Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Protein In Urine

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
I just recently went to the Dr. For a bladder infection. After taking the test needed the Dr. Came back and said he was very worried since my protien count was at a 4. He said some times when you have an infection your protein count will raise but not at such an extrem amount. What can cause this and what do they do for it, I have to take back another specimen in this friday. Thanks for any help. Pam
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 15th, 2005
Experienced User
Such a high protein count is usually an indicator of kidney problems.

The kidneys’ primary function is to maintain the fluid balance in the body and to excrete unwanted soluble chemicals. While doing this, the kidneys must conserve other important constituents circulating in the bloodstream.

Although healthy people do pass small amounts of protein in the urine normally, above a certain level suggests that there may be damage to the filter mechanism (the glomeruli) or inflammation. A second source of protein in urine is blood that may come from any part of the kidney or urinary pathway.

You could have a kidney infection. (glomerulonephritis). What causes it can be any number of things... Improper diet, excessive alcohol, age, genetics, etc.

What is done depends on what the actual problem is. It could be medication, it could require a kidney transplant, or it could be nothing at all.

Don't worry yourself too much until the tests come back and go forth from there.

Justin
|

replied March 15th, 2005
Protein In Urine
Thank you justin, you have put my mind at ease. Yes I did have a kidney infection and there were high levels of blood in the urine to the point of some clotting. Pam
|