Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Problems After Gallbladder Removal (Page 1)

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
Sorry this is long. I just turned 22. I have never had weight problems and don't "fit the mold" for having gallstones. I guess that is why it took a year of throwing up and going to the doctor before they finally did an ultrasound and found that I had gallstones. I did not have pain associated with the stones, just nausea and vomiting. After I had my gallbladder removed, I started experiencing pain in my upper right side...Pain similar to post-op pain. It lasts for several days and then goes away. I went back to my surgeon who said to take aspirin and it would go away. Ha! Nothing helps when I have this pain...And it lasts for several days. I starting going to another doctor who took me seriously. She scheduled several tests and found that my bile duct was enlarged. She thought I might have a sphincter of oddi dysfunction. She referred me to a gastroenterologist who performed an ercp. During the procedure, they found my bile duct to be twisted. They checked for a tumor but did not see anything at that time. They clipped my sphincter of oddi so that there would be a steady flow of bile out of my duct and removed sludge from my duct. Of course, I developed pancreatitus after the procedure. A couple of months without pain followed the ercp. It was great! And then it all came back. Sometimes it is accompanied with nausea and vomiting. The doctor put me on celebrex for a little while. The pain went away for a while, but now it's back. While it used to occur only once or twice a month, recently, the pain has started once a week (and lasts for three to four days). The doctor put me on nexium. The pain came back. Has anyone experienced anything similar? I am so frustrated. Is there anyone out there with advice or a similar experience? Please let me know.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Foltzrebecca
|

replied March 14th, 2005
Problems After Gallbladder Removal
The sphincter is too tight, leading to painful, excess pressure in the ducts. This is a common disorder in young women with typical symptoms of biliary colic.

Often their gallbladders are removed, sometimes even if no stones are found, and the diagnosis is only made later when further investigations reveal the high pressure in the sphincter.

Another explanation for recurrent pain after a cholecystectomy is that more stones are present. Although stones usually form in the gallbladder, they can also form in the bile ducts, producing to the same symptoms. It may also be that a very tiny stone was left in the bile ducts at the time of surgery, and this stone has been slowly enlarging since. In rare cases, the duct leading into the gallbladder (the cystic duct) is not clamped and cut close to its base during the surgery. This can lead to an enlargement of the remaining part of the duct, which can also lead to more stone formation.

best wishes,
|

replied April 7th, 2017
stones come from the liver not the gallbladder or the bile duct. i have met women in hospital having ERCP many years after gallbladder removal as they have stones in thier bile duct. its liver stones.
|

replied March 31st, 2005
Anonymous
Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction
Hang in there. I'm 46, had my gallbladder out in 1998, stones had crystllized. A few months later, pain returned and I waited too long to see the gi. It was sod which made my liver toxic from backed up toxins. Lupus came up, autoimmune hepatitis too but everyone stopped looking after the sod was fixed with ercp #1. 2 years later pain returned, ercp done immediately, but I got pancreatitis afterwards. 3rd time: same as #2, repeat er visit and hospitalization for pancreatitis. I was pain free for almost 1 year and a half. Now it's back. Throughout all these years, sle (lupus) symptoms come and go, including positive bloodwork. I now feel that lupus might be causing the sod, liver, pancreas problems. I am waiting for rheumatologist referral but am seeing the gi dr in 4 days in the mean time. If I do have lupus it makes sense to treat the cause not the symptom. How many ercp's can be done on me before a potentially fatal result? Gi docs dont know the answer but are concerned. Good luck, get 2nd opinions and dont let them tell you, "it's in your head!"
|

replied May 15th, 2005
Gallbladder Removed 3 Weeks Ago And Having Attacks Again
Going through the same thing.....Pain is worse than before and is happening at night. My breastbone hurts and then it goes into my back...Afterwards im sore like ive been beat up. Doc wants me to get set up for a eprc. Hope they find whats happening because the pain is unbearable. I have had 6 attacks in the past 2 weeks and there coming on more and more often. Does this sound like you?
|

replied June 30th, 2011
This is me!
This is me!!!! What was the outcome?
|

replied December 20th, 2011
gallbladder attack
I had my gallbladder removed in 2007 but sad my pain is back. I suffered horrible pain worst than before. My last option is to force myself to throw out take warm water with SPASMONAL then after 15 mins im getting ok.

Recently every day im having attack, the same procedure im doing.
|

replied May 31st, 2005
Shannon??? Are you on something like nexium??? Prilosec??? I was having the same symptoms as you and gastro doc said gerd... So he put me on nexium which is the only one that works for me btw... Have the center pain that goes through to my back... Been on nexium since my surgery and it's getting better and better.... The other gerd meds didn't work.... Have you tried any??? I wake up inthe morning in terrible pain in my back... Straight through from my sternum area... But like I said it's getting better as time goes by... Have tried going off the nex and it comes back bad...

Forgot to mention too that I had gb out 12 weeks ago... So I edited.. :lol:
|

replied June 3rd, 2005
Anyone Heard of Ercp
Went to gastro doc yesterday, seems I have sod and he put me on medicine called librax, so many doctors and to much different advice. My surgon that took my gallbladder out said to get ercp and this doctor is very agaist doing one saying they are very dangerous, and might not even help my problem. I dont want to be on meds for the rest of my life! This librax is kicking my butt, feel like im in lala land. The diarreha is unbelievable, and out of control. Anyone have any advice out there, right now im on nextum, librax, and questan light. Help!!!
|

replied February 9th, 2012
Hello,
I’ve had my gallbladder out now for about a year. If I had a chance to do it again,,,,,, I would NOT. Not until I consulted with a Holistic medicine doc. Maybe try a few bladder cleansers first. I can tell you that ever since I had mine taken out,,, I’ve had NOTHING but bowel problems. At least that’s the way my life has been. Here lately (over a year since surgery) the diarrhea sometimes just comes on out of the blue!
I read an article that stated that the drug Colestid worked really well for some people.
If I only knew,,, looking back I would have tried a bladder cleanse or something first. I’m going to try to get a script for that Colestid medicine. Maybe that will fix me. I know that some people do not have any issues after their gull bladder removal.
Good luck, hope this info helps!

Bob R.
Maryland, USA
|

User Profile
replied April 12th, 2012
I am an Herbalist and I tried everything I know holistically/herbally even changed my diet again and that did not help after 3 months and my last attack is that made me have my gb out 2 weeks ago I never trusted Dr's and still don't but it is nice to be able to eat again.

Given the same option the only thing I would change ismaybe not stop my am tonics onceI stopped them I started having gb issues.

Ren
|

replied June 11th, 2005
Ercp
My gastro doc is against the ercp too... Said most of the time it causes pancreatitis... He said the mri one is better which is similar... ???? I think my yiggy gb caused pancreatitis in me... Sure felt yiggy that's for sure... But don't know if it did actually or not.... I'm over 3 mo post op now from the gb surg and i'm way better....Am faithfully taking my nexium... Hope I can stop it in a few months... Spensive stuff! I'm the opposite of you I believe... No loose bowels at all... I'm stopped up! :x have to take daily fiber capsules....

Hope you get better... How long has it been since your surg???
|

replied December 6th, 2012
Try 400 mg of magnesium before bed. It will calm you down, help you sleep and when you wake up in the morning, you will be able to eliminate whatever you have eaten in the last 24 hours. Only drawback, it may take about 15-30 minutes to eliminate... and it will be a lot...you will be surprised at how much we carry around with us every day.
|

replied December 29th, 2013
i am going to start my mag tonight thank you
|

replied September 7th, 2005
Anonymous
Similiar Problems Getting Frustrated
Hello, I am new to these posts. I am 29 yrs old. I have been doing some online researching trying to find if anyone else is having similiar problems as I am. I am 3 1/2 mos. Post gb removal and have started having the pains in the side and in my back as I did before the surgery. It also involves nausea and pain in my abdomen. At first suspecting pregancy I took many tests including the blood tests. All negative. These symptoms come and go and are more prominent in the morning when I wake and usually after a meal. I have gotten to where I don't even want to eat because of the discomfort. I also have pain in the side when I lift more then a few pounds or bend too much. I have missed 3 days so far from work, as my pcp has tried xrays and ct scan all showing no problems. He gave me protonix (for possible gerd or gas) and no help. Then I developed fever and elevated liver enzymes which he gave me antibiotics for. It seems that my pcp and my surgeon have been going back and forth and I am trying to get in to see anybody that can help. Do you think that this is similiar to the sod that you have all been talking about?
|

replied September 11th, 2012
This sounds very similar to my experience. I am 3 1/2 weeks after gall bladder removal and my symptoms of nausea and pain in the back have returned. Not as severe as before surgery but definitely there. I find I am most effected by the nausea in the morning and I can't even drink a glass of water first thing, as this sets of the nausea straight away. I find any liquids even freshly squeezed organic fruit juice can't be tolerated. I have sort of come up with a routine to help me through the day and goes like this - Morning I take a pro biotic, I wait about 15 minutes and then I eat 1 banana, a few strawberries and I let that settle for a little and then I have a little drink of water. I find after eating something light, fruit or vegie, I can tolerate it much better. Protein, tomato and dairy seems to set me off and I find it difficult to process meat or even whey protein balls. Eating dinner no later than 5.00pm is a must. I have eaten later in the evening and seriously paid for it with extreme pain while trying to go to sleep. I've come to the conclusion that dairy free soups, light meals of fish, vegies, salads and fruit are the way to go, for me anyway.
I have been suffering from an auto immune condition for many many years and it just may be that this was the underlying cause for my pancreatitus. My doctor took a stab in the dark and removed my gall bladder, but it obviously didn't fix things. If I had more time to research my condition, I would not have agreed to my gall bladder removal, but I was in emergency with acute pain, jaundiced and told I was in a life threatening situation. So what do you do but listen to the surgeon, who's job it is to cut people open and remove faulty organs. It's funny how before the surgery I was told that I had a diseased gall bladder and after the surgery when pain persists, I am told that my gall bladder was inflamed. You put your life in their hands and then you find out all the things that they with held from you.
After reading this forum I will not undergo another cpr as there seems no point and I've had quite enough of hospitals. I will not be taking any drugs as I do have a naturopathic background and I feel I will be able to manage it with my diet and just listening to what my body needs, will set me on the right path, I'm sure.
|

replied September 7th, 2005
Hi onyx...
I'm 6 mo post gb removal tomorrow!! Have you tried nexium?? My doc gave me protonix to try and it made me soooo nauseated and made me feel very strange... Not sure why but I tried it twice... Gastro doc told me to try nexium... I had been on that for a couple of weeks before the surg then have stayed on it til last week... I thought I would try going off of it... Bad idea... I was okay the first two days... Then started having indigestion slightly.. Burping alot... Getting sour taste in my mouth... And hurting in the morning again... And after spicey meals... Ughhhh my mysterious side pain that I had came back yesterday for the first time since before the surg!!! It's waist level... And my back hurt all day yesterday... I started back on the nexium!!!! Will remain on it til who knows when... Don't care how much it costs! Ughhhh... I've had two of the little purp pills and am doing much better.... Thought maybe I would be healed up inside after 6 mo on it.. Guess not...

So sorry you feel so yucky... I know the frustration. Do talk to your doc about nexium... Haha I feel like an advertisement... ! ;) I know it doesn't work for everyone but i've tried just about all of the ppi's and that is the only one that seemed to work.. And it took a couple of months to really work well....

Pm me is you like and we can talk more!
|

replied October 26th, 2005
Anonymous
Having Same Issue
I am 3 years gallbladder free and last night I started feeling the dull ache in my upper abdomen going through my back. It is not as severe as it was when I had gallstones, though. I have been having heartburn and indigestion lately, too. Of course, being me, I immediately jump to I must have pancreatic cancer. Reading this is helping me tremendously!! I go see my doc at 3pm today and I am terrified they will find cancer. I am only 32. :(
|

replied October 26th, 2005
I am affraid, because you hear so much about cancer these days, that the slightest ache & pain, you always think the worst. I know I have. Let us know how you got on at the drs.
|

replied February 8th, 2006
Anonymous
Poor Girl That Had Her Spinctorotomy
I feel so bad for you,those !**@! did the thereputic ercp on me to and ruined my life......So sorry...PM me for my thoughts if ya want...I`am curious how your doing....
|

replied December 9th, 2007
I found out that I had gallstones when I was 37 weeks pregnant, after having severe nausea and vomiting from about 12 weeks gestation and thinking it was just severe indigestion. Had a scan at 37 week mark confirming gallstones, then at 39 weeks got pancreatitis and landed in hospital. Was induced because pain came back after being discharged. Had about 20 biliary colic attacks in a 3 month period then got pancreatitis again. Had an ERCP done and Sphincterotomy, then a week later had gb removed.

That was nearly 2 weeks ago and everything was going great. Eating was fine and I recovered quickly. BUT 3 nights ago I woke with the same biliary colic pain in my breastbone and vomiting and nausea. Took some painkillers and went to sleep, hoping the pain to go away. It didnt and it still hasnt. The painkillers kill my appetite and when I do eat they make me sick anyways, but I cant NOT have the painkillers because its too sore.

The pain is mainly in my breastbone, radiating thru to my back. Exactly what it felt like BEFORE the op.
I wasnt given any information on what i can and cant eat when i left the hospital, but everyone said "just think, no more pain".

So is this from what Im eating (or trying to eat) or is there something else going on??

BTW sorry its such a long rant.
|

Post Gb Surgery Diet
I don't know what you have been eating for sure since your gb surgery or what type of diet you had prior. I just had surgery this passed Tuesday (Dec 4). Prior to surgery I was having terrible painful attacks. I went on a very strict low-fat, high-fiber organic diet that really helped reduce the number of attacks and the amount of pain. When I was discharged from my surgery I was told the first day to only have a liquid diet (broth, ginger aile, etc), second day eat very light, and then continue with the low-fat diet. Your body needs time to adjust to not having a gb as now your liver is taking over the role that the gb had, so you can't just go eat whatever even weeks after your surgery. I am sticking with my diet and have been pain free since my surgery. Maybe in about 6-8 weeks I will try a few things that I wasn't eating before.

Your problem could be what you are eating, however I would get to your dr to confirm diet and also rule out any other problems.

But above is the diet instruction I was given at time of discharge from when I had my gb removal surgery less than a week ago.

Good luck, hope you feel better.
|

I havent really eaten anything high in fat since my gb surgery, but beforehand i was on a strict no-fat/low fat diet but it didnt seem to help at all. I would still have the attacks and they were rather severe.
Im going to give it a few weeks keeping a low fat diet and then slowly introduce new foods and see how i go. But im keeping clear of takeaways, i really enjoyed 'detoxing' from all the 'bad' food.
|

replied January 1st, 2008
Problems After Gall Bladder Surgery
I had my gall bladder removed approximately 10 years ago. The day after my surgery, I had the first "spasm", as I call them, and have had these attacks many times in the last 10 years. I am so tender in the upper right quadrant area of my abdomen. The symptoms are, first I have this severe pain in my upper abdomen, like something is squeezing and twisting and then I get nauseous and almost pass out. It takes all the energy out of me. I told the doctor it was my idea of having a "heart attack" only on the other side and in my abdomen.

I was referred to a gastroentologist after an attack a few months ago which landed me in the ER. He says I have an irritable bowel and have me the generic for levsin (anti-spasmodic) which you place under your tongue like nitro. It does seem to relieve the pain after a few minutes. I just feel like there is something really more to it than irritable bowel. I guess if I complain long enough, maybe a doctor will listen to me. I will suggest a test to check my bile ducts. What is ercp? I'm new to this forum.
|

replied November 13th, 2011
Feel for you as I have similar symptoms and I am 3 years after GB removal. Pain starts at top right hand side of my ribs but then goes through to my back and sometimes up through my shoulder and neck. Also goes across my chest and is what I imagine a heart attack to feel like - I've been checked out by a cardiologist so I know it isn't heart related. Attacks are fewer than before I had my GB out, but no painkillers seem to have any effect and I feel "battered" for a couple of days afterwards. The attacks can last from a couple of hours up to 2 days.
|

replied February 9th, 2012
It may be that you have way more bile in your intestines than you should. I have been reading up on a cholesterol drug called Colestid. Bile acid is a natural substance the liver makes by using cholesterol. This medication works by removing bile acid from the body. This causes the liver to make more bile acid by using cholesterol, which reduces cholesterol levels in the blood.
I have bouts with diarrhea sometimes just comes on out of the blue! I’m hopping that this will work for me. I’ve been putting up with this now for over a year (since surgery).
Hope you get straightened out soon,,,
Bob R.
Maryland, USA
|

replied January 6th, 2008
Male 24 Same Problem
I am a 24 year old male. I don't have a weight problem and I eat well. A year ago doctors found sludge in my gallbladder and I had it removed. When they were in there, they said that the Bile Duct was twisted. After surgery I found out that they cut my bile duct. A stent was placed to fix the leak, I got Pancreatitis, and pain continued for months. Fast forward 9 months, I get pancreatitis and my enzymes are elevated above 2100, I have had reoccurant pancreatitis three times since then. They just cut my sphincter of Oddi. I am still having problems. ARE THERE ANY MALES OUT THERE WITH THIS PROBLEM?
|

replied October 7th, 2011
Hi brianNks

Yes, I have exactly what you do (symptoms). I usually have pain later on in the day and definitely after supper. Doesnt seem to matter what I eat. If I eat a higher fat meal, I will get noticeable "spasms" I can feel upper area, just below my ribcage centre. I have had three ERCP's. First was in 1996..They had removed my GB and two weeks after had to go back in with ERCP to remove a stone they missed in the common bile duct. Then two years ago, same pain again and I ended up with another ERCP after 3 days in emerg. This time they removed sludge and cut my sphincter of Oddi (SP?) as apparently it appeared to have healed "funny". Then same pain starting this past May. Had another ERCP but this time I was told there was no sludge. Still in pain almost every day and all my enzymes only slightly elevated. When the pain is very severe I suspect pancreatitis. My surgeon and family doc are perplexed. I am on Lyrica and pain killers.

Soooo, long story short BrianNks, yep. I am a male and have same problem! Smile
|

replied February 3rd, 2008
I've had my galbladder removed a little over a year ago. Afterwards, I also kept having pain in the upper right abdomen where the gallbladder used to be. the pain goes around my back too. It only last for 10-15 minutes but it was severe enough for me to walk out of meetings a few times. I had the pains daily. the docs put me on a variety of heart-burn relievers but they didn't help at all stop the pain. then, I've read an article about bile reflux disease and that heartburns meds like prilosec, tagamet, etc can actually make the problem worse. I stopped taking those and indeed the pains decreased in frequency...now I only have them once or twice week. I still get heartburn once in a while and if I end up taking heartburn meds, I;m sure to have the pain a few hours later but overall I've not been able to find a definite cause/aggregators for the pains.

I also had really bad diarreah after every meal I ate but am now on Cholestrymine which seems to put a stop to that immediately.
|

User Profile
replied February 6th, 2008
Well...
I'm 17 years old. I had my gallbladder removed when I was 16, I have headaches, nasuea, bloating, cramping, pains, insomnia, hard to concentrate...

Now, I've been researching the factors of symptoms after the surgery. I am aware that 40% of patients who go through the procedure experience difficulties.
I am also aware that there is nothing to be done, that this is the lifetime effect.

I have an incredibly healthy diet...now. After surgery.
From my research. It seems we should be taking enzymes to help us digest fat and possibly Cholacol, or bile salts. Since, the gallbladder creates bile.

I just want to be normal. Healthy. and well.
I fear I cannot be.

I know what's wrong, I know the side effects of surgery. I do not want to take silly placebos or pain killers. I want to be better.

Is this non-repairable. Is there no turning back?
Can we only ease the pain? ... Some one enlighten me. Is there a way to fix it?
What have the doctors told you?
|

replied February 6th, 2008
My heart goes out to you dear. I am so sorry for what you are going through.
(site removed by tinkinpink84, we do not advertise other forums on ehealth)
It is a thread where others with problems like yours have talked about it.
The body needs fat to function properly and lacking that might be causing some of the problems, like the headaches. You could try the enzymes or bile salts, like you mentioned and also some lecithin will help the body to digest the fats. That might help brain function and a over all feeling of energy.
Have you tried taking melatonin to help you sleep? It has done wonders for me!
And as far as the cramping...There are supplements that help relax muscles such as magnesium and taurine.
I am trying very hard to not lose my gallbladder. I can see why people have the surgery, but if so many people are having problems afterward, these doctors need to get something figured out.
I hope you get more responses from others. I hope things get better for you. Let us know if you find something that helps.
|