Medical Questions > Debate Forums > Abortion Debate Forum

Bodily Autonomy

What is bodily autonomy?
Pro-choice claim it is a right to do with your body,what you wish to do,without interference.

Do you have bodily autonomy in a relationship?

I ask this because I wish to show that no one has bodily autonomy,because everything we do as an affect on someone else.

Today is my 9th wedding anniversary and I was thinking,if i\my wife have bodily autonomy then in effect we can do what we wish.I or my wife can go out and have an affair and the other partner cannot argue,bodily autonomy and all that.Then there would be tears,arguments and recriminations.So does that stop the right to bodily autonomy.If a woman decides that she is having an abortion but the man does'nt want her to,there will be tears arguments and recriminations,again does that not count as affecting someone else.I can tell you for fact that it does affect someone other than the woman.

So do we give up our right to bodily autonomy when we enter into a relationship?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 10th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Re: Bodily Autonomy
foreverblue wrote:
what is bodily autonomy?

Pro-choice claim it is a right to do with your body,what you wish to do,without interference.

I ask this because I wish to show that no one has bodily autonomy,because everything we do as an affect on someone else.

Today is my 9th wedding anniversary and I was thinking,if i\my wife have bodily autonomy then in effect we can do what we wish.I or my wife can go out and have an affair and the other partner cannot argue,bodily autonomy and all that.Then there would be tears,arguments and recriminations.So does that stop the right to bodily autonomy.If a woman decides that she is having an abortion but the man does'nt want her to,there will be tears arguments and recriminations,again does that not count as affecting someone else.I can tell you for fact that it does affect someone other than the woman.

So do we give up our right to bodily autonomy when we enter into a relationship?
hmm, are you saying that there should be a law restricting her sexuality? That it would be illegal to have an affair? Do we now need a law for that as well?

(on the other hand, it is essentially a breech of contract, of a marriage comittment. The pregnant women who abort have never made such a committment to the fetus, so I am not sure this applies.)
|

Active User, very eHealthy
steen wrote:
foreverblue wrote:
what is bodily autonomy?

hmm, are you saying that there should be a law restricting her sexuality? That it would be illegal to have an affair? Do we now need a law for that as well?

(on the other hand, it is essentially a breech of contract, of a marriage comittment. The pregnant women who abort have never made such a committment to the fetus, so I am not sure this applies.)

what about those unmarried ones steen and that is pure bs,bodily autonomy means I or my wife can have sex behind the others back causing pain splitting up relationships but that has got to be alright because of bodily autonomy.Why even though I put me or my wife did you need to say restricting her sexuality not our sexuality.Oh by the way she enters into a contract with her partner.I know of a good wood supplier for your smokescreen steen.Is'nt it funny how bodily autonomy is ok if you want to abort or if you are a woman but not for men,bit sexist don't you think.Are you saying people should just be allowed to have affairs if they want steen,what about basic morals,love and commitment,same commitment you have when you get pregnant.Do you need everything to become law before you will accept it,what about morals steen they are not law but most people follow morals.
|

Extremely eHealthy
foreverblue wrote:
steen wrote:
foreverblue wrote:
what is bodily autonomy?

what about those unmarried ones steen
well, I was replying to your post that talked about being married. What is it you would say about it if they were not married? If I know the difference in your position, then I can reply.
Quote:
and that is pure bs,bodily autonomy means I or my wife can have sex behind the others back causing pain splitting up relationships but that has got to be alright because of bodily autonomy.
it means that it is not illegal, that you can not physically control what she does with her body. You can not lock her up. You can not force her legally to be a prostitute or to have or not have an abortion.
Quote:
why even though I put me or my wife did you need to say restricting her sexuality not our sexuality.Oh by the way she enters into a contract with her partner.I know of a good wood supplier for your smokescreen steen.Is'nt it funny how bodily autonomy is ok if you want to abort or if you are a woman but not for men,bit sexist don't you think.
where did I object to bodily autonomy for men? Please don't misrepresent me or my views.
Quote:
are you saying people should just be allowed to have affairs if they want steen,
i am saying that it is not illegal, that we should not have laws that control other people's bodies. We should not have laws that mandate or prohibits abortions, organ donations, affairs, sky diving or anything like that. Keep the government out of people's bodies and private lives.
Quote:
what about basic morals,love and commitment,
that comes from voluntary consent, not being forced to do things.
Quote:
same commitment you have when you get pregnant.
only if it is a wanted or accepted pregnancy.
Quote:
do you need everything to become law before you will accept it,
no. But I do need for laws to not intrude into peoples rights to control their own bodies.
Quote:
what about morals steen they are not law but most people follow morals.
because they **choose** to do so. Because they see the value of doing so. People don't follow "morals" because they are forced to (and yes, there is nothing immoral about an abortion).

So if you want women to not abort, then you frankly have to make it worth their while. You have to make them chose to remain pregnant, or help them not get pregnnat in the first place.

That measn removing the prolife objections against contraceptions and sex-ed. It means not jumping on the prolife crusade against "welfare" and other support that makes the woman feel that she can actually get through the pregnancy and have anacceptable life afterwards. It means makming it easier to have kids while also going to school or work. It means a lot more support than what is given sofar. It essentially means a liberal society rather than a conservative one. Until you accept that switch, woemn are still at timnes going to feel that they need to have an abortion. You have made your choice regarding the political system you support. If you don't like the results, then the political system needs to be changed. It is that simple.

Are you voting conservative? Then you are voting for women wanting to have abortions. That is the consequense of your vote. Don't let women pay for your choice. If you don't want abortions, don't support political systems that push the women into having them.
|

steen wrote:
foreverblue wrote:
steen wrote:
foreverblue wrote:
what is bodily autonomy?

what about those unmarried ones steen
well, I was replying to your post that talked about being married. What is it you would say about it if they were not married? If I know the difference in your position, then I can reply.

Quote:
and that is pure bs,bodily autonomy means I or my wife can have sex behind the others back causing pain splitting up relationships but that has got to be alright because of bodily autonomy.
it means that it is not illegal, that you can not physically control what she does with her body. You can not lock her up. You can not force her legally to be a prostitute or to have or not have an abortion.

Quote:
why even though I put me or my wife did you need to say restricting her sexuality not our sexuality.Oh by the way she enters into a contract with her partner.I know of a good wood supplier for your smokescreen steen.Is'nt it funny how bodily autonomy is ok if you want to abort or if you are a woman but not for men,bit sexist don't you think.
where did I object to bodily autonomy for men? Please don't misrepresent me or my views.

Quote:
are you saying people should just be allowed to have affairs if they want steen,
i am saying that it is not illegal, that we should not have laws that control other people's bodies. We should not have laws that mandate or prohibits abortions, organ donations, affairs, sky diving or anything like that. Keep the government out of people's bodies and private lives.

Quote:
what about basic morals,love and commitment,
that comes from voluntary consent, not being forced to do things.

Quote:
same commitment you have when you get pregnant.
only if it is a wanted or accepted pregnancy.

Quote:
do you need everything to become law before you will accept it,
no. But I do need for laws to not intrude into peoples rights to control their own bodies.

Quote:
what about morals steen they are not law but most people follow morals.
because they **choose** to do so. Because they see the value of doing so. People don't follow "morals" because they are forced to (and yes, there is nothing immoral about an abortion).

So if you want women to not abort, then you frankly have to make it worth their while. You have to make them chose to remain pregnant, or help them not get pregnnat in the first place.

That measn removing the prolife objections against contraceptions and sex-ed. It means not jumping on the prolife crusade against "welfare" and other support that makes the woman feel that she can actually get through the pregnancy and have anacceptable life afterwards. It means makming it easier to have kids while also going to school or work. It means a lot more support than what is given sofar. It essentially means a liberal society rather than a conservative one. Until you accept that switch, woemn are still at timnes going to feel that they need to have an abortion. You have made your choice regarding the political system you support. If you don't like the results, then the political system needs to be changed. It is that simple.

Are you voting conservative? Then you are voting for women wanting to have abortions. That is the consequense of your vote. Don't let women pay for your choice. If you don't want abortions, don't support political systems that push the women into having them.

i am not an american steen or living in america so the vote does'nt work over here,all the partys in england are for abortion.I did not know that pro life are against contraception,i thought hat was religion,as for sex education better sex ed would be good.
|

" I was thinking,if i\my wife have bodily autonomy then in effect we can do what we wish.I or my wife can go out and have an affair and the other partner cannot argue"

this is exactly what they are promoting, dont you understand yet, marriage is evil in there eyes, its oppresive and controling, they dont want marriage because it is synominus with the family and the family is a represive male dominated arena where a women is expected to by means of mans social order to give birth and look after the child against her will, which is why she requires legalised abortion so she can have the enjoyment of sex without the consiqences, making her truely equal to men who have that freedom from these consiquences... And religion, well that is evil too because it promotes all these things... Marriage, family, life, and natural selection equality as pure good!

Women want to break free, free from themselves, from feminimity, they no longer want to be feminine, but masculine... Have a look at the youth

girls acting more and more like boys, boys acting more and more like girls, there playing with peoples minds.
|

izzy wrote:
" I was thinking,if i\my wife have bodily autonomy then in effect we can do what we wish.I or my wife can go out and have an affair and the other partner cannot argue"

this is exactly what they are promoting, dont you understand yet, marriage is evil in there eyes, its oppresive and controling, they dont want marriage because it is synominus with the family and the family is a represive male dominated arena where a women is expected to by means of mans social order to give birth and look after the child against her will, which is why she requires legalised abortion so she can have the enjoyment of sex without the consiqences, making her truely equal to men who have that freedom from these consiquences... And religion, well that is evil too because it promotes all these things... Marriage, family, life, and natural selection equality as pure good!

Women want to break free, free from themselves, from feminimity, they no longer want to be feminine, but masculine... Have a look at the youth

girls acting more and more like boys, boys acting more and more like girls, there playing with peoples minds.

who are they you just keep saying in thier eyes but whose eyes are you talking about?
|

Extremely eHealthy
foreverblue wrote:
i am not an american steen or living in america so the vote does'nt work over here,all the partys in england are for abortion.
ok.
Quote:
i did not know that pro life are against contraception,
you should think so. Notably, the catholic church is opposed to any kind of contraception. And so are the rightwingers. One famous quote from a famous rightwinger, phyllis schlafley is as follows when speaking out against contraception:
Quote:
it's very healthy for a young girl to be deterred from promiscuity by fear of contracting a painful, incurable disease, or cervical cancer, or sterility, or the likelihood of giving birth to a dead, blind, or brain-damaged baby (even ten years later when she may be happily married).

Quote:
i thought hat was religion,as for sex education better sex ed would be good.
you should think. But that is before you factor in the desire to control women through pregnancy.
|

steen wrote:
foreverblue wrote:
i am not an american steen or living in america so the vote does'nt work over here,all the partys in england are for abortion.
ok.

Quote:
you should think so. Notably, the catholic church is opposed to any kind of contraception. And so are the rightwingers. One famous quote from a famous rightwinger, phyllis schlafley is as follows when speaking out against contraception:
Quote:
it's very healthy for a young girl to be deterred from promiscuity by fear of contracting a painful, incurable disease, or cervical cancer, or sterility, or the likelihood of giving birth to a dead, blind, or brain-damaged baby (even ten years later when she may be happily married).

Quote:
you should think. But that is before you factor in the desire to control women through pregnancy.

i beleive in contraception and i'm pro life.
Contraception is the best way to cut down on social terminations.
|

Quote:
it's very healthy for a young girl to be deterred from promiscuity by fear of contracting a painful, incurable disease, or cervical cancer, or sterility, or the likelihood of giving birth to a dead, blind, or brain-damaged baby (even ten years later when she may be happily married).{quote]

very sick these people should not be allowed into power
|

"who are they you just keep saying in thier eyes but whose eyes are you talking about? "

well thats a hard one because on the face of it, it seems like feminism, but when you look into feminism, it has a twinge of marxist communism/nationalism

i often think of .N.O.W. As

nazi organisaton for women
|

izzy wrote:
"who are they you just keep saying in thier eyes but whose eyes are you talking about? "

well thats a hard one because on the face of it, it seems like feminism, but when you look into feminism, it has a twinge of marxist communism/nationalism

i often think of .N.O.W. As

nazi organisaton for women

nazi is a very derogatery name to be bandying around.

I don't think wanting = rights could be classed as nazism.
|

I will say it again, its not about protecting rights or promoting equality, perhaps you should do some research into feminism, before you judge what I say.
|

Extremely eHealthy
foreverblue wrote:
Quote:
very sick these people should not be allowed into power
phyllish schlafley has the ear of the president.
|

Extremely eHealthy
fishx wrote:
steen wrote:
foreverblue wrote:
ok.
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
i beleive in contraception and i'm pro life.

Contraception is the best way to cut down on social terminations.
ah, why can't it be people like you who run the political prolife organizations? Then we could probably have reached a workable solution long ago.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Comparing abortion to faithfulness to one's spouse is very strange, but okay.
Yeah, if your wife went out and cheat on you it would hurt and cause all kinds of grief, but it is still her body and her right. Just as it is your body and your right to do the same. Whether or not you do it depends on your love for one each other. Just because you are married doesnt' mean that you own her or she owns you. If she wants to have a mole removed or a tubal litigation she doesn't need your permission, same for abortion. You aren't the one who is pregnant. She is, and it is her right to do what she sees best.
|

replied February 11th, 2005
hotasfrick wrote:
comparing abortion to faithfulness to one's spouse is very strange, but okay.

Yeah, if your wife went out and cheat on you it would hurt and cause all kinds of grief, but it is still her body and her right. Just as it is your body and your right to do the same. Whether or not you do it depends on your love for one each other. Just because you are married doesnt' mean that you own her or she owns you. If she wants to have a mole removed or a tubal litigation she doesn't need your permission, same for abortion. You aren't the one who is pregnant. She is, and it is her right to do what she sees best.

but what about what is best for the family?
Termination although only physicaly affects the woman emotionly it affects the whole family.
I just do not see how a wife ,girlfriend, sister, daughter would see a family of emotional wrecks as being for the best
|

replied February 11th, 2005
"but it is still her body and her right. Just as it is your body and your right to do the same"

well, when people get married (christian) they take vows, these vows as chesterton puts it is "making a date withones self in the future" it is a vow and although there is nothing physicaly stopping us from cheating, its only our word and we are only as good as our word, we actually give up our right to go out with other people not by social law but by gods law, if one is unwilling to commit themselves to that sort of thing, people should not get married and if this is not a fundemental idea of marriage then there is no point in it
|