Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Mysterious 'scab' Growing On Skin

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
Just a few days ago I noticed a small scab on the crease of my skin where the armpit meets the back. It is in an awkward position so that when I lift or bend my arm I can feel it. It appears to have gotten larger within the days. I don't remember being cut or scratching myself, although it does resemble a cigarette burn but hasn't pussed or healed like one would. It is the only sort on my body and will just not go away. It doesn't itch, but when I move a certain way it slightly aches so I know its there. I do get dry skin in the winter, but not like this.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 6th, 2005
Thats Really Sounding Bad
:shock:

that sounds a lot like skin cancer, my mother just got a melanoma cut out of her--and she didn't have to go on chemo only because she had caught it so early--i saw your post was made back in march so i'm sure you checked it out by now if thats what it is. I hope that you have figured it out. Best of luck.
|

replied July 28th, 2009
Help.
I just recently noticed a scab exactly like the one you described and was wondering if you could tell me what yours turned out to be.
|

replied July 31st, 2009
Me too
I've been suffering from something like this for about 6 months. Did you ever get a diagnosis?
|

User Profile
replied July 31st, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Although skin cancer is always a possibility with things like this (especially when we haven't seen the spot and are only going on a description), it sounds more like eczema to me, (aka. dermatitis). They usually itch, but sometimes they don't. If it it eczema, it's not contagious or serious, although it can be uncomfortable. Keep the area moisturized with hypoallergenic cream or lotion. It's probably caused by contact with something you are allergic to, so avoid any non-hypoallergenic soaps, lotions, etc.

Regardless, you should see your doctor (maybe even a dermatologist if it's particularly bad) to have it checked out.
|

replied July 31st, 2009
the ones I have appear first as scabs, but then fall off and underneath appears a red-ish tone of skin that is still in the process of fully healing. I've seen 3 doctors, one of internal medicine, and a dermatologist that has been in practice for 40 years. Furthermore, I've had a biopsy, urinalysis, culture, and a blood test. They do not itch, puss, or hurt in any way. They originated on my lower back but have spread everywhere. I think it could be a very unusual reaction to something or possibly mold. Any ideas would be nice.
|

User Profile
replied July 31st, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Did the doctors pose any ideas about what it could be? After all of that, they must have some idea, right?

When they do heal, is there any mark or scar left? Do they take more or less time to heal than a regular scab would? How many of them do you have at one time?
|

replied August 1st, 2009
Hydro-cortisone?
I'm not 100% sure if what I have is the same thing as what you guys are all talking about, but I had a dark burn-like scab on my hipbone. I thought it was a really extreme case of ringworm, so I put some anti-fungal on it. Nothing happened.
After a couple of days, I decided to put some hydro-cortisone cream on the 'burn/scab' and it's slowly going away. I suggest attempting this. : )
|

replied September 15th, 2011
Mysterious scab like burn
Two nights ago I woke up with what sounds like the same thing.. A dark scab like burn on my lower back about the size of a quarter. It indents and does not hurt to touch. I went to the walk in and the doc told me it was a burn I had gotten a few days ago, handed me a bunch of bandaids, ointment & sent me on my way. It is so bazaar to me because I feel like I would have known if I had this a few days ago. I was at the gym, went in a sauna, showered (would have noticed then), changed in the same room as friends (who would have seen), and got a back rub from my bf (who also would have said something). Therefore If this were a burn/cut I feel like I would have definitely noticed when i got it. If anyone has any idea of what this could be please reply I'm getting super freaked out!
|
Quick Reply