Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > High Blood Pressure and Hypertension Forum

High Blood Pressure- All of a Sudden

Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....
I'm a white female, 33, normally healthy, exercise, average weight and always had normal blood pressure. Then at one appointment it was very high and has been ever since. What the heck could this be from? What sort of meds are available for this, and what are the side effects/ conditions? Any info would be great!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper BADSAL
|

replied March 18th, 2005
Experienced User
It's possible it's genetics too.. My mom had the same problem, although for her it shot up in her late 40s early 50s. She had low bp for most of her life, and then all of the sudden it shot up. My grandmother was the same way (which means i'm doomed probably!). As for the meds, i'm sure there are several out there that you can either research online or talk to a doctor about.
|

replied April 5th, 2005
I wouldn't worry about it. 95% of health problems are lifestyle rather than genetics, and thats a fact. My father has had high blood pressure for over 20 years, and he just got off all his medication 2 months ago. It had to do with his diet.

Hope that helps.
|

replied April 5th, 2005
Experienced User
I guess what really freaked me out was that it was always normal for years and years.....And then boom all of a sudden it was sky high....And I had no changes in my lifestyle.
|

replied April 5th, 2005
Let me re-word my statement. Basically, you can get ride of the high blood pressure (no drugs or meds).
|

replied April 6th, 2005
Experienced User
And your suggestions are???
|

replied April 6th, 2005
Experienced User
So it isn't true that you know a way to stop it "without" medication. It may not be a precription med but it is still drugs that you are trying to sell me, right. Don't come on here trying to sell your company......
|

replied April 6th, 2005
I'm trying to help you out here and now your attacking me when I haven't even said anything yet.

You're an email away from learning something that would help you like my father. So I hope the best for you.

God bless.
|

replied April 6th, 2005
Experienced User
Sorry I just don't like that fact that you say no drugs or no meds but on the website that is what you are trying to sell.......
|

replied April 6th, 2005
Experienced User
Ok sorry- I just looked over the website better and there is some great info and products. I apologize for being rude before.
|

replied April 18th, 2005
5'2 Female 120 Pounds And Active
I was in shock a couple of weeks ago when my dentist indicated that my bp was 170/105 and it was too high for him to clean my teeth. :(

i went to the doctor and she took me off of my over the counter drug I was taking sometimes prior to working out. I return to her over 5 days later and was placed onn benicar 20mb/12.5mg. My husband check my bp 2 days later after taking a pill a day and it was 120/78.

Since I had recently lost weight and had been working out for some time the doctor felt that the only other option for us to try was to stop taking birth control pills.

Next month she will take me off of the bc and benicar and we will see how my body reacts to this. I was surprise to her her say that high blood pressure can occur in some women taking birth control pills.

I wish you luck.
|

replied April 19th, 2005
Experienced User
Please keep me posted. I've very interested in hearing what you find out or any conclusions you come up with. I too was talking birth control pills and was told to stop. Mine was still high even after I stopped, but it was only like two weeks after stopping taking the pill.
|

replied April 19th, 2005
Young Female Women With High Blood Pressure
I will keep you posted. Meanwhile, I wonder why your doctor is not suggesting medication if it is consistently too high. The medication can at least lower and stabilize until you can figure out what us you could do to achieve your normal bp without medication.

I've been reading about some of the things that it can cause so be careful with it. This scares me because i've never had any medical conditions previously.

Take care and again I will keep you posted.
|

replied April 20th, 2005
Experienced User
I am taking medication now for it.
|

replied May 1st, 2005
Experienced User
badsal wrote:
please keep me posted. I've very interested in hearing what you find out or any conclusions you come up with. I too was talking birth control pills and was told to stop. Mine was still high even after I stopped, but it was only like two weeks after stopping taking the pill.

birth control doesn't cause high blood pressure so going off it won't lower it.. But birth control does give you a higher risk of blood clots and vascular problems which can be a bad mix if you have high blood pressure.
|

replied May 1st, 2005
Wakkochic17 wrote:
Quote:
birth control doesn't cause high blood pressure so going off it won't lower it..

u are not right about this.Some of the oral contraceptives(particularly containing the ethinyloestradiol and levonogestrel) can cause the high bp in the following way: oral contraceptives--->increase of the renin--->increase of the angiotensynogen2--->increase of the angiotensin2--->increase of the blood pressure.The high bp appears particularly in the long-term consumers of these pills.
|

replied May 23rd, 2005
5ft 2" Female 120lbs And Active
Hello.. I am suffering the same high blood pressure,around 170/180,with around 90 on the bottom.....I am a musician with a laid back lifestyle,maybe too laid back...Is your b.P still high? I want to try your medication
|

replied May 24th, 2005
Experienced User
Mine is fine now with medicine. Still no aswers as to why. I had blood work done and go in to the Dr. Thursday. Maybe i'll find something out then.

I took birth control pills but stopped them and my blood pressure remained high.
|

replied September 20th, 2012
31 year old female sudden onset High Blood Pressure
Hi I am 31 Female 5'7 170. I have always had great blood pressure, the kind where the nurse nods, smiles and says wow, your blood pressure is great!
Suddenly a few days ago it started spiking and has not really gone down. I feel awful even when resting. When it is really acting up I feel like my rib cage shrank and have a hard time breathing deep. I get a seriously wicked headache. I was scared enough to go the ER on Monday. All my heart test are fine, lungs look good. I did have a abnormal clot test but my CT scan was clean. I had a stress test and my BP was quick to get up there but everything else was fine. I am not stressed, or pregnant. The only other change I have been dealing with is excessive urination over the past few weeks. That is really the only other thing that is new. Does anyone have any advice on what else I can ask the doc to test. I do not take Birth Control or any other daily medicine. the highest it has been is 190/105 with the average around 147/89
|