Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

Quit Smoking Now Have Phlegm On Throat

Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
Hi I recently quit smoking (6 months ago) I now feel phlegm on my throat. When I talk during conversations I can feel myself getting hoarse. When I cough the phlegm off my throat it is sometimes greenish. What is this? Thank you in advance
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 17th, 2005
Phlem --
Hi howard, I quit 12 years`ago and have noticed the same as you. I have a hoarseness occasionally and clearing my throat helps sometimes but not always. My doctor just looked at me like I was making it up.
I have no clue but I do know that whatever it is , it cannot kill ya!
|

replied March 17th, 2005
Throat Problems, Can't Sing With Clear Voice
Thanks jophil28, it wouldn't be that much of a problem except that i'm a singer and that was one reason I quit to clear up my voice. On pass times of quitting I would notice in a few months that my voice would clear up. I'm still waiting.
Could this have anything to do with acid reflux? I have had noticable indigestions and heartburn.
|

replied March 17th, 2005
Phlegm And 'frog'throat' -
Howard I am sending you some info tonight - regards, john.
|

replied March 20th, 2009
im new to this
hi ive been off the ciggies 3 days now been a smoker for 20 years and tried many times to quit.
im starting to find my throat filling with phlegm and i have a slight cough which they say is normal. i should never have started the filthy habit feel my last 20 years could have been put to better use other than been held prisoner by cigarettes. reading various peoples comments and id just like to say thanks for any advice.
|

replied September 30th, 2009
Your body is getting rid of all the inflammation that was in your lungs due to smoking. You will cough up brown/gray mucous for a little while until it all clears out of your lungs. The time it takes can vary depending upon how much you smoked and for how long. Acid indigestion can cause a cough if you have the symptoms often and your throat is irritated but not usually phlegm. The acid will dissolve any mucous that is there anyway. Drink a lot of water to thin the secretions out, for singers there is a product called slippery elm and it comes in lozenges, can be found in a health food store, it is basically aspirin that comes from tree bark. Many opera singers use it to reduce inflammation in the vocal chords and preserve their voice.

Your body will take time to heal itself and consider the fact that smoking causes your cells in your lungs to change from epithelial cells (that can secrete mucous and have little hairs) to squamous cells that are basically scar tissue. If you have the squamous cells already it will be harder for the lungs to clear out the mucous and it will take longer. Good luck!
|

replied March 29th, 2010
Help me save my vocal chords please!!!
I have been smoking for like 5 years now and can notice a big difference in my singing voice. If I don't smoke for a day or two it is strong again but when I smoke, it sounds airish and cracky. What can I take to heal my vocal chords again???
|

replied December 6th, 2010
Hii im 14 and i've been smoking for 5-6 weeks properly and i've decided to quit but my left tonsil and i got a bit of flem..
my mum said its normal appently its called
'the smokers cough'
and she said it will take a few weeks on depending how much i've smoken a day when i with my friends i smoke 10-15 a night.. but thats only one day of the week usually i smoke two in 4-5 days i dont really crave, i just relised what i got my self into.. so i've quit but hopefully its normal (: .please say good news, thanks if you get baack
|

replied March 18th, 2011
Lumpy throat
I'm a singer and have very bad phlegm ... terrible cough at the beggining of quitting and now have big problems with my voice. I'm seeing a voice therapist and drinking a chinese remedy for it... but i want something else for the phlegm ... please help ... feels like a lump in throat when I talk
|

replied March 14th, 2014
How long does it last if I been smoking for 4-5 months only
|

replied April 3rd, 2014
It's all nanny-state garbage
I gave up smoking years ago (it was never a heavy habit) but still suffer the phlegm issue when I sing, whereas I never did before I quit. I even listened to old tapes of me singing when I was a smoker, and my voice was definitely better and more open then, whereas now I'm irritated by the sound of it. I suspect much of the advice for singers to stop smoking is pure propaganda from sympathiser of the anti-smoking lobby. Consider many vocalists who were/are smokers, such as Frank Sinatra, The Beatles, Matt Monroe, Graham Bonnet, Jim Morrison, Nat King Cole, Dusty Springfield, Madonna, James Hetfield, Enrico Caruso, Adele, etc. etc.

I can't go back to smoking due to the horrendous price, and the fact that I now find the taste thoroughly unpleasant. I could have turned to the occasional menthol cigarette but now the damn EU is about to ban them!

Okay, so you can give up smoking, live longer, and end up in a nursery home or cared for by your children as you see out your last days with dementia and/or physical disability, or you can live a shorter, more enjoyable life with a better singing voice, and still have your marbles when you finally cop it.
|
Quick Reply