Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

My Skin Is Sensitive to the Touch-why?

Must Read
Learn the basics about skin health, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a skin disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for various skin disorders....
The skin on the back of my leg from the top to the knee is so sensitive to the touch- no rash, just a weird feeling , like a rug burn. Any ideas as to what this is?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper mrzigz
|

replied March 19th, 2005
My Skin Is Sensitive to the Touch-why?
Hey kookie, how are you doing?

Here is a list of disease or disorders associated with pin-and-needles sensation (tingling):

pernicious anemia: anemic symptoms plus general body pain sore, red, beefy tounge, weight loss, jaundice, pinns-and-needles sensation in hands, feet, and elsewhere, nausea, difficulty walking, impotence or frigidity.

Diabetes: excessive hunger, thirst, and urination, numbness, pins-and-needles sensation in the extremities, weight loss, leg cramps, skin and vaginal infections, weakness, fruity breath, blurred vision, red, sore, dry tongue, impotency.

Primary aldosteronism: fatigue, muscle weakness, numbness, tingling, excessive urination, thirst.

Vitamin b1 (thiamine) deficiency: loss of appettite and weight, prickling of numbness in the extremities, emotional instability, alarming palpetations, difficulty breathing, swelling and fluid in tissues.

Best wishes,
|

replied April 29th, 2005
Experienced User
I had the exact same thing on my shoulder it was siadica, stress related it was.
|

replied August 10th, 2009
sensitive skin
I have an area on the top of my leg in the front that feels like a sunburn when touched. There is no redness or swelling just that strange feeling. Is that stress related?
|

replied November 6th, 2009
side of face sensitive to touch
the side of my face is sensitve to touch all the way up o the side of my head i am a stresser like i have panic attacks just curious if this is another sysmtom is it reall bothing me , i do have a widom tooth infected and am taking penicillin v no im not allergic , but could this be the cause of the sensitive skin it is almost painful like i shoudlent be touching type of feeling
|

replied February 4th, 2010
My right leg, from my buttocks to the bottom of my foot is very sensitive to the touch. I have noticed this sensation for the past 4 months now. It comes for about 3 or 4 days and then goes. It happens about once a month. There is no rash, no bumps or visable discoloration. I called my family doctor who referred me to a neurologist. I have my appt next week. I will make sure and updat you all! Best of luck and best of health!
|

replied June 24th, 2010
skin sensitivity
Kouklamoo22---what happened with your appt? I just started having this problem too and I have found several people with the exact symptoms but noone ever updates. Did you get a diagnosis and has your symptoms improved?
|

replied July 2nd, 2011
same feeling on leg from top to toe!
ive got the same problem kouklamoo22 and 88fan!!
its so sore and very annoying! did you guys get help?
|

User Profile
replied October 25th, 2011
pain in leg
I have the same problem on my left leg, from my pelvis to my ankle. It feels like someone is taking a broken shared of glass and running it over my leg. or like a sunburn it hurts to even have my pants lay againts my leg. I wish i knew what it was, it comes and goes.
|

replied March 16th, 2012
"Fibromyalgic-like" pain
I too am having the same symptoms - from pelvis to my heel - feet numbness, tingling, and sore to touch. It did start under the buttocks, but now feels like it contains my pelvis area.

I would love to hear what the neurologist stated.

I've always had skin sensitivity around my menstual cycle so I assumed it was that, but it is progressing and this time it actually made me cry with pain. I've talked with my doctor several times about swelling, increased pain and she said, "We all have pain." I'm 37, active, and eat healthy so I found this very discouraging.

Anyhow, I'm a little concerned it may be fibromyalgia - as I see this complaint often in the hospital. But I don't have the other symptoms.

I've also considered this may be "referred pain" because currently I have another minor health issue. I haven't had it this severe since an operation in the past - where the operation caused severe pain from my elbows to my wrists.
|

replied September 15th, 2012
I have seen lots of symptoms on here but no answers....
I have recently started with really sensitive skin at the tops of my legs on the back downtown my knees.. Aching and really uncomfortable and have been taking pain relief it's that bad..
I have a docs appointment Monday morning so fingers crossed I get some kind of direction. If I do I will let you know. Take care x
|

replied May 5th, 2014
Sensitive to the touch!
Everything you all have said is what I'm experiencing. I used to get that rug-burn feeling right around my periods but since I no longer have to deal with those and STILL get that ultra-sensitive, annoying feeling in my thigh all the way down to my foot, I've made an appointment later this month with the neurologist. I fully expect to be told that it is some idiopathic form of neuralgia and to take advil and wear loose pants. Hahaha. Maybe I just saved myself the $40 copay to self-diagnose. Anyway, I'll post my results.
|