Medical Questions > Nutrition > Atkins Diet Forum

My Metabolism Sucks

I exercise a lot (burning 500-1000 cal per day) and I still can't lose weight! I think I have a really bad metabolism because I used to throw up food and skip meals. Even when I eat the slightest amount, I feel like I just overate and my stomach hardly feels empty and I feel obese....Even after burning 700 calories. And I don't overeat either, I counted that I ate 1000 calories last night and yes I also burnt 1000 the same night, so why did I gain weight in the morning? This irritates me so much! Could anyone help explain this? I am 18, bmi is about 23-24.

Ps. I don't think it's muscle weight because my excercises include mostly walking, running and biking.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 15th, 2005
Experienced User
Metabolism is a very changeable thing. Yes, throwing up & starving will slow it down but not permanently (that happened to me for awhile). Overexercise can slow it down too. The best way to stoke your metabolism is to eat frequent, small, balanced meals of protein & complex carbs (lean meat & whole grains, for instance) & to exercise regularly but not excessively. I do yoga & walk for half an hour at a time. I don't count calories because my body burns up whatever I eat. You can do it, too, oh, and some foods raise your metabolsim~ green tea, for instance. Good luck!
|

replied May 4th, 2005
Experienced User
Wow, Kinda Scary
Hi ladymarmalade wow your post really got me thinking. I make myself throw up and skip meals sometimes, will this really affect my metablosim? I'm scared that I might gain weight.
Well I read on this site teengrowth.Com that metabolism does change after and ed so that might be the problem. Sorry you feel this way, have you checked out the eating disorder forum? They may have answers for you too.
Take care
|

replied May 8th, 2005
Experienced User
I just read an article on boosting metabolism. Here are some hints:
*make sure you eat enough! If you go below 1200 calories a day, your system slows down & thinks it's starving & holds on to every calorie.

*avoid sugar & processed foods & load up on good foods like lean protein (fish, turkey, yogurt), good carbs (whole grains, fruit, veggies), good fats (nuts, seeds, avocados).

* get enough sleep (6-8 hours).

*do muscle building exercises. Muscle burns hotter than other tissue.

*try green tea. The caffeine will speed your metabolism but it's also good for you unlike coffee or coke.

Good luck!
|

replied October 23rd, 2005
There Are a Bunch of Good Metabolism Boosters
I have the same problem as you. I eat normally and get excercise when I can yet I seem to always gain weight. I also came to the conclusion that a slow metabolism is to blame because I have friends and co-workers who seem to eat at mcdonalds every day and never gain a pound. I have found that the only way for me to lose weight and keep it off is to eat less calories than a "normal person" and to use a metabolism booster. At first I just took a fat burner/metabolism booster everyday and that worked to get my weight down but I didn't like having to take the pills every day.

So what I did is replaced one meal a day with a high protein meal replacement shake and then continued to take the a fat burner metabolism booster everyday while I lost 50lbs. Then I stoped taking the fat burner metabolism booster and just kept replacing one meal a day with a shake and I was able to maintain my weight at 130-135 (i am female 5'6). Meal replacement shakes are powdered shakes that taste like chocolate or some are vanilla or peanut butter. You make them by buying a shaker cup (cups are like $5) in which you add cold water or skim milk and then add the powder and shake. The shakes are really good when you make them with skim milk but they are pretty tasty when made with water too. The shakes have only 200 -300 calories and have tons of nutrients and protein so they give you a lot of energy and replace a meal which would have probably been 800 or 900 calories. The shakes are specially made to be very filling so you are not hungry afterwords either. You can also make the shakes using ice, cold water or skim milk and a blender (this makes them taste almost as good as a starbucks frapaccino) but this is too much work for me.

Anyway replacing one meal a day with a filling and low calorie shake seems to be the only way I can maintain a healthy wieght. I also recommend vpx redline and or san tight as good metabolism booster fat burners. For protein shakes, I like labrada but natures best isopure shakes are also very good. For days that I am unable to mix up a shake, I drink vht extreme smoothie which is a meal replacement shake in a can. Anyway, I know this is a lot of information so I put links below to where I buy these products online. I found that online was way cheaper than gnc and also had a better selection. The place I buy online is not fancy but they are really friendly if you call them with questions and they have really good prices. Good luck with your weight loss- its totaly unfair that we have been cursed with a slow metabolism but the good news is that there is something we can do about it!

|