Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Men And Birth Control

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
What happens when a man takes women's birth control pills, like ortho tri cyclen? I heard that it makes a man impotent... Also, that it's similar to what they use to chemically castrate men...
Thanks in advance for replies!!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Justin_Toronto
|

replied March 21st, 2005
Experienced User
Yes you're correct in both assumptions.

Birth control pills are estrogen and progesterone. The key here is progesterone. This will cause a man to stop producing testosterone and turn off production of sperm. He will need a whole lot of birth control pills for an extended period of time to become sterile though.

To chemically castrate a man they inject progesterone (depo-provera).. Which is the same injectable contraceptive given to women in place of birth control pills. They key here is the depo-provera has a long half-life.. (in other words, it is time released over an extended period of time.) the man will require injections for months to finally become sterile.

So yes, it is what they use to chemically castrate men... But liquid intra-muscular injection form, not pill form.

Hope you're not planning on getting revenge on an ex-boyfriend or something. :p

be safe,
justin
|

User Profile
replied March 21st, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
You should never take someone elses medication not only because it is against the law but it can mess you up and possibly permanantly and it can also kill you.
Sincerely,
sandy
|

replied March 21st, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Yeah, regular birth control wont do anything to a man. If they take it they may get sick, and if they take a lot of it they may get really sick but that is about it.

Yes, depo is what they use to try to get sex offenders to remain impotent, but this doesn't even work very well. They have to keep taking it and even then it only works for some men, not all.
|

replied March 22nd, 2005
Wow, thanks for the responses!
And, no, i'm not planning on doing anything for revenge :shock: !!
It was just one of those things I wondered about...
|

replied March 22nd, 2005
Experienced User
As hotasfrick mentioned, it's not totally secure. The reason is, there are other medications and health store supplements available to counteract the effects of injectable depo. Male and female fitness experts, bodybuilders, athletes, and supermodels are all aware of these as they benefit from these hormones to slim their body, gain muscle, and gain energy, all the while taking extra supplements to counteract the possibility of affecting sex drive, testosterone production (for men), and impotence. Simple supplements such as tribulus, tongat ali, hcg, or zinc are used for men. And if men use another female drug clomophene citrate (clomid) and taximophen citrate (nolvadex) used for inducing ovulation in women, and protecting against female sexual problems... The man's testosterone level will actually increase, and very effectively allow the use of depo.

So... Depo on it's own, will make a man sterile over around 3 months of injections. (typically how long is take for perminant sterility to set in). But with the use of other supplements it can be counteracted.

The more I browse this forum, the more I realize I know a lot of weird stuff... :/

j
|

replied March 22nd, 2005
Experienced User
< erased >
|

replied March 22nd, 2005
Experienced User
< erased >
|

replied March 22nd, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
But depo does not work on all men either!(wink) even when not purposely counteracted it does not always achieve the desired goal. It has failed several times among pedaphiles who were released among the normal and ended up raping, molesting, etc. Again. The dosage has to be right for the person and even then some people's bodies just fight it. Just as with depo used for birth control in women some women bleed the whole entire time they are on it in rejection, and others do not bleed at all. Everyone's body is affected differently with medications of any sort and unfortunately depo isn't the solution it was desired to be.
|

replied March 22nd, 2005
Experienced User
hotasfrick wrote:
but depo does not work on all men either!(wink) even when not purposely counteracted it does not always achieve the desired goal. It has failed several times among pedaphiles who were released among the normal and ended up raping, molesting, etc. Again. The dosage has to be right for the person and even then some people's bodies just fight it. Just as with depo used for birth control in women some women bleed the whole entire time they are on it in rejection, and others do not bleed at all. Everyone's body is affected differently with medications of any sort and unfortunately depo isn't the solution it was desired to be.

interesting, is there a study on this available? I would like to see why their natural testosterone levels were not affected and if they were taking something else to counteract this. I know quite a few men and women who take depo for other purposes... (mainly athletes for men, and women who are trainers or models) and have never heard of anyone rejecting synthetic progesterone, but they are also taking whatever other agents to counteract as I advise. But I would like a little more detailed analysis on this, I don't want to recommend anything to anyone if there is the potential their body will react unexpectedly.
|

replied March 22nd, 2005
Thanks you guys! I think I got more than I asked for, in a good way! And justin_toronto, I think it's ok that you know a lot of weird things. Now I know who to go to if I ever have wonders about anything else out of the ordinary! I love this forum... I just found it yesterday and i've been learning a lot already... And the question I had had more to it than I thought!
|

replied March 23rd, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Justin, I will look for you. I saw it on a tv show actually a couple of years ago, but can't even remember what it was. I will sure look though for you.
For all I know they have improved their knowledge and figured out how to make it work on everyone, or I could have misunderstood as it has been so long. But, I will try to find where I saw it and let you know.
|

replied March 25th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Justin
Ok. I looked for this info and amazingly there isn't much on it. I did find some sites that briefly stated that in studies where sex offenders were sexually castrated there was a 5% chance of them repeating their crimes instead of a 46% chance.
Another site said that men who are chemically castrated are still able to have sexual intercourse (which is used in fighting the people who say that chemical castration is unconstitutional). There sex drive is decreased as the testosterone levels are decreased, but they are still able to have intercourse and some still will repeat there crimes.
If you go to yahoo and type in chemical castration and then chemical castration effectivenss, the sites I went to are all in the top ten on the first page. Most say only one or two lines, one was a legal document (which had most information) and then there are a couple others. I didn't spend very much time looking as I am tired, but that is what I found so far.
If you want me to I will look further tomorrow, just let me know.
I didn't find anything that stated how these men are able to still get an erection and have intercourse, or why it doesn't work on all of them, all I found was those statistics.
|