
|

User Profile
replied February 2nd, 2010
No period after having a baby
I had my daughter in May 2009. I didn't breastfeed, and I have only had one period since having her. I'm concerned that something is wrong. I know I'm not pregnant, because I'm not sexually active. any advise?
|

replied October 8th, 2011
I HAVENT GOT MY PERIOD AND I DINT BREAST FEED AN ITS BEEN 7MONTH
IM GOING THRU THE SAME I HAD MY SON FEB 16TH 2011 AND ITS NOW OCTOBER 2011 I NEVER BREAST FED AND I HAD A VAGINAL BIRTH I STILL HAVENT GOT MY PERIOD I BLED AFTER HAVIG HIM FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS BUT NOTHING SINCE DOES ANYONE KNOW WHATS WRONG WITH ME IM KIND OF SCARED
|

replied February 8th, 2010
Be on the safe side
I am dealing with the same thing, I had a baby November 2009 and still have yet to start my first period post pardum. I naturally thought that I was pregnant, but I keep getting a negative pregnancy test. I had a pap smear done that came back abnormal, and now am being watched very closely for cervical cancer development. I encourage all women to have a pap done at their 6 week check up! Some practices give them and some don't, if you are one whose doctor does not, then I would request it, especially if you are not getting your period after an efficient amount of time.
|

replied May 7th, 2010
no peiod after 5 months
i have had a baby 5 months and one week ago ... i just stopped breast feeding about a week 1.5 ago and i still have no recieve a period... on adverge how long does it take till you get your first period back ?!
please answer ive been researching for hours!
ahah
|

replied May 7th, 2010
no peiod after 5 months
i have had a baby 5 months and one week ago ... i just stopped breast feeding about a week 1.5 ago and i still have no recieve a period... on adverge how long does it take till you get your first period back ?!
please answer ive been researching for hours!
ahah
|

replied May 17th, 2010
prolactin levels high
hi all im just 7 months postpartum and i breastfed for 1 month and still no period! i got bloods done and prolactin levels very high which can stop periods coming! my doc said this is normal not to worry. every1 is different it can take your body up to a year to get back 2 normal, anyway im still worried as i havent had a smear since i had the baby because doc says my period has to return b4 we can do that. any1 in the same boat did not having your period intefere with not getting smear test???
|
12 >>