Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > First Trimester of Pregnancy Forum

Chest Pains During Pregnancy

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Im 12 weeks pregnant.
I had chest pains in the middle of my chest for a full day. It hurt to breath. This was not a sharp pain but a very heavy feeling pain. It did not burn like heartburn. It finally went away after about 24 hours.
Should I be worried??
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper KPETERS30
|

replied April 7th, 2005
Me Too
I'm 13 weeks and i've had them all day today and it scares me. Have you found out anything?
|

User Profile
replied April 11th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
I'm not sure, but it could be that your uterus is puching upwards and expanding, which would make it hard to breathe...Make sure you talk to your doctor!
|

replied October 4th, 2007
Chest Pains
Im 14 weeks and I am suddenly having chest pains ( like my rib cage is being pulled down and tight pains in my chest all day) I am scarred and worried at the same time why could this be happening when I laugh it starts to hurt worse and I am Very scared what can I do to prevent this
|

replied June 25th, 2009
if you are having pain that is lasting all day long then most likely it is just the rush of hormones. as levels of estrogen get higher this makes it more difficult to breath and may cause some heavy feeling in your chest. however, if your pain is shooting pains and is accompanied by pain in your left arm, dizziness, or fainting; then you need to be worried. call your ob and proceed to er.
|

replied November 19th, 2009
Chest pains during pregnancy
I had terrible chest pains the other night with lingering pains the past couple of days. It felt like I was having a heart attack. Like an elephant was sitting on my chest. Just the past couple of days it just gets thight when I lean over and get up fast. I called my nurse the next morning and she didn't seem concerned. She said that if the pain continued to pay a visit to my internal medicine doctor. She also said to take a couple tums and if it helped it is probably just gas or heart burn. They did help! When my mom gets heart burn her chest gets really thight also. My advice is to take tums and if that doesn't help you might want to contact your general physician. I am only 14 wks pregnant and my nurse said it most likely wasn't pregnancy related. Although I have never experienced this before the pregnancy. (?) Hope this helps...I know how scary this can be!!!
|

replied January 25th, 2012
chest problems
Hi
Maybe you should get some one else to look at you I have the same problem went to the clinic and got no joy i am seeing a cardio dr tomorrow i think thats the safest way to go
good luck!
|

replied December 6th, 2009
i have had the same pain it comes and goes sometimes lasts for few days,its in my left breat like a sharp pain and i keep burping alot shoul i be worried
|

replied January 20th, 2010
Pains in chest and back
Hi guys, My pain comes and goes, its a feels as though I have a ton of bricks on my chest, if i try to eat, the pain increases a little, the pain as also developed on my back, just above my bra line, are these pains due to the pregnancy or what?
Im a little scared, I have consulted doctor, and thinks its nothing to worry about.
|

replied September 4th, 2011
Hey I'm nearly 9 weeks pregnant and experiencing the same thing i spoke to my mother who had similar things happen and she said it just your lungs expanding to deal with the extra blood flow from the baby and that it makes it feel like short of breath, hope this helps
|

replied October 4th, 2011
chest/heart/abdominal sharp pains
Hey, its my first time being pregnant. I'm twelve weeks and am having the worst chest pain, right in my heart area. I'm also having pains in my left abdominal area. And when I stand up my pelvic area hurts. I'm not bleeding but the pain is excruciating. Please let me know what it means. I'm really scared and nervous but don't wanna sit in a hospital waiting for 3 hours for them to tell me its normal
|

User Profile
replied December 5th, 2011
Heartburn and rib cage pain during 1st trimester
I'm 6wks today w/my 3rd preg & since the 1st 2 were mc I think I'm worried too much with this 1. I didn't know I was preg tell like 3mths later by then I was mc.This 1 I actually missed my cycle, have morning (thru put the day)sickness which is cool but the heartburn & pain in my left rib cage this early is scaring me. Should I be worried? I keep expected something to go wrong even tough I try not to think about it.
|

replied December 27th, 2011
Chest pains during pregnancy
I had such pains in my pregnancy with my son. I went to the ER, and it was tachycardia, which is irregularly fast heartbeat. They gave me IV fluids and antibiotics, and they sent me home, as I was dehydrated from pharyngitis. But it was a persistent problem, and I still deal with it. Sometimes pregnancy can cause heart murmurs, and I never had a heart murmur before I was pregnant. If the pain gets worse, or if you start passing out and you're hydrated, go to the ER. You'll probably follow up with a cardiologist, and remember, they are more qualified than an OB/GYN, so trust them.
|

replied December 30th, 2011
im having pains that seem to feel like, like... my ribs are pulling down or something. its weird and hard to explain but mine seems to only happen at night. im now 21weeks pregnant today and iv experienced it for about 2 nights in a row and was wondering should i he conserned.
|

User Profile
replied January 27th, 2012
Seems the test were false or I lost the baby prior and signs just lingered around Smile not worries still ttc'ing...
|

replied April 28th, 2012
chest pains when pregnant
im pregnant with my second child and this is the second time i have been having chest pains due to pregnancy also pains in my head. i got rushed into hospital at 4months when carrying my first child due to the pains and they done blood tests and reassured me everything was fine. i aslo had several ecg's which i was very scared. but after months off tests they told me it was anxiety and stress. but becoming pregnant again the pains have came back, chest pains can also be caused by alcohol or smoking by stopping suddenly, also caffine in take aswell.,do not panic as it is normal,our hormones are all over the place at the mo just mention it to your midwife on the next visit.. if anyone is scared or constantly worrying see your doc.
|

replied May 21st, 2012
Early pregnancy cheat pain
I am only 8 week and this is my third pregnancy. First I had a mc and then I had a text book perfect pregnancy with my 9 year old son. I have had issues that I would have never expected with this pregnancy. I was put on progesterone because I was not producing enough on my own leving me at high risk for mc. For the past few days pressure in my chest had had me very concerned. After many tests in the ER it has been blamed to the hormone changes my body is going through. All I am wondering now is how I can relieve the discomfort. Help anyone?
|

replied May 22nd, 2012
chest pain
hi im in my 3rd pregnancy and i experencied this heavy heat attact pain twice through my last pregnancy after getting rushed to a&e they did an ECG did all my obs and coyldnt find anything when i explained i had just eaten a big lunch they told me it was probably indigestion and sent me home. i am now 16 weeks pregnant and last week it started all over again the second time being alot worse and had to phone an ambulace , as after making myself sick which usually makes it go still was there i had tests done ect and they told me it was pregnancy related and was to do with my refulx / gastric related,these pains did go off in my last pregnancy furter on , my advice it dont drink alot of fizzy and big meals as both of thease seem to start off my pain, i also got told to have a spoon of gaviscone before i eat a meal as will help. this is an awful pain i know not ideal but if u want it to go off because its getting so bad i would advise to be sick which isnt really ideal .
|

replied July 13th, 2012
rib pains
I have all the same symptoms as all of you and I am going to the doctor asap..even if the doc thinks iam ridiculous that this is normal..I'm going just to be sure for the health of my unborn child and if you haven't gone id advise you too.
|

replied July 21st, 2012
I'm 21 Weeks, and i've been having a real bad pain in my chest, right in the middle, it hurts when I breath in or push down. This is my 3rd pregnancy and with the other two I did not have this kind of pain. Is it normal or should I call my doctor???
|

replied May 18th, 2013
Hi.I don't. Know English but little bit. Can someone please. answer my question 10 days pregnancy and chest pain breath problem is that happens. If yes thene it's normal and I don't have any other symptoms little headache thanks
|