Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lupus Forum

Lupus And Birth Control?

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
I am new to this sight and hoping that someone can help me. I was diagnosed with lupus in march 2002. So I guess it has been about 3 years now. I had a severe flare in the beginning, thats how I found out. At the time I was on birth control. My first doctor told me to get off. I stop taking them, and started taking plaquenil. About 1 year ago, I stop taking the plaquenil also. I have not had a flare up in almost 2 years.

I would like to try birth control pills again. My new doctor said that for most lupus patients, a low dose bc pill works fine. It may even help reduce flare ups. A year ago I tried for 3 days, and started to get joint pain so I stopped. But the blood tests I took just before this was spiked. So I don't know if I tried the pill just when I was getting a fare up or if it caused a flare up.

Has anyone had any experience with bc and lupus?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 29th, 2005
Lupus And Birth Control?
I've been taking bc for 2-3 yrs now. I do have families history of lupus on my maternal side. I've recently tested ana and found out it's positive. I guess I have had it all my life but didn't know about it. I'm not sure if i'm paranoid or not, but I did noticed that I have foul odor when I first started taking bc. I've told my obgyn n she just ignored n didn't respond. She just think I have uti. I'm not seeing a rheumatologist since i'm not having any flares up, not as of yet. I'm still taking bc pills, I do noticed that from time to time I get dizzy/fatigue, my body feels hot/cold, I sweat a lot too, and blure vision. Is that lupus symptoms for flares up or something else? Should I continue to take bc or stop the medication? Javascript:emoticon(':cry:')
crying or very sad
|

replied November 14th, 2005
Bc And Lupus
I take the depo provera shot- I was told by the doctor that this is the only one you can take on lupus because and extra estrogen will cause flare up- I have never taken pills, but I have never had any problems on the depo and I have been on depo for 3 years now.
|

replied August 25th, 2011
B C caused Lupus, antiphospholipid syndrome,protein c/s deffi
Well ladies...its a little known face that any hormone producing pill can cause Lupus..Thats actually how I have it....the leading races with Lupus is African American and Hispanics...not Ironic!!! Its because they are actuallty the top in birth control consumption aswell!! they actually left me with LUPUS, ANTIPHOSPHOLIPID SYNDROME, AND PROTEIN C AND S DEFFICIENCY! My OB/GYN whom is a Reproductive Endocrinologist, refuses to write a prescription for me some birth control!!!! It is a death sentence....CLOTTING can Kill!!
|

replied December 14th, 2011
Lupus and Birth Control
I had been on birth control since the age of 15 due to cysts on my ovaries. I went off birth control one year ago in June. This past October, I was diagnosed with Lupus. Does anyone know of a connection between Birth control suppressing Lupus???? I find it interesting that I could have had Lupus for a long time, but never had any symptoms while on Birth control!
|

replied January 10th, 2012
I have read a few studies that have found links between Lupus and birth control, however, none of them state BC as the direct cause of Lupus. Most of the research shows that BC can contribute to Lupus flares or evolution in those who are already predisposed or have a family/genetic history of lupus. I was diagnosed with Lupus in 2005 and had NEVER taken birth control before that, so I developed Lupus 100% without the use of birth control. I started BC about 2 years after I was diagnosed and had no side effects or flare-ups while on BC. I recently started taken BC again after a year break and have no problems yet. My rheumatologist doesn't seem to think there is a problem with taking it as long as you are monitored while on it. Hope this helps!
|