Medical Questions > Abortion > Medical Abortion Forum

Abortion of Twins.....

Must Read
A D&C is a standard procedure. But it can be scary when you don't know what to expect. Learn about what happens during dilation and curettage to prepare yoursel...
Dilation and curettage, or D & C for short, is a procedure that is used to diagnose and treat a number of womens health conditions. What are some goals of a D a...
A D&C usually is free of problems, and the recovery period for the procedure is short. But knowing about possible complications can help you detect problems ea...
I know that according to the uk abortion act of 1967 a child (unless would result in death, etc) can be aborted up to 24 weeks - is the age range different for twins? After all, you have 2 ages to consider.

Thanks in advance - replies would be appreciated asap.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 21st, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Well, the twin fetuses would be the same age. But likely also (1) slow to develop, and (2) likely to be born earlier. So those two factors kind of work against eah other. The only ones who know are probably british lawyers/barristers.
|

replied March 2nd, 2005
Experienced User
If you are considering abortion you really need to look into it from all angles....Its not just about the procedure there are other issues you may want to think about....Emotional side etc!
I had an abortion 2 years ago and I wont really go into it, but I wish I has access to information that I didnt then. The bpas (who I went through) do give you lots of info about the procedure, but they dont give you much info about your baby and emotions...How you may feel etc.
They are supposed to give you councelling to make sure you have made the right decision (they have to by law)....But they dont actually give you councelling, they ask you a couple of questions and get you to sign a form to say they asked you those questions!!!
Anyways....Just look into it properly, not just from the abortion clinics point of view because you have to understand that they do make money out of what they do...And even though they are open and give you info you need, in someways its biasted! (i could give you examples if you really want to hear) pm me if you like!

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Sarah x
|

replied March 3rd, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Don't make blanket claims about all clinics, though. Remember that the physician of ten makes a lot more money by following the pregnancy to term, after all.

And also remember that the mood problems from an abortion is not nearly as common as the feeling of relief.

But again, it is your body, and as sch, what matters is what you really want to do.
|

replied March 3rd, 2005
Experienced User
Steen - I wasnt saying this about all clinics! Even the one that I went to everyone was very nice, the procedure its self was painless, the clinic was very clean etc....But because they have so many girls in and out all day long they dont actually have the time to go into lengthy councelling, but there are only two clinics I can speak for on this (i went to a clinic in london with a friend of mine also). As for the clinics making more money out of a continued pregnancy than aborting I dont think that is the case in this country. Abortion clinics are either private or partly covered by the nhs...If you qualify your abortion is free of charge to you but the nhs cover the costs if not it can costs arround £300 - £700. We dont have to pay for medical care throughout a pregnancy, even perscriptions are free!

I was given some contradicting information both before and after my abortion, I wont go into it though, not on this thread. But I do have my reasons for thinking that some of the information is slightly biased. (steen - have a look on the bpas website about thinking about your choices).

I have a few friends and know a few people who have had abortions and most of them do feel relief afterwards and hardly ever look back!

I wasnt trying to put you off having one done...I was trying to get you to look into it fully because its a big decision either way! (i think that ive got the impression that steen thinks i'm trying to put you off! But honestly i'm not..!) I just wish I had someone there to say...Block out what everyone is telling you..Think for you...Look into it from all angles!

Good luck! X
|

replied March 3rd, 2005
Experienced User
Just been floating arround the other forums and realised you are a guy! Sooooo I dont really think that age comes into it if you havent got a uterus! :lol:

is it for a girlfiend or friend you are asking?!

I hope you find what you are looking for anyways! :wink:
|

replied March 5th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
And some women feel both. With some the relief overcomes the guilt, and with some the guilt overcomes the relief. It depends on the woman, and when making the decision all of this, with many other factors, need to be taken into account.
Good luck.
|

replied March 10th, 2005
Active User, very eHealthy
jlee77 wrote:
"and also remember that the mood problems from an abortion is not nearly as common as the feeling of relief."

i have a hard time believing this. I'm sure it goes both ways but I would say that more woman probably feel some sort of guilt, shame, or sadness over "relief".
Just an opinion.

an unfounded opinion. The american psychological association has found that, "well-designed studies of psychological responses following abortion have consistently shown that risk of psychological harm is *low*. Some women experience psychological dysfunction following abortion, but post-abortion rates of distress and dysfunction are *lower* than pre-abortion rates. Moreover, the percentage of women who experience clinically relevant distress is small and appears to be *no greater* than in general samples of women of reproductive age. A recent study showed not only that rates of disorders, such as depression and posttraumatic stress disorder (ptsd), were *not elevated* in a large sample of 442 women followed for two years post-abortion, but also that the incidence of ptsd was *actually lower in women post-abortion than the rate in the general population* (adler et al., 2002)."

they further hold that, "available data show that mean scores on psychological measures are *well within normal bounds* for minors as well as for adults who have undergone an abortion. The data *do not* suggest that legal minors are at heightened risk of serious adverse psychological responses compared with adults following an abortion or with peers who have not undergone an abortion (zabin et al., 1989)."

what's more is that they also found that, "freely chosen legal abortion, particularly in the first trimester, has *not* been found to be associated with severe psychological trauma, despite the fact that it occurs in the stressful context of unwanted pregnancy. The time of greatest stress is *before* the abortion. A woman’s emotional responses after experiencing an unwanted pregnancy terminated by abortion are complex and may involve a combination of positive and negative emotions. Positive emotions are *more often experienced*, and they are experienced *more strongly* than negative emotions, both immediately after the abortion and during the months following it (russo & zierk, 1992)."

more: "in studying responses to abortion, one needs to take into account the circumstances of the conception, as well as those following conception. If the conception is planned, the resulting pregnancy is likely to be wanted. However, changing circumstances (e.G., separation from one’s partner or adverse results of genetic testing) may cause an initially planned, intended, and wanted conception to become an unwanted pregnancy. The circumstances leading to this change may themselves be sources of stress and distress, and should be taken into account in evaluating a woman’s response following abortion. That is, in some cases, it is the *unwanted pregnancy* that is the source of stress, *not necessarily the abortion* (adler, 1992)."

basically, after decades of study, the american psychological association has found time and time again that the majority of women who obtain an abortion do not feel any lingering or long term negative emotional effects. Most experience feelings of relief and experience those feelings more strongly than any negative feelings. The stress in the situation is the *unplanned pregnancy* and .N.O.T the abortion itself.

However, I just realized that this is off topic. Che, I will be e-mailing a good friend of mine who is in the uk and will ask her to get back in touch with me with the information you are asking about.

Peace,
jenn
|

replied March 10th, 2005
I forgot to add that I found the above information here: http://www.Apa.Org/ppo/issues/womenabortfa cts.Html

be sure to check your capitalization should you try to visit the site.
|

replied March 31st, 2005
Experienced User
I'm going to have to agree with jlee on this one! :shock:
i dont believe the statistics, most of those statistics come from reserach within clinics, but also, alot of girls dont like to admit their abortion was a mistake. I know about 6 girls who have had an abortion and only one felt relief. The others can cope and get on with life, but they occasionly cry and think about the baby alot. I dont really think that you can judge a womans feelings on a chart from medical documents. Abortion is a sad traumatic thing to go through, even though a woman may feel it was the right decision, doesnt mean she wont feel sad and regret her decision occasionally.
|

replied March 31st, 2005
I'm sorry but this discusion belongs in the debate forum come on guys you know better.
|
Quick Reply