Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Constant Fear of Health Problems (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Hey im new here, I am soooo happy to have found this site, I have hypochondriasis extrememly bad, my life is based on worrying, I constantly think im gonna drop over dead from a hear attack, brain anurysm,cancer,brain tumor etc, ive had 5 ekg's, a 24 hour holter moniter, 2 brain ct's, a brain mri, a chest x-ray,countless pyschatrists ive even tried hypnotherapy with this famous theropist daniel a. Zelling, I go to the doctors at least 3 times month, ive been through so much with all of this, its been almost 2 years now. I even get scared when I look at a post on here were someones explaining a feeling they have and someone replys "i would get an mri" or somthing. Nighttime is always the worst, its hell. But I know theres alot of other people out their just like me now and I dont feel so alone. Can someone please reply to this, thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper HereToHelp2
|
Users who thank Hypochondriac1028 for this post: prayerswork07 

User Profile
replied May 21st, 2008
Hi
I know exaclty what you are going thru... I stumbled on this site cause I have a sore throat and I always thinks its cancer... I have constant panic attacks that I'm dieing and vist the Dr.s atleast twice a month. Nighttime for me is hell as well and its hard for me to sleep cause I"m always worrying.... Its sucks but I just wanted you to know your not alone...
|

replied December 4th, 2011
i am also going through this,i have been driving myself and family and doctors crazy,even pharmacists,i almost died from toximea after delivery so now i think im dying from everything..i have been twitching so i think i am dying from als..ive been to er alot..everythings normal so far,,before this it was a stroke i obsessed on,lupus,blood pressure,fluid,so on...ive lost weight from not eating,bad shape....i found a way to have peace now..i turned it all over to god ..i pray alot ..read scriptures over over...he will help ..he will give you peace..dont give up
|

replied May 23rd, 2008
Yeah, I've hypochondrisasis too! It's indeed very stressy en worrying. I've notably the fear to going blind. Or disabled.

It is, I think, the fear to lose controle, a lack of relativation, don't know. Confused
|

replied May 24th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I really believe there had to be something "trigger" that started you off on this road. Did you have someone close to you that passed on due to a fatal illness or a good friend. Usually, somewhere back of your mind, there has to be something that stuck there to cause you to have those feelings. If you could get back to what this was and meet that face to face, you may have a better chance in dealing with this.
|

replied May 26th, 2008
mine are heart arrhythmia, heart attack, lung cancer, lymphoma, blood clot in the leg (PE), stroke! & My list goes on and on. when I start to fall asleep I wake up trembling. I live in constant fear (especially at night) that i WILL drop dead any second. Afraid to go to sleep and have my daughter find me dead in the morning. I have vividly imagined my funeral a million times. I had been beating this up until recently. when my grampa suddenly fell dead at gramma's feet then a month later my beloved six year old cat died suddenly in the night. Before that I hadn't had a panic/anxiety attack in almost a year! now they go on for hours at a time and I almost never stop shaking and anticipating death (which seems seconds away)! But one of my problems is I'm too afraid (and too poor!) to go to the doctor. If I could only have all those different tests you've had I think I'd feel so much better. I'm sorry they haven't helped to reassure you! But I'm in the same boat with you and it sucks to be us!!!
|

replied April 6th, 2012
I don't know if you still have this problem since this was posted so long ago but I am suffering through the same problem and I didn't think I could find anyone else that understands or relates to what I am going through until I came across this site... I constantly worry about my body and my health I always have anxiety about it mostly at night but it is always there. No one I talk to that is close to me understands when I try to talk to them about it. Honestly my boyfriend, friends, and family get pretty annoyed and fed up with me constantly freaking out about my health but I can't control it. It's not like I want to live constantly in fear like this. It is horrible. I am always checking my pulse to make sure my hearts ok and freaking out about my breathing. If I get even the sllightest head ache or pain in my head I flip thinking Im dying. It even freaks me out talking about those things or hearing about those things..
|

replied May 27th, 2008
Hello Everyone,

I also am a hypercondriac. I have the fear of dying constantly. My worse fear is that I am going to have a Heart Attack and drop dead. Every little ache an pain I worry about and think the worse.

I had an echo stress cardiogram done, my Cardiologist told me that my chances of having a Heart Attack in the next 10 years is less then 1%. I also had EKG's done, and my Cardiac Enzymes check and everything is normal. My BP is 120/80, my total Cholesterol is 182 with the bad LDL at 100 and the good at 62, but I still worry.
I have been on Lexapro 10mg daily, I also take Adivan only when I need too.

The 2 hospitals that I been too know my name. That is how many times I have been there. Now that's pathetic.

I did not have any issues in my adolesent, teen or adult life. My girlfriend did pass away 2 years ago of breast cancer but that does not scare me.

I just hear of too many stories of young adults my age taking massavie heart attacks and dying who are in great shape, they eat well , exercise daily, are not stressed out. That is what is scary.

I am 42 years old, my doctor assures me that I am healthy and that I am not going to take a heart attack, but I still think the opposite of what he says. My only health issue is that I am about 50lbs. overweight. I am 5'6" and weigh 236lbs.

So I know exacty what everyone is going through.

Kathy
|

you sound just like me...the er knows my name too ,so do all pharmacists..i never believed the doctors when they say im fine..i will tell you what helps me and gives me peace,when i pray,and talk to god about it..he does wonders
|

replied June 4th, 2008
This is very tough to go through. I am going through the same thing right now.

I was set off by my mother having a cancer scare. Then I thought I had Appendicitis because of stomach pain, then I thought I had testicular cancer because of a vein, then I thought I had lung cancer because of slight blood in sinus's, then I thought I had brain cancer, then als.

On and on. This has all happened over 2 months. I have resumed my therapy with my CBT guy and also take a small dosage of xanax when needed.

Anyways, sometimes we need others help. I suggest CBT/exercise.

Also, big tip: DON'T LOOK UP SYMPTOMS ON THE INTERNET.

Worst thing I ever did. now any and all symptoms I have I can relate to something horrible.
|

i thought i was the only one...this helped me..i looked up twitches on internet and thought i too had als among many others...prayers is what has totally helped me...this too.thanks
|

replied June 6th, 2008
Why is it that everything is scarier at night. I have suddenly become a big hypochondriac within the last year or two and I notice every little thing that goes on with my body. I have now become agoraphobic and am afraid to go too far from home. I have been trying to practice and go places that would make me uncomfortable so I can slowly get more used to it and hopefully get over it, but I am supposed to go camping this weekend at the beach about an hour and a half from my house and am a super nervous, but for some reason the part that terrifies me and sends me into a total panic attack is sleeping there. I have done a day trip a couple of other times and been ok and I went on the camping trip last year and I was fine during the day, but once it was nighttime and I was supposed to go to bed, I spent the whole night panicking, I couldn't sleep and was terrified that if I closed my eyes I would never wake up again. I don't know what that is about.
|

replied June 7th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
I also worry a lot about health issues, most of the time to unreasonably extreme measures. If I have a headache that doesn't go away or does respond to aspirin? Must be a tumor. Headache that's a little over to one side? Tumor. Pain in the back of my neck or in my shoulder? Tumor. Pupils 'seem' to be a tiny bit uneven? Tumor. Can't breathe right? Embolism. Nausea? Tumor, or pregnancy. Period doesn't come right exactly when I expect it to? Pregnancy. Yes, pregnancy would be a very very bad thing to happen in my life.

Over the last year and a half (about), I've developed odd physical symptoms that have no explanation. Tension headaches that have never ever gone away and that often travel down the sides of my head and into my cheeks. Breathing problems that make me feel short of breath all the time. And, most recently, very very slight feelings of dizziness. It's not vertigo, but just the kind of light dizzines that makes you give your head a quick shake to clear your head.

My first thought? I have a brain tumor or some sort of brain infection. Even though I'm only 20, have never had any neurological problems and have no family history of neurological problems, I am scared I have something fatally wrong with me. My breahting problems used to be worse, to the point where I forced myself to stay awake until I couldn't stand it anymore. I could only sleep when I was so exhausted that I said to myself, "I'm scared I'm going to die, but I'm too tired to care".

There are other things that cause me stress, but potential health issues are the main cause. And I am also one of those people who researches their symptoms on the internet, and I go into panic mode if I search "headache" and one of the results is "Symptoms of Brain Tumor".

I've had many tests done to find out the causes of this stuff. I've had asthma testing done and got negative results. I had a CAT scan of my chest done when the breathing problems started so bloot clots could be ruled out and the results came back normal. I've been put on a few antibiotics because my doctor can't see me but probably wants to shut me up by telling me it's a sinus infection and prescribing me stuff, none of which has helped. My lungs sound healthy, my oxygen levels are always at least at 97 percent, I have no chest pain at all, my vision, coordination, and memomry are fine, I'm not throwing up......and yet, I'm still scared to death I have something very wrong with me.

The thing is no one I know has ever died or been ill with something very bad. But all it takes is reading one story about one person who had a brain tumor and only one symptom to scare me into thinking, "What if that's what's happening to ME?"

I worry basically about darn near everything, not just health problems. If I don't see or hear from my best friend (with whom I spend lots of time) at least once a day, I worry. If I don't hear from my boyfriend for a few days, I'm worried something happened to him. If I think one of my cats feels a little ligher, I'm worried she's sick. If I have school or work deadlines hanging over my head, I worry. I worry during finals week. I get anxious about going home for my breaks because my mother's boyfriend just LOVES to tell me what I need to do with my life and no matter how many times I say I don't want to hear it, he just kees on preaching. I can't even be intimate with my boyfriend without worrying - I'm always scared I'm going to get pregnant even though we protect ourselves and there's a Planned Parenthood near where I live that I could visit to deal with a pregnancy. I worry about my grades because all my life if I didn't get good grades, I would get bloody screamed at by my mother and even though I'm an adult now, I still have nervous breakdowns if I get anything lower than a B. I worry if I miss class, even if it's for legitimate reasons. I worry when I forget to do an assignment. I worry when I don't have enough money for food. I worry that I eat too much.

In a nutshell, I worry about everything. I think I'd make a psychiatrist's head exlpode.
|

replied April 6th, 2012
You relate exactly 100% to my problem. makes me feel better I'm not the only one feeling this way. I'm always researching health problems, keeping myself up at night, worried if I get a headache or pains there, worried about breathing and just about everything to do with my body..
|

replied January 9th, 2009
visit a psychiatrist if you can
yes visit one if you can. I've been having weird aches, pains all over my body, especially my chest area since august. so that makes about 4 months. First I thought i was dying, and went to ER immediately. It was a sinus tachycardia, they said. so i visited a cardiologist that day and i've had EKG, treadmill EKG, Echo, 2 times 24 hour holter monitor. All these come negative, so no physical problems. When they tell you these after all these tests, you must believe it really! I believed that and i was really relaxed with no more sleep problem or so, but lately i've started thinking about dying or other diseases so stress came back again - with all pains and aches. So i visited a psychiatrist yesterday and told him all these. He said: Anxiety disorder. You worry a lot and unnecessary. He gave me antidepressant and i'm starting it today. If they tell you you're OK, you are! Believe it.
|

replied January 18th, 2009
a fine line
being nervous about physical symptons can be infuriating as the imagination can trump the truth. i go online and read things that are "wrong' with me and at times they send me into a tizzy, but it might seem counter-intuitive but researching on the net can also be helpful. the more i research the more diseases i have so i end up realizing i can't have all these diseases.
|

replied September 1st, 2009
Constant worry
Im 28 and although i've suffered with depression on and off for 10 years, my anxiety is out of control right now. I dont recall it ever being so bad although family members may disagree. Childhood was pretty bad, had lots to deal with for a young age (cutting long stories very short) Watched my friends Mum die of cancer, two other friends Mums got cancer although have survived Smile. Watched my Grandmas & Nan both die although not from cancer. Im just simply scared of death and illness. Cancer being the main one.

I've just had a baby who's now 5 months and i'm happy.. well should be. I have two gorgeous children and a wonderful Fiance but its as though because im in a happy safe environment, all the fear and anxiety kicks in like some kind of post traumatic stress.. Im scared of everything. I've been feeling really sick now for 2 or more weeks, i've lost weight and have a slight pain in my tummy.. obviously im worrying that its stomache cancer. The doc said I could have the flu, but that was two weeks ago. Now though I have no appetite, have lost weight, feeling sick and have an upset tummy most of the time, i'm feeling completely exhausted but if im sitting down im ok. How are we meant to know if its serious or not? My family are beginning to put everything down to panic attacks and I wouldnt blame them, my doctors will be the same too with the amount of notes on there screen.

Its like a never ending battle. I just want to enjoy my life and savour every moment and stop worrying about things I cant control.
|

replied September 1st, 2009
I know exactly how everyone feels on here.. I lost my Brother Suddenly to Leukemia 7 years ago, i had grief counseling and that seemed to work.. But 2 years after that i had my daughter and lost alot of blood, when i got out of the hospital i thought i was dying.. I have been diagnosed with hypacondrias.. And my daughter is 4 now, i have had some help, then felt alot better. now i am going through it again always checking the internet.. And think i am dying.. Scared about everything.. It all relates back to losing my brother, he was a fit and healthy 22 year old Man who found out on a Tuesday he had leukemia and died from it on that friday.. But i have to realise these things are not happening to me.. And please do not take in that you are dying from leukemia, because this is where my story started from.. I know if i read that i would panick that that is what i have..
|

replied November 10th, 2009
I am the same way as all of you. I've been to many different psychiatrists, hospitalization, etc. It complicates things when doctors do not address your issue, but only prescribe meds for you, myself included. I finally found a doctor that I believe, is truly a gift from God and has a gift. I'm 25 years old and have been battling this since I was about 13.
He recommended this book and I am reading it now.....Adult Children of Alcoholics by Janet Geringer Woittiz.
Do not let the title fool you, because I never had any alcohol problems with myself or my family...zero. However, you can replace the word "alcoholism/alochol" with whatever you would like. It will give you a new perspective on things.
If anyone would like the doctor's contact information, I will be happy to provide. The office is in South Carolina.
|

replied July 19th, 2013
Hi, I am in SC and I am terrified of having a heart attack. I have chest pains, upper back pain, left arm pain, etc. I have had many EKG's stress echos, etc. I am still not at ease with my symptoms. My step father had a heart attack suddenly and died. Now my panic and anxiety is greater than ever. Can you provide me with the DR's name and info?
|

replied November 11th, 2009
Re: Constant Fear of Health Problems
Hypochondriac1028 wrote:
Hey im new here, I am soooo happy to have found this site, I have hypochondriasis extrememly bad, my life is based on worrying, I constantly think im gonna drop over dead from a hear attack, brain anurysm,cancer,brain tumor etc, ive had 5 ekg's, a 24 hour holter moniter, 2 brain ct's, a brain mri, a chest x-ray,countless pyschatrists ive even tried hypnotherapy with this famous theropist daniel a. Zelling, I go to the doctors at least 3 times month, ive been through so much with all of this, its been almost 2 years now. I even get scared when I look at a post on here were someones explaining a feeling they have and someone replys "i would get an mri" or somthing. Nighttime is always the worst, its hell. But I know theres alot of other people out their just like me now and I dont feel so alone. Can someone please reply to this, thanks

All I can say is that I know the half of the term that is used in this situation and that is "phobia" the complete word is just not coming into my mind but the problem you are referring to is obviously directly related with the brain or your mind set and I guess in this situation no medicine would be able to cure you entirely but seeing a psychiatrist might help.
|

User Profile
replied December 21st, 2009
Paranoia is ruining my life!! UGH!!
I feel the same as all of you. I'm 13 and I CONSTANTLY think I'm having some sort of health issue. I had pain in my side that didn't go away for five days, and even though I knew it wasn't, I thought it was appendicitis. Whenever I have pains in my chest, I'm always scared it's a heart attack, or lung problem, and I am always suffering from panic attacks, some so bad that I have to sit down and almost start hyperventilating. It's like a part of my brain says "No, you're fine, stop telling yourself that's not true," and then my other half is saying "OMG OMG OMG OMG YOU'RE DYING! GO TO A HOSPITAL!!!!" and that side always wins! My family doesn't have enough money to get CAT scans or Cardio tests or anything like that, so I have to go based on regular doctor vists where they check my heart and lungs. I'm scared more than anything about dying, and I've gone to the point that my dad doesn't believe me when I say I might be dying (He's right too, don't get me wrong, but him brushing me off and just saying, "you're fine!" makes me even more worried!)

I hate this! I really do! I wish that I could convince myself that I was totally fine, but I can't! I have panic attacks sometimes at night, and it's so bad sometimes that I literally can't sleep, and end up having to lie awake for hours. I want to go to the doctor almost once a week, and again, we don't have money for that. I kinda want to go to thearpy, ONLY because I've heard it helps with anxeity...but I'm scared that the therapist will think I'm metally disabled because I worry so much (which I'm not) or tell me that I need serious help or something.

You're not alone, believe me, and I wish I could get rid of this depression, panic attacks and whatever the hell else, and be done with it. I really do wish I could finally realize I'm FINE. I've been like this since about two years ago, and all my stress is causing me to always be tired, have extreme headaches, get dizzy sometimes, and have trouble sleeping along with the paranoia. It's awful, and I hope one day I finally will stop and live like I should, because one day I WILL die, and I'll look back on it and say, "I just wasted my whole life worrying about nothing."

If only I could convince myself of all that I just said. :\
|

i do yhis too,made myself really sick,i learned to pray and it took aloy of this away...he will help you
|

replied December 28th, 2009
Appreciation (and some advice) form someone like you.
I am comforted by all that I have read here. I go through the same cycles of fear that all of you have discussed. The specifics may vary, but the theme is exactly the same. In fact, I was going through a period of worrying, when I decided to search the phrase "constant fear of having a heart attack." That is how I found this forum. All of you should know that you're not alone in this cycle, and that the only way to break it is to shine light on it. When I travel for work, I imagine that I am speaking in front of an audience, and I announce all my feared ailments as if they were fact ("Hello, my name is Jason, and I suffer from [going literally from head to toe]"). I say this out loud, and realize how ridiculous it all is. Also, think for how long you have worried, and how nothing bad has ever happened! You have NEVER died! And you (and me, just like you) have missed out on a lot of living. That's not cause for beating ourselves up, but it IS motivation to change the way we live. I wish you all a new year with greatly lessened anxiety!!! J
|

replied January 14th, 2010
thank god for this site....i feel the same way, worry all the time at night is the worst for me....i felt like i cudn't breathe waking up suddenly gasping for air in the middle of the day too, scared i'm gonna die of 15 different things, heart attack, stroke etc. omg, this site is a blessing, i'm trying not to focus on it all the time, staying busy helps....i'm stopping smoking too...
|

replied February 15th, 2010
HI all of you. im glad to know that im not the only one. My name is Jordan, im 19 and I've suffered horrible anxiety practically all my life. I've had a fear of going to school and been almost completely anti-social from as far back as i can remember. Things weren't so bad until my 15th birthday when(this is really ridiculous) i was playing a video game and forgot to save it, i started a new run on the game and kept reminded myself "next time you go back to the menu, remember to save it". that thought wouldnt leave my mind at all. i kept telling myself in my head over and over again that i needed to save that game and it wouldnt leave my head. i scared myself to death that whole night til i thought of going to bed. i thought maybe in the morning i would forget about it and it would leave my head. it didnt. everday from then on ive never been the same. i never looked or thought the same and i would create new things in my head to never forget about. i was able to manage it by the time i was going to be 17. i wasnt back to normal but i did suppress the repetitiveness in my head for a couple more years and i was fine with that. i havent been successful: dropped out of school my senior year from thinking it wasnt worth it, no job and fear of getting one cuz i think i wont keep it. but still i didnt feel like what im about to tell you.

this past janurary i was misdiagnosed with a peptic ulcer cuz of a blood test due to stomach pains and excessive belching. it was on a friday. then monday i was out driving with my friends and went to go buy a bb gun for my buddy. After, we got in the car and he told me and my other friend that we should go shooting out windows. them 2 agreed to it but i was kind of hesitant. after they convinced me i started feeling like my mouth was dry and i wasnt taking deep enough breaths. i tried not to panic but it seemed like it was getting worse. i tried not to worry my friends but it was getting to out of control. i know now that i was having a panic attack but didnt realize it at the time. i kept asking them for water but no matter how much i drank my mouth still kept being dry. i told them to take me home and i just laid their in bed thinking it was my stomach ulcer. the next day i laid in bed not being able to concentrate and felt like my mind wasnt in my head. stayed in bed the whole day except when i would get up and do the bad routine of looking up stuff about the ulcer on the internet and actually looked up things about panic attacks cuz i knew i have anxiety. some things calmed me down but some of it didnt. i went to my doctor and when i was in the there started having constant sharp chest pains on my left side. told the doc and he just said go to the e.r.. had an ekg done and chest xrays. told me everything was fine. went home, was starting to feel better then a couple of days later started feeling tinglings in my arms and such. thought i saw blood in my stool. so i thought the ulcer was bleeding. went to go see a gi specialist and had an endoscopy done. turns on there was no ulcer but gastritis and a hiatal hernia.

since then ive been having on and off attacks thinking they were from the gastritis or hernia but last night i was watching a movie and started hearing wind outstide and thought my ears were ringing. then went into the same attack i thought was from the gastritis. couldnt concentrate, cold and sweaty hands and feet. then i realized that im not having those attacks from my stomach problems but from anxiety. i have been fearing heart attacks and other things. im even more afraid of getting a job cuz i think im gonna have attacks while at the job and it will be humiliating. im afraid to even go down the street to the park cuz im away from home. this cold feet thing is really getting to me. every time i hurt in the smallest of spots i think somethings wrong with me. it really depressing and i just thought i could share more confusing but in depth key points i think my have contributed to my panic attacks now. even simple things like a cold or flu feel like they're lasting longer than they should.
|

replied April 16th, 2010
panic
so glad i am not the only one i have been suffering panic for the last year scared al drop dead with a heart attack it began when my mum drop dead in front of me i dont feel the same cant drive my car incase it happens to me but i know it wont my mum had alot of heath problems
|